Ghosts of MIDI from Korg Radias->OT

Hey guys. I am up way too late trying to figure out why the MIDI learn functionality does not work when controlling my Korg Radias ( http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/radias.php ) with my Octatrack. I only got the OT about 2 weeks ago, so I am expecting to run into walls, but this is a new level of head-scratching.

I have all 4 timbres of the Radias being controlled by separate MIDI sequences on the OT. Cool, right? I want to now have the knobs in the MIDI section of the OT control, say, the cutoff of one timbre, through the MIDI CC section. So, I get into the MIDI learn menu, and twist the cutoff knob. Nothing changes. The OT does not pick up the MIDI CC. But then I notice… turning the knob on my Korg Radias mutes one of the MIDI tracks on the OT. I get curious, and start turning other knobs. Other tracks start getting muted, the whole track pauses, stops, plays… all of this happening, while the OT is telling me “we are waiting for you to turn a knob so we know what this CC is doing!”

I know that MIDI in and out are working, because I can hear the Radias being activated in the sequence, and obviously the OT is doing something in reaction to the Radias. I have heard that the MIDI implementation with the OT is a little difficult, but this is just odd. I have seen multitimbral synths be controlled by the OT before, so this is not an issue of incompatibility… is it? Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this s**t to work?

You most likely have some overlap between the MIDI channel numbers that you have set for the OT’s audio tracks and those for its MIDI sequencer tracks.

The OT has a comprehensive MIDI specification that allows a lot of control from external MIDI devices, and the Radias can also transmit a lot of messages from its front panel, arp, and sequences. If you have a MIDI channel number assigned to an audio track as well as a MIDI sequencer track, the incoming MIDI messages will likely be directed to the audio track.

If you can list out which MIDI channel numbers you have assigned to the various tracks on the OT and to the various timbres and global setting on the Radias, we can guide you through step-by-step.

Ironically, some users find that it’s actually easier to enter the appropriate CC numbers for their synth by checking the MIDI information in the applicable manual than trying to use MIDI Learn on the OT. The default CC values for the Radias (they can be customised) are given on page 151 of its manual.

2 Likes

I must admit, I am woefully new to both the OT and the Radias, and I have never understood the MIDI implementation on the Radias. Never had to, I guess, until now.

If I am understanding your question correctly, then my Radias timbres are assigned to MIDI channels 1, 2, 3, and 4, respectively. The OT has each of the 8 MIDI channels assigned in ascending order - so MIDI track 1 is assigned to MIDI channel 1, track 2 to MIDI 2, etc… All of my MIDI CC knobs in the MIDI section of the OT are turned off. As for audio tracks, none of the Radias’ outputs are going to a Thru track - just directly from input AB into the output of the OT. Maybe I am misunderstanding again.

Global settings on the Radias: routing is set for USB and MIDI, but USB isn’t plugged in to anything. Clock is Ext-MIDI. Global MIDI channel is set to 1 (could this be an issue - the overlap?).

I think that is everything. Thank you so much for your help.

1 Like

The OT’s 8 audio tracks can also receive MIDI messages. The MIDI channel numbers for these tracks are set in the PROJECT > MIDI > CHANNEL menu. For your MIDI Learn application, it’s usually best if these MIDI channel numbers do not overlap with those that you have set on the OT’s MIDI sequencer tracks.

1 Like

You solved my riddle!! I never understood the connection between those channels in the MIDI menu and the channels on the MIDI page of tracks. I turned those 1-8 off (since I’m not using anything external to control the samples) and now the OT immediately recognizes MIDI CC messages from the Radias!

You have been very helpful, thank you immensely! I wish there was a tip jar.

1 Like