Glue Compressor settings for Octatrack

Legend. We need more people like you

What is it ? A compressor ?

It’s the mixer that Richie Hawtin was involved in designing.

https://playdifferently.org/model-1/

1 Like

It’s megabucks, but definitely seems like there are a billion bells and whistles. What “hole” did it fill in your setup?

1 Like

I’m a bit evangelical about it I guess, but I have found the aux send trick with dark reverb way more effective as glue than the compressor on the master track.

5 Likes

tell me more, i think i’ve missed this.

2 Likes
1 Like

No bells or whistles very straight forward analog mixer however the filters & the drives harmonic sound quality is absolutely insane (there are dsub connects maybe that’s what you meant) I’ve literally gone back to two track recording straight out of the mixer no need to bother with a daw anymore because you can literally sculpt the frequencies flawlessly on top of the analog harmonics this thing puts out it’s absolutely insane I am still floored by the quality of sound I’ve played a few shows with it and every show after people came up & asked me how did I get a live set to sound like mastered tracks it’s the fucking mixer! And of course some experience (I’ve been at this around 18 years) really no way to understand unless someone lets you borrow one for a month so you can hear it with everything you own and just get blown away one synth at a time

6 Likes

what is the entire setup of the liveset into the mixer? compression?

Can you compare it to a PX5? From A & H?

the model1 mixer sure does present as a highly creative mixer. “price on application” at an Australian store means a high price-tag. nice to dream about and get inspired to then work better with the current gear in the studio.

re/ the Supercolor_T-120 comment about a Glue Compression style of technique for the Octatrack, maybe the Dark Reverb aux send trick behaves a slightly compressing fashion, somehow achieving the gelling together of the musical elements going on with a track.

It was made for live preformance the px5 is better for djing cross fader 4 channels etc … you have 6 channels on the model1 master eq that can be switched on & off this will control your lo mid & hi on every channel together as one & a master preformance filter assignable on & off to every track this also can be assigned to fx the sculpting eq per track is ridiculous & the drive per track and fx is ridiculous

2 Likes

How to you set up sends on T1-7 whilst only having the dark reverb on T8?

Thanks!

You mean with T8 set as Master?
Recording and playing CUE with T7 if it’s the case…
Set CUE level per track.

You can also use T8 as Neighbor track.

1 Like

What about the ‘RMS: ?’

:slight_smile:

Hi team,

I use a Moog Minitaur for a lot of my basslines and in my current setup I happen to have Inputs C+D still free on my Octatrack. I was thinking of using the OT’s compressor (and maybe EQ) to help tame the Minitaur a bit so it behaves better in the mix. Any tips on good baseline compressor settings? (I do use the compressor on the master track for my entire mix, but I’ve honestly mostly copied recommended settings from other users or video tutorials as the settings are a bit of a mystery to me.)

My full rig includes:

• Various synths running into a Mackie mixer, with a couple reverb / delay send effects
  • mixer out into OT input A+B, with added samples and the mix running through the master track with compression
  • with this new experiment I’ll be running the Minitaur into the OT C+D inputs instead of the mixer

Basically I want to use the Minitaur’s low pass filter and some other tricks but have it sit better in the mix without overpowering everything else. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

This month i recorded OT/DT/DN through my apogee duet inside logic 9… Then i tried to record every sound inside the OT, then created a new prog and used conpressor/eq and the difference is huge. See the vid for more details about the effect on once brain :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByxnWdKoacj/

The OT is for me the way to go

4 Likes

I happen to use the same combo of machines, could you share thise eq/comp settings with us ? I also want my audio to receive the equivalent of a russian slap to the face :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have recently discovered the joy of running the entire mix through the OT compressor, oh my lord it has made a difference! Not sure how useful it is to share my settings since my sounds and how I mix will be totally different to everyone else, but… for the techno stuff I am working on…
Attack 23 Release 75 Threshold 65 Ratio 70 Gain 40 mix 127.

The loudest track in the mix would be the Kick set to no more than 70. Everything else is mixed lower than this so it pumps nicely.

I have main output level at zero. This gives me a peak of 0db input gain on my mixer. I also use LFOs to modulate the envelope of the Compressor. Sounds killer.

19 Likes

It is to me at least, always a learning experience, thank you :wink: