Generative, mutating pattern chains

… good news …

still interested to see YOUR video!

1 Like

that sounds so fucking sick… must… not… get GAS…

1 Like

the video inside the tweet above is by me!
it doesn’t explain things tho… might do a tutorial-style vid if people are interested…

for now, what’s going on:

• midi cable loop from out to in
  • there’s 3 patterns, B05 - B07.
  • MIDI track 8 is set up to send messages on channel 16. DT is configured to receive program change messages on that channel.
  • in each of the patterns, there are trigless locks near the end of the track, as outlined in the first post. Using probability and !pre conditions, each pattern has a chance to switch to one of the other patterns - they may also not switch. That’s pretty basic, just the first thing I did… this could follow some nicer logic.
  • so when MIDI track 8 is unmuted, it’s like enabling ‘song mode’. If it’s muted, the sequencer will stay in one pattern.

there’s also additional sequencing by other midi tracks:

• MIDI tracks 1 and 2 (maybe 3 as well) are routed to the audio tracks; only two tracks are used; One MIDI LFO is tweaking master reverb volume. One LFO is modulating sample tuning.
  • track one is 16 steps; the midi tracks which are routed to that track have different length, and the send notes/p-locked ccs, such as sample slot…
  • so if the MIDI tracks are running, you get extra stuff happening on the audio tracks.

Note: there’s this thing that while you have selected a MIDI track, the audio tracks don’t seem to receive notes. Guess it’s a bug.

There’s so much to explore with this…

22 Likes

oOoo! ive been traveling on the long weekend/didnt realize it. thank you ever so much. and a tutorial would be supreme!

1 Like

Dammit void, now I am considering “downgrading” my OT to a DT even more than before! Which is… great, I guess… Next thing you gonna tell me its SPINAL compatible and its game over :nyan:

1 Like

any further finding/video in the works? (bated breath)

1 Like

ye I’m currently holding off - the MIDI-in on the DT is still a bit bugged… not necessarily with program changes, but with notes… and using CCs gets chaotic pretty quick… so waiting a bit till it’s more refined ;D

1 Like

With all the stocking issues by the time I get mine we’ll be on 2.0 and everything is sorted :sweat_smile:

I need midi to work to sequence external gear as well, not sure if both can work at the same time though hooking up the other gear on the midi thru should do the trick… I’m no midi expert.

1 Like

it should work!
the bugs I’m seeing are more related to MIDI note input - output seems pretty fine!

the same bugs for MIDI input remain in OS 1.02? (i havent gotten the time to update just yet)

This is fascinating! One thing I couldn’t tell from your video Void is if the program changes the Digitakt receives from itself are quantized. In other words, does an upcoming program change start on the downbeat of the next measure or is there a timing hiccup?

this is exactly what I’ve wanted because I want to make a 10 hour sleep track so yeah long random patterns

also, I wonder if you can sequence a musical turing machine?

have to see if I can sequence program changes from the beatstep pro too? it’s got random and probability options

4 Likes

I like long random stuff too. 10h to sleep with music or before sleeping ? :slight_smile:
I can send random PCs with Octatrack, sending to itself CCs mapped to PCs via a midi processor, Ep+.

7 Likes

nice lfo video, mind blown!

yeah i literally sleep listening to variety of 8-10 hour songs, not sure how they get them that long, probably software

sometimes I play two simultaneously if they’re subtle, my pseudoscience theory is that i get twice as deep sleep that way

anyone have their digitakt handy? whats the slowest bpm you can do? lol

I think for 8 hours I need a 40k step sequence chain

here’s some of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmSKL1B1q-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpW7iYfuGDU

4 Likes

I used to use Robert Rich DVDs on repeat to aid restful sleep. Now I just set up a Krell patch on the 0-Coast :wink:

This generative trick with the Digitakt is on of its most attractive features for me. Can’t wait to get one at some point.

i’m not getting program change to switch patterns

tried auto channel, track channel, per step, per track, nothin

can’t change patterns sending program changes from the bsp either, maybe 1.03 bugs?

this needs youtubes!

1 Like

Just tried this but all I got were crashes. It is not a hard crash, as soon as you remove the cable you can see the tempo led flash like mad (catching up?) and it will resume playback fine.

Either I’m doing something wrong or there are still midi bugs, or a bit of both. All I did was connect a midi cable and selected midi track 3 to send notes to audio track 3. To my knowledge this should work without any menu diving…

Did you check if sync to midi was off? Otherwise it will try to sync to its own midi clock and weird stuff might happen. The thing with midi is, you need to keep it as clean as possible, otherwise things go off the rails.

1 Like

Yes midi sync was off. As soon as I plug the cables in and press play it soft-freezes instantly.

1 Like