Generative Sequences on the Model:Samples

As promised, here’s my tutorial on creating Generative Sequences on the Model:Samples:

PART 1

PART 2

Here’s the Youtube playlist that contains both of the above:

This technique certainly lends itself towards ambient music, but it could be used for any style. On a traditional drum track, try making your hihats a generative sequence while leaving the kick steady!

I figure this topic is big enough that it deserves its own thread. If you are also playing with generative sequences, tell me about it! And post your own audio/video if you are so inclined!

If you don’t have time to watch the video, here’s a text description of the technique in the Tips and Tricks thread.

9 Likes

This was awesome man, deff trying this stuff out tonight!

Have you made any ambient arps/pads stuff with your m:s?

I’m definitely trying to move in that direction, this is the most ambient thing I’ve made so far:

Not purely with the M:S, I’m actually using the Keystep & PO-32 Tonic sequencers in that one, and not using the M:S sequencer at all. The M:S is effectively just a synth in this song.

Also, this isn’t mine, but here’s another easy approach to generative sequences:

He just fills in every trig on every track, and sets them all to 11% chance. Then he uses Delay Feedback later in the song to add a little bit of consistency.
1 Like

This is something I did entirely on the M:S that relies heavily on filling every trig on a few tracks with different levels of chance and delay, then two melody tracks playing the same notes (different samples) with different levels of chance.

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks for sharing! I like your approach to video too, very minimal indeed…

1 Like

model:samples & model:cycles pseudo-generating pseudo-music together.

Uses and abuses of chance parameter, different track lenghts and scales, random lfo at 0 speed with reset on (mainly on pitch).
Samples from AKIRA.
4 Likes

Wow, that was great! Very interesting IDM sound with the different BPMs and sequence lengths. Did you connect the two with MIDI sync only? Also, doesn’t putting the LFO at 0 speed turn it off? How does that work?

Thanks !

[LFO], WAV -> random
[LFO SPEED] -> 0
[FUNC]+[LFO SETUP] -> Rst (rest) = on

On each new trig a new random value is affected.

I use it mainly on pitch, sometimes with little values, sometimes with huge ones ^^

2 Likes

The two models are connected with a mini-jack stereo cable, model:samples is the master (“click out” and “punch out” on the m:s, “click in” and “punch in” on the m:c, with the same channel for punch). Here the m:s start button starts both but I’m not sure to use this feature in the future (playing with play and stop on one machine and not the other could be fun).

1 Like

Just added a PART 2 video, see the top post.