Glue Compressor settings for Octatrack

By “entire mix” you mean having a compressor on every track, right?

Thanks for sharing!

I mean having track 8 as master. Then everything in my set up goes through that master track with compressor.
(so samples from OT, synth and drum machine via thru machines)

3 Likes

Oh ok - that’s what I was thinking. I tried that out this morning, and with a little tweaking, I think I like the results! Cheers.

2 Likes

well, i do not play tek house etc … so, my settings would not help you in any way … am into songs … but try it yourself using your ears ( always the best tool :slight_smile: ) you’ll be nicely surprised

2 Likes

I never gave it a real chance until recently. Guess I didnt quite ‘believe’ in it. But so true

1 Like

I really would like the Octa shows metters on the Compressor page, so we can actually see what is happening :frowning:

4 Likes

I actually prefer dialing in compression and eq by ear. Better results in general compared to having graphics guide me. Although it felt kinda weird at first, like smt was missing. Spoilt by daw, I guess^^
Nowadays I also like to use midi controllers (without looking at the plugins ofc) for mixing tasks in my daw.

3 Likes

I don’t think the OT compressor is bad, far from it, but I wasn’t happy running drums and melody through it on T8. I’m getting better results with an external compressor. I run channels with drum and perc out of cue, and into a Klark Teknik compressor/limiter (DN 504). It’s quite transparent (transistor based, not analog thus faster), doesn’t colour the sound much, but gives drums real punch and pull. It’s quad so two more channels for the master buss on the mixer. Quality s/h compressors in good condition can be had at good prices!

And I save a valuable channel on the OT:-); and of course melody / non percussive tracks out of the main can be sent to fx on the mixer separately of drums.

This setup is geared towards a live set rather than producing tracks. I have an accomplice with a Nord Drum and, as is, the ND and OT drums are submixed before the going into the compressor. I now need to figure out how to get the Kick on the OT into the sidechain input for channels 3 and 4 of the compressor, but that’s another matter!

1 Like

Hi,

im owning OT2 since 2 years.

started using OT2 for mastering a few month ago, and i can say the compressor is really amazing.
using in a hardware chain after SSL Fusion, ot2 comp on fx1 and dj eq on fx2 (track8/master), i get amazing results.
OT2 is a top secret mastering machine, well done elektron !
i would buy it again just for this purpose

5 Likes

it is a good compressor indeed

I set it mostly like

Attack: 18-25
rls: 75-85
Thrs: 50 - 65
Gain 8
Mix : 112-max

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I have trouble not squashing the heck out of stuff with the OT compressor. I’ll have to give this a try later.

1 Like

this is what i set on track 8 as master track compressor, sounds pretty here

Thanks
What sort of ratio?

1 Like

You prefer the OT compressor over the Fusion’s compressor? That is quite something - Elektron should put that in their marketing.

Fusion compressor is a high frequency compressor. You can turn it into the LMC compressor, but neither are for mastering/leveling duties.

1 Like

Thanks for correcting me. I scanned the product page and read “the legendary Stereo Bus Compressor”, but missed that they were just listing the “SSL sonic legacy”.

I’ve obviously never used one. Maybe one day.

1 Like

32-35

4 Likes

if you raise the gain to +8 stay lower in mix like 112, if you go max in mix lower the gain to taste.

4 Likes

OT just keeps giving doesn’t it, like no other machine!
I’m currently running an Avalon, VolcaFM, Tetra plus modular for sampling into mine and will try these settings out on the master track. I have a Rytm which does drums with its own comp, and finally a Virus that runs direct to the mixer along with OT & Rytm stereo outs.

That would leave the Virus outside any comp, and I wonder if I should be sampling it into OT first so it can be included, or if it might be good to have a synth sat outside compression to cut through things? Novice at thinking about master bus processing…

Haven’t run Virus through OT so far since it’s sounds and fx are more than capable by itself (and I don’t have any inputs left of course)

Virus thru AR compressor maybe…

Or instruments including virus > mixer > OT

1 Like