Google Podcasts shutting down, so where do you guys listen to podcasts?

Hi folks. I’ve been using Google Podcasts since a bit before Stitcher died. Now Google is killing the podcast app, so I have to find something else.

I used to use iTunes but I replaced my iPod with an android phone for most listening. Also, iTunes/Apple Podcasts, uh, sucks.

I refuse to download Spotify.

Any suggestions?

I use the Overcast app. Plus, Apple’s podcast app has gotten a lot better recently.

https://overcast.fm

5 Likes

Apple podcasts here. And YouTube on brave is where i listen to the most :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Overcast is tip top.

2 Likes

another one for the graveyard?

looks like it’s being merged into Youtube Music though…

2 Likes

YouTube for me

Why do you refuse to use spotify?

I’m in the audiobooks/podcast industry and spotify pays publishers better than anything else. More than google, apple, audible (and many others) for sure.

3 Likes

I was a Google Podcasts user, and about 2 months ago switched to Pocket Casts. No complaints so far, in fact it’s better in many ways. Can’t listen on a desktop computer without paying, however.
I’m using it on an Android phone.

1 Like

brave is the way for all things

edit: i also use Spotify premium.

1 Like

Spotify is honestly the best I’ve used for podcasts. Overcast is good too.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it will be YouTube from now on. I don’t listen to many podcasts anyway.

don’t find their app very podcast specific. Not as easy to organise your feeds etc as a standalone app.

I use PockeCasts on iOS or Youtube premium most of the time. I try to listen to audiobooks more than podcasts… better ROI on my time.

I tried Overcast years ago and it was really clunky, but I guess it’s better now.

But I like Overcast in theory because it tied into my local library, so I could listen to most audiobooks for free on it. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks, all!

apple, youtube, stitcher, iheartradio… i usually just google the podcast and see where it lives then pick the easiest way to listen. there’s only a couple podcasts i listen to regularly so i follow those on apple podcasts and youtube.

I’m so fuckin pissed about this.

Last year I made a concerted effort to take my podcast listening away from Spotify and that led me to Google podcast which I loved. After following everyone I normally follow…they killed it.

Now I’m back on Apple podcast which is what I used to listen to whenever I started listening to podcasts yeeaaars ago.

It’s fine, its actually gotten a lot better then it used to be.

Its def not any better or any worse then Google podcast was/is.

But yeah, if anyone is wondering why Spotify sucks whenever they do prob pay out more to podcasters/audiobooks…they are making a big push into that space.

Just look at their home page.

But they actually have a clause if you sign onto an audiobook that they own your characters in perpetuity and can do whatever they want with them.

Fuck Spotify.

1 Like

The podcast app that comes with iPhone

I use Spotify since whenever it was that the Joe Rogan Experience podcast moved there. He’s back on YouTube as well now unfortunately, having to deal with all their silly censorship and whatnot. I hope he moves away from YouTube. Anyway I still use Spotify as it’s easy to cast the video to a Google screen and not be bombarded with ads.

another vote for overcast + youtube. i listen mostly to dj sets and youtube is the best for that. I wish spotify had more podcast sets

For me, nothing beats AntennaPod. A good quality application, open source, and community-driven.

1 Like