Generative and procedural graphics

I guess many of you seen generative / algorithmic art images, usually artists make them by coding using java script, processing or python.

I’m wondering, maybe someone knows an app or online tool to create complex minimalistic images like that but without knowing how to code. I’m thinking of kind of “visual groove box” or “modular” where you just program graphical patterns, use included formulas which you can tweak, tune it with knobs and normal ui, maybe patch something with cables like modular.

No need it to make animations, just static images.

Would be so cool to find something like that!

13 Likes

maybe Eyesy or the Organelle M, running the Eyesy Image.

it’s accurate and really complex but not as high res but you could try

1 Like

They’re nice, but quite limited as far as I know, and just make simple animation with some pre installed patches created by someone, so almost no way to do something unique and personalised with them. Also resolution won’t be great. I’ve got some hw modular analog video synths, glitchers, mixers etc… but it’s another story.

And what I meant is software only probably. Want to create very quality minimalistic compositions with “real life” geometry and some math behind it.

I love these and think would try doing something with TouchDesigner, you can do a lot with its nodes and even code if you must, until now I’ve used it with motion but obviously you can take snapshots or just work without motion at all, just geometric shapes, colors and logic.
the only downside is that the free version allows 1280x1280 resolution which can cause aliasing but I think it’s possible to smooth these out with blurs and such.
would be fun experiment.

1 Like

There’s a program I used to use on Linux called Fyre, it could render some really beautiful stuff and was pretty easy to use.

This site - https://hirnsohle.de/test/fractalLab/ can produce some amazing fractal landscapes such as these -

It takes some messing around to get really good results, but if you’re creative with framing it can make some astounding stuff.

9 Likes

Touchdesigner is crossplatform and basic version is free - only with limits on export format.

1 Like

Not quite what you are looking for with regards to the example I’m showing, but maybe worth investigating fractal flames? I use JWildfire to create fractals for my music. I tend to go for more impressionistic designs, but you can do a lot more functional stuff too.

5 Likes

Tooll3 is what you’re looking for. crazy piece of software and no one knows about it.

you can even control it with MIDI and OSC
oh and its open source

11 Likes

Impressive. ATM Windows only, though.

Yeah, I think TD is the most “friendly” environment for such things. Trying to learn it since a few years, open the app from time to time and try different nodes, but still a bit lost when it comes to creating something I have in mind.

Maybe it’s good idea to find a kind of prepared project with the interface built in (I guess TD allows to build interfaces for patches so you can tweak it with normal faders, knobs etc… ) and I can further tweak it, add complexity and use some basic formulas to experiment.

The problem that I’m total zero @ maths and coding so it all feels a bit frightening : )

Thank you for the link, yes it seems like something I want. Will download and try it. Also UI looks a bit more friendly than TD for some reason. And maybe it’s more friendly for creative coding with pre built complex nodes. At least it’s the impression I got from this teaser.

I’ve tried to use Resolume Wire earlier this year for a couple of av shows, despite I really like simplicity of the interface, it’s pretty limited at this point so only basic things are possible and it’s made for animations and vj’ing and adding patches later to Resolume, so a bit different animal… Here’s a shortcut from the live shows I did with Wire + Digitone.

However, I want to create complex still images of higher resolution, render some generative elements I like and use it later in photoshop to collage complex compositions, work with 2d effects etc… probably for printing and exhibiting. It’s a bit different story.

I guess need to develop my own approach to generative graphics with my limited knowledge of programming and more experience with traditional art, just find 1 - 2 codes which will work for me and experiment with deeper with it to get more interesting and “personalised” results. Most of generative graphics looks pretty same and only a few artists stand out.

2 Likes

Interesting. Will take a look @ JWildfire, thnx!

Just watched the first 10 minutes, really enjoyable as a whole experience. Looking forward to blasting it loud later tonight.

1 Like

I use VDMX mainly.
With some basic shapes and images it’s very easy to build generative visuals using all the various mod sources.
A friend of mine uses Resolume as well, he gets incredible results too.
No need for coding

Reaktor has some cool ensembles too

1 Like

1 Like

thanks, nice to have feedback. it was a very early “lofi” version of this set made in a week or so, just digitone controlling resolume wire patches I’ve created with midi tracks. now developing it a bit further and will perform live later this summer.

1 Like

Cool, but what I’m trying to investigate here is not a video generation, but a tool for generating artistic hi-q still images.

What I want is a tool which allows to get unique results with reasonable efforts (means not learn coding for 2+ years if possible ), options to use some clever algorithms for example to get fractures on some shapes, make objects interact with each other by some rules, set well proportions and composition etc… basically work with generation like a traditional artist. I do such abstract paintings with acrylic on canvas since decades, use a lot of instruments like curved ruler, compass for drawing etc… so now want to take it into digital environment and see how it works.

I learned a bit how this image was done:

The artist (by the way quite famous with exhibitions in best museums all around the world and prints selling for dozens of thousands ) use java script and worked on this algorithm for 2 years to get those lines go around the circles right as he wants as far as I understood from his explanations.

So I quite understand that to make something interesting you have to spend a lot of time and efforts. No problem with that. Just want a tool which will open up new possibilities for me.

4 Likes

Damn, maybe it’s time to stop using Apophysis :smile:

Mentioned Touchdesigner, because such frameworks work for static graphics as well. Even simpler, because less CPU is needed.
I also used VVVV (similar, but older).

The rest which I used require understanding of some math and recursion - Apophysis, Structure Synth. Or a bit of programming - processing.org

1 Like

Yes, sure TD is the way of doing still images and much much more. Also I’ve just open up p5.js web editor and it’s actually not to difficult to start messing with it using some codes from web. Maybe it’s possible to make ChatGPT do coding for it based on prompt?

I’ve found a guy who create web apps with p5.js which are quite simple but results look quite good.

Maybe the question here is not only the tool, but how to choose right approach to it and discover your technique and visual style you like, how to “open up the door” and just start using it creatively, not just get lost in tutorials etc… I think all tools mentioned - Touch Designer, TOOLL3, VVVV, p5.js can do similar things in this field, so it’s like with DAWs - you have to find what works for you.

For example I stayed away from computers for music making till 2005 - 2010 I guess (used adat recorder and tape machines etc for recording and hardware sequencers for composing ). I’ve tried Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase on PC… nothing worked well and just stoped me from doing anything creative. But after I discovered Ableton things changes dramatically, suddenly all started to look friendly and results were much much better and all was much faster than with hardware, so now I just use it same way as hardware, real instruments, etc… So want to find something similar to Ableton in this generative / procedural graphics world.

1 Like