Granular hardware : options?

This app almost makes me want to get an iPad, I remember having a lot of fun with this app !

@sndrsklr to use it as an FX, one would need to have some sort of waveform buffer that gets continuously overridden by an input: do you know it this is possible?

I have been noodling around with DT for granular stuff. Especially since the addition of an extra LFO (that can modulate LFO 1).
Using sample start/loop points as destinations amongst others, results were surprising :slight_smile:
As stated above, no manipulation of live input possible… For that, I would look at Tasty Chips GR-1 or better modular stuff although I have no idea about modular :joy:

2 Likes

Did you mean Tasty Chips…

2 Likes

Sure, but also, there’s dozens of suggestions already in this thread alone of capable hardware.

Seems possible from a quick look (currently at work so can‘t look deeply i to it :wink: )

2 Likes

If you get this, you get their reverb and stereo distortion also, because each firmware runs on each module. Of course, you can only run one at a time with one module. But it’s still a nice idea, and very tempting.

These suggestions are basically software with some knobs and buttons to control it. There isn’t a rigid separation between software and hardware, but granular options in pedals and Eurorack are more towards the software end than, say, an analog VCO or VCF.

I’ve been on the granular hardware hunt for a while now and I think Tasty Chips GR-1 is really the best hardware implementation of granular. I haven’t bought one yet but in the meantime I’m settling for Tardigrain.

It is. The buffer length is according to the size of the square.

Awesome.

I had forgotten how much I loved this app. This makes it even cooler.
OK, I’ll see if I can grab an iPad at work :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think that was the point he was driving at.
I want some controls, not a plug-in.
I just said hardware, not “analog” or the like.

@Tchu …yup…sorry…mybad…

i was talkin’ about tasty chips GR-1…no fruity chips to find out there, i guess… :wink:

aaaand i also gotto to admit…when it comes to granular…software solutions have way more options to offer at totally better pricetags…

1 Like

Well, I think I found what I’m looking for.
Grayscale Microcell.
The price is right, I’ll just have to see what I can do about putting a rack together. This is ok, I was doing that anyway, I’m moving toward a modular/semi-modular/hybrid setup with VCVRack as it is. This is good.

1 Like

I have quite a few granular options but Borderlands is most of the time the first I keep coming back to if I want to try something that involves granular.

1 Like

the Instruo Arbhar looks great too, but $650? nah

Microcell is Clouds, right (with alt firmware)? Clouds is available in VCV. Beads will be too eventually. Some Instruo is too but I would be surprised if Arbhar is.

Arbhar can do like 6 layers I think and has an integrated microphone. It’s pretty cool.

I have Beads. I adore it.

yeah, Supercell is in VCV

I’m trying to get out of the box as much as possible. Maybe just using VCV for utility stuff. That’s in another thread.

(on a side note: I LOVE Marbles)

1 Like

Totally. Borderlands is genuinely fabulous, but I have much more fun playing Beads.

I see your OT and raise you another

Ive been using Marbles in MiRack and it is truly great. If I see a silver Pachinko in Europe, Ill probably scoop it.

1 Like

Gotharman’s Deformers and FXDeformer are (really) amazing.

I know some will say its expensive.
But its often possible to find those second hand. And its really out of this world.
And on top of the granular fx, you get many many useful things (sampling and resampling, digital synthesis, as many lfos as you can imagine, a very powerful sequencer, envelope followers, noises, …)

1 Like

Norns deserves a mention. Lotsa interesting granular scripts on it.

2 Likes