Getting started with ios

I know this is an old thread, but I must ask - is Atom Piano Roll 2 still your preferred sequencing app, “all around”? I just saw your YT video on AUM x Xequence 2 (which is even older than this post). It looks like a good fit.

Do you typically still use both, (maybe for different uses) or just one?

1 Like

It’s funny, I’ve gone through a lot of MIDI sequencing options in iOS and never totally found the “one sequencer to rule them all” to the extent that I’m not convinced I ever will. I still use Atom 2 a lot, but it’s very limited in terms of drum sequencing. It’s great for melodic things and the clip approach is fantastic but I wish it had a grid based accompanying app that worked in the same ecosystem so that both things could operate in the same clip/Launchpad setup.

As that doesn’t (and likely won’t ever) exist, I use Polybeat alongside Atom 2 to provide all the things I need for sequencing drums and nom-melodic samples. It’s incredibly powerful with polyrhythmic functionality, probability and a load more elements that make it ideal for my needs. Also it works really well for sequencing effects which essentially allows me to parameter lock patterns on AUM channels regardless of what signals I’m sending through them. Honestly, what it’s capable of is absolutely absurd!

1 Like

I’m rapidly getting sucked into the AUv3 ecosystem. I got AUM and Rozeta to use with Koala and some other iOS synths/apps I already had.
Being able to split pads from Koala onto different channels is pretty awesome.
I just played for 4 hours straight on a flight - I think this is where I belong…
I didn’t pull the trigger on Atom or Xequence2 b/c I thought I’d just experiment with particles and collider and all the other Rozeta features first.
Atom looks more like what I’m used to. I’ll probably pick it up eventually.

1 Like

That’s a huge part of my workflow! Using Koala in AUM so that you can create effects chains for specific sounds makes such a massive difference for me. It’s perfect. Rozeta is great and would be essential for me for LFO alone. There are some really great scripts for Mozaic that add functionality to Koala. Eucalyptus is a great example, which adds round/random robin features by acting as a go-between when triggering Koala with a MIDI sequencer. Nexxxt does something similar too, but in a different way & it works beautifully with Danny’s other scripts, TweenMachine and FlipMaster

1 Like

You said it. The lfo is amazing. As many as you want! LFOs for days.

1 Like

@shankiphonic, This is how it starts. We are gonna ask you at the end of the year how much you spent on apps…

my advice, dont bother with 2.99 and 5.99 effects apps. you’re gonna buy a billion and use none of em. just bite the bullet and get decent effects right off the bat. toneboosters, fabfilter is a bit pricey but…, csmixbox…anything good. it will be worth it in the long run.

also if you buy eventides shimmerverb, let @Fin25 hear what you do. its his fav plugin.

3 Likes

Here’s what’s probably a dumb question - I hear of people using their iPhone as a recorder for dawless stuff - but the camera kit has lightning and usb… if I plug in a lighting to jack adapter I can’t seem to get it to recognise audio coming in. Am I missing something or is my adapter janky?

If you are talking about the Apple lightning to USB adaptor (Lightning make to phone, 1x female lightning and 1x female usb other end) then that female Lightning g is for power only, the female ISB would be for signal input via an audio interface etc.
I could be misunderstanding your question though.

1 Like

I have the lighting to usb dongle with the part number A1440. It works fine for recording audio in. It’s just the one USB A in, so no charging while recording

1 Like

What are you trying to get into the phone? I think what you’re doing is trying to feed a trs signal into a trrs jack. The Jack is really only good for a headset with a mic.

Audio over usb is probably what most people are working with, either a synth that supports usb audio or an interface using the camera kit.

1 Like

I’ll be interest to see what the total is at the end of the year, too. I see myself creating some eBay listings in the not too distant future… will it balance out….?

Is it possible to get “fast” on piano roll2?

Are you guys “fingering” the piano roll, using an Apple Pencil, or using a mouse?

I have an iPad Pro 10.5, currently with a defective screen, it arbitrarily doesn’t accept input. Very annoying. So I’m planning an upgrade very soon.
I don’t have an Apple Pencil currently and I’m not setup to test a mouse on this iPad.

I’m not an advanced ableton user, but I can layout chords and modify rhythms in midi clips on the piano roll pretty darn fast in there.
Should I expect to eventually get this fast on piano roll 2, or is it simply, “slower”?

Do you think screen size is a factor in laying out notes on the piano roll quickly? Again, my iPad is a disaster, so I really have no idea what good looks like, other than on my iPhone, currently.
I don’t think I “need” the latest model. But more recent iPads have the largest screens.

1 Like

a usb mouse will work. or universal control if you can.

I believe his question isn’t wether a mouse works or not. He clearly knows a mouse is usable with the iPad. What he is asking is how well does it work compared to his experience with using a DAW on a computer and in particular with the Atom Piano Roll app.

The short answer is no, using a mouse, or touchpad, or Apple Pencil with an iPad using the Atom Piano Roll app is not as fast or convenient as a DAW like Ableton.

Everything has its pluses and minuses, the DAW and computer is quicker and easier with a mouse plus keyboard shortcuts, but even the thinnest and smallest laptop isn’t as small and easily portable as a tablet. You are trading the power of the laptop for the ease of handling and immediacy of an iPad.

I use Atom and it’s good. It’s not great. I use my fingers and a stylus. I also use other generative apps and use Atom to capture midi sequences from the other apps to then save and use later.

It’s not bad compared to using a DAW, but for sheer speed and ease of use the DAW wins. But I don’t like sitting on the couch curled up with my dog using a laptop.

1 Like

Yeah I also capture MIDI from elsewhere with Atom 2, plus I play things in using an external controller or 2. In theory you can load in MIDI files from external sources, I believe, but haven’t actually tried. I should.

Yes give it a go. I do it and it works just fine. For Atom you can save files from a generator app like Beatly Pro or Songen (sp?) to your Files app then import. Another good Atom alternative is 4Pockets Helium app. Helium has generally the same piano roll type workflow and also comes with a large standard midi chord library.

The way to look at it is you can generate or import basic chord or melody structures into the piano roll apps from playing live, generating, Euclidean/polyrhythm apps, or midi packs and then flush them out in the piano roll into more complex and complete chords and melodies.

Where you take it from there is open to your needs. Playing into other apps to create audio stems. Transferring the midi and/or audio to a DAW or standalone machine for song completion. You can detach the iPad from your Digitakt combo and work on chords/melodies/drums from the couch or away from home and have those ideas saved to reintroduce into your home studio workflow. Very versatile.

1 Like

I’ve been using Suggester to lay down chord progressions and I record those into atom (from inside AUM).
This works nicely for basic chords, but then I need to get int there and start moving stuff around. I can see, little by little, I’m getting a feel for it.

Thanks for suggesting Suggestor! I hadn’t seen that one yet, I’ll definitely check it out. With a simple USB/ds card adaptor we can bring the midi files over to out BlackBox’s as well.

1 Like

Don’t do the work yourself :wink:
Suggester---->some midi effects---->Atom/sequencer

Hmm… I’m using an Oxi one to sequence my IPad, before capturing loops in an OT. Maybe I should put midi fx between the Oxi and the synth plugins.

Any suggestions?