Gearless hobbies?

Brilliant

They all seem to think so.

1 Like

It started for me when watching Koyaanisqatsi for the first time and Glassā€™ arpeggios playing while seeing the slow motion footage of the people in a city walking by looking at the camera. People from all walks of life by the looks of it and I just wondered, who are they? What life did they have? Etc. Itā€™s so interesting.

1 Like

Do you smash out a set amount or do it until they go back inside?

I do 19 exactly.

Always leave them wanting moreā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to expand the question slightly to ā€œhobbies for which gear is not a significant focusā€. One such for me is writing, but certainly it requires gear (a computer, a pencil) and one can obsess about those. I donā€™t. What about watching films or listening to music? I have a good TV and a modest amp and bookshelf speakers. But if the particular film or particular artist/work counts as ā€œgearā€, then I think about it a lot more. I cook, I roast/brew coffee, and I have probably more gear related to those activities than most people, but itā€™s quite stable, and I donā€™t spend time thinking about it unless something breaks or wears out. (Again, if coffee beans or groceries are ā€œgearā€ in this case, then thatā€™s a different matter.)

reading
cycling
coffee
movies
shows
sleeping
growing tumors
fixing broken things in the house
finding perfect foods and snacks
writing
body maintenance
fudge for the blind

1 Like

Oh, I just remembered one: Ranking things that donā€™t need ranking-

i.e. Top Five Hummus Varieties

(the Mrs. gets quite annoyed by this hobby)

2 Likes

My fav is to swim to the bottom of the lake/river/ocean when it is within reach, picking up a large stone and then running as far as I can on one breath. Itā€™s pretty amazing how far you can go!

3 Likes

My interests include reading such as:

General history
History pertaining to WWI
The Klondike gold rush
Comics(reading, not collecting. all styles but not much manga)

Other interests:

Camping
Walking/hiking
Playing snare in a brass band(not too much gear talk with horn players. At least not with me)
Sweeping
Bird/animal watching
Playing small inconvenient practical jokes that I have no possibility of seeing play out. It tickles me to think about all the ways someone could react even though Iā€™ll never witness it.

1 Like

I used to live in spain, had a swimmingpool in the garden of the apartment next to the beach. Learned to swim under water for a long time. When swimming under water too long, I had crazy headache, but after about a year of practice every morning, i found out how to use as less energy as possible to stay under water as long as possible. Not very long though, but very meditative.

Best things in life are free!

4 Likes

Went for run yesterday and came across free Tai Chi in one of the local parks. Itā€™s free every Sunday morning 8:00-8:45.

Started playing football again due to an overly large piece of land, 10acres, given back to Japan from the US Army. The new developments are awesome! They also have one piece of dedicated Calisthenics equipment and a bunch of other stuff I can use as body weight training.

I was doing this Centr app because I accidentally signed up for a year. Never wanted to do any home workoutsā€¦ now it is the only option. ā€œWhy pay a gym fee if I canā€™t even master my own body weight for trainingā€ is a mantle that resonates with me.

I started drawing and graphic design again due to the iPad Pro and Pencil combo.

Iā€™d love, love, love to become dedicated at Calisthenics. All other hobbies have always been and gone apart from footy and music making. I hope I can give Calisthenics the same dedication as I did with footy and music.

3 Likes

I love nature and walking in nature is great, I observe insects and animals and sometimes see things that I feel are like a blessing. This is easy for me since I live in a forest so it may be harder for others but going out into nature is free and awesome!

Meditation, a bit hard to get into and keep up with but rewarding. Like physical gains takes time to manifest so does meditation gains, keeping a regular practice is important (been on the lazy side a few weeks now myself)
By gains i mean you become more aware, of yourself, feelings, your situation, negativity and more. You can get an easier time handling negative thoughts and situations, appreciate things you didnā€™t.
Alot can be said about it, for me personally it has taken me out of my worst depression last year and kept me on a stable level and I feel more in control over what I feel and think. One time I got a super boost from one very nice meditation session and felt great for 3 days straight, just super flow calm and present. When it started to fade i got desperate and wanted to cling to it haha. I bet i can achieve it again though!
You can combine with spiritual videos on youtube for inspiration and perspective!

Body weight training, running. All you need is a body! I dont run too much, (bike alot this summer instead) But I do pushups 5-6 days a week. Not super rigid training just as many as I can that day. Feels great and gets easier over time and as a skinny dude I can see improvements easily lol.
Dont feel bad about not being able to do many, just do it! You have already won when you are down there sweating. Its not how many you do that is important but your attitude in the situation when it feels damn hard to do them, but keep going!

2 Likes

Running. For better or worse, Iā€™ve used the same sneakers for years. I got no running gear, I just run in whatever I wear at the moment and throw it in the washer when I get home.

Taiji. I got a staff, which Iā€™ve made myself from a tree in the woods. Every other year or so, I need to make a new one. So I go out into the woods again with an axe and find a new staff.

I guess writing doesnā€™t count, since I use notebooks, pencils and a computer. Though I donā€™t switch computers until the one I use, is more or less extinct by unability to upgrade to current OS and keep running on the one it has installed. So Iā€™ve had two Apples over the course of a decade.

4 Likes

I think writing counts.

2 Likes

You need swimming gear, my diver!

Meditating. Not even clothes needed.

1 Like

Why?

Yoga/stretching. I use a matt, but Iā€™ve had the same one for about 8 years.

1 Like

Books is gear?