Generative, mutating pattern chains

try plugging the cable while the device is off.
make sure encoder & trig key destination is INT.

2 Likes

Just tried that, same result. Also tried a new project, selected midi track 3 and enabled it to send on channel 3, a few notes work then a soft crash. The DT is being used stand alone. Nothing connected to it except headphones and midi. Also tried different midi cables.

you must be creating some kind of bad loop. Disable all the midi things. Then switch on only whatā€™s necessary.

2 Likes

Tried that too, even with the bare minimum enabled it crashes when I stop. It sort of runs ok until I press stop, then I need to remove the midi cable. It still looks like itā€™s catching up on midi messages or something judging by the tempo led going insane for a while.

I think you may be right with the loop. I got a TM-1 somewhere here. Gonna see if I can setup some routing via the computer so I can see what the DT is sending out and receiving.

Did you get it to work?

yes, I often use a midi loop with the Digitakt.

1 Like

Ugh, I wonder what I am doing wrong. Can you share your midi pages settings? Just for my sanity and so I can try yours and see how that goes here.

let me have breakfast first :wink:
itā€™s all in this thread tho!

just few days ago had it loop back to itself, even sending clock (but not receiving), and the clock was sent out the THRU to sync my Rytm, and at the Rytmā€™ THRU there was a 0-coast, which was sequenced by the Digitakt.
Digitakt was also receiving midi notes via USB from my computer at the same time. No crashes. No glitches. It works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, fine! Eat first.

I think I narrowed it down. As soon as I enable receive cc/nrpn it works until the sequencer is stopped/started. Midi notes work fine, but I have no need for that. If I only leave cc/nrpn enabled it also crashes.

Really no clue what Iā€™m doing wrong here. I can sequence audio tracks form the midi tracks fine, but thatā€™s not what I need, I need the cc and lfoā€™s to work :sweat_smile:

Still no dice with midi, but even without midi or 8 extra lfoā€™s you can get some ever changing patterns for sure.

Did an experiment earlier with one free piano sample from wavy.audio, one bar, one lfo, one audio track and a lot of p-locked values on conditional trigs. Recorded from line out, no processing:

http://soundcloud.com/joshuanoise/piana

Sorry about the feedback at the end :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

sorry got carried away earlier.

soā€¦ yea can confirm it tends to freeze when pressing stop sometimes, and pretty reliably when pressing double-stopā€¦ otherwise mostly stable here. no magic in the midi settingsā€¦ In midi settings, I tend to set the out channel to TRK. I use chn 16 for program changesā€¦ and ignore the auto channelā€¦

nice track!

2 Likes

Pressing stop leads to a crash 9 out of 10 times here. Iā€™ve given up on this route till Elektron sorts out the midi issues.

yeah still a little to unstable to have fun with yet. To many midi issues with this box so far :zonked:

Talking about generative music- imagine live recording the conditional trigs off chained patterns through the midi channels

so besides this DAW scenario and your MacGuyver-like ingenuity, is the MIDI loop route still crashing on people? i hope the next system update brings a practical alternativeā€¦

Any news on the issue after the latest update?
Iā€™m currently waiting for my digitakt to pop up in my mail box (first elektron machine!) and Iā€™ VERY into this generative mindblow.
Hope the MIDI loop thing got fixed!

Yes. :frowning:

Got this working on the digitone tonightā€¦ sooo coolā€¦

I mean, yeah, the possibilities really are endlessā€¦ and it really is a kindā€™ve song modeā€¦

Although I realised two things pretty quicklyā€¦ and actually this now makes me see the virtue of Kitsā€¦ switching between patternsā€¦ if youā€™re tweaking parameters on one pattern, by the time it hits another pattern, if its a continuation of the previous it kindā€™ve jumps to whatever the previous parameter was set toā€¦ fortunately it actually gets picked up pretty quickly, so the param will snap right to where you areā€¦ theres little tweaks and artefacts that happen,ā€¦ which honestly i donā€™t mind that much, they make for interesting glitchy sounds. :smiley:

also, if you copy your patterns then elsewhere in the bank, you gotta remmeber to go in and change your PRG changes, itā€™s not like they happen to follow you around if you feel like reorganising your set all of sudden like I didā€¦

still, very ace, in general usage I feel like youā€™d still use pattern chaining for drafting stuff outā€¦ and when you were ready to lock some stuff in you just throw in a few program changesā€¦

ahhhā€¦ anywayā€¦ i really feel like Elektron have got the mix right with these new machinesā€¦ and yeah i can totally see the value of Kits but for a workflow time saver im not pining for themā€¦

that said i wonder if they can tidy up the Kit workflow in the same wayā€¦ likeā€¦ Pattern 1ā€™s four track sounds IS Kit 1ā€¦ but if you want Pattern 1 to call up Kit 2ā€¦ just do itā€¦ no need for saving and naming and blah blahā€¦ but of course you could rename them just like the patternsā€¦ which makes me wonder why they just called the patterns all Untitled and not Pattern A1, Pattern B1 etc etc

anywayā€¦ diatribingā€¦ happy machining!

I have to try this with Machinedrum. :wink:

Awesome thread, Iā€™ve yet to digest through it properly and put it into practice, but just visualizing it already sounds fantastic.

I do have a couple of curiosities though.

First I should say that Iā€™m using my digitakt as a midi slave to Live connected via usb to my computer.

Would I still be able to sucesfully make a midi loop using the midi o/i ports while still having the digitakt slaved to Live via usb midi?

Iā€™m asking firstly because, in terms of electrical wiring of the machine, Iā€™m definitely not a pro and wouldnā€™t want to blow up any outlets on my machine, though I donā€™t recall reading about any warning of the sort in the manual.

Secondly I though there might already be users whoā€™ve already tried this and might want to chime in.

Is such a thing even possible technically speaking?

Thanks!

Has anyone tried this on a Digitone? 0.0