Get rid of A4 and MD for octatrack?

I’ve been thinking of getting octatrack for recording and sequencing some modular voices but buying a brand new octatrack mk2 isn’t possible atm so im having thoughts of letting go of md-uw+ mk2 and a4 to help finance it.
now know that i can sequence the modular with a4 and i have tried it out shortly on a voice. i take that with a4 i can dedicate one track to a modular voice, linking the cv and gate to the cv track, effectively trading that a4 voice for external/modular… right? the plus there is that i get the a4’s arp, filter and effects, and if i got it right the elektron audio/cv kit (i got two) dongle actually has two of each tip and ring outputs…?

a4 also lets me stream that modular channel to daw, freeing up audio interface lines. thing is the a4 have been overly underused mostly because i don’t feel for the osc sound character. sure i’ve heard wonderful patches by users but im having a hard time “justifying” the a4 for myself other than it can be a nice part of the modular.

machinedrum. i like whats possible with it but i struggle too much to be able to enjoy it. sound wise its awesome but i still use AR every day. the md is in it’s pristine box in the closet.

im thinking that octa can let me midi sequence modular via the midi to cv interface, record parts, edit and arrange. the filter and effects are not of the quality of the analog series from what i’ve read but thats not a big deal imho.

any thoughts and advice are welcome

I love the a4, but the octatrack to me is the pinnacle of elektron’s gear. You can always grab ome from musicians friend with a coupon (they have a 15% one now). Figure about 700-750 for the a4. Don’t know the md. Probably more, so you can add a great reverb pedal too if you sell both.

What about just selling the MD and buying an OT MK1 instead?

1 Like

could be a option too but i prefer the grey if i had the choice :slight_smile: