I like the forum,
But when its about playing guitar
We talk about the guitar
When its about cycling
We talk about the bike

I love circus
I bought 5 juggling balls years ago and never bought others
I love walking on my hands or other bodyworks

Not buying gear gives me a feeling of freedom and a focus to my own behavior and my flow

Whats your gearless hobby and what is the benefit of it?

16 Likes

Is a dog considered gear?

21 Likes

Urbanology, interior design, military history

2 Likes

Huh? This is all about gear, isnā€™t it? Gearless interior design would be pictures of empty rooms.

Cooking and hiking though both have some basic gear requirements.

Cooking does have gear but itā€™s also a fundamental requirement to sustain life. I donā€™t buy artisanal cookware. I buy utilitarian cookware. Much the same for my hiking. I buy quality clothing and packs.

Apart from the above, I canā€™t think of anything else.

1 Like

Rock Climbing is gear-dependent when you think of sport or trad with cams, draws, harness, and ropesā€¦ BUTT for something like bouldering, after shoes and chalk, itā€™s not about gear. We donā€™t talk about gear outside of ā€œthose new shoes?ā€

2 Likes

I guess that depends on if you consider case goods, furnishings and lighting to be ā€œgearā€ or notā€¦

I have my degree in interior design, but only worked in the field for around a year. Too much pressure, plus not a lot of clients into mid-century modern around here. But I have a life-long interest and appreciation for good design.

2 Likes

Things and people arise

Amongst us. And both are stark,

and both are hard on the eyes.

Itā€™s best to live in the dark.

From a park bench, I spy

a family walking in-stride,

that quickly passes me by.

I am repulsed by light.

Itā€™s January. Calendars mark

winter time. It is bleak.

Once Iā€™m fed up with the dark,

I will begin to speak.

Itā€™s time. Iā€™m poised to begin.

It matters not where. Lips part.

I could as well keep it in.

Perhaps itā€™s better I start.

Of what? Of nights. Of days.

Or ā€“ nothing of any kind.

Or, maybe, of things. To raise

things and to leave behind

people. None of whom will remain.

And I will die with them all.

This labor would be in vain.

A writing upon windā€™s wall.

The blood in my veins is cold.

Its chill is more feral than

a river iced to its core.

Iā€™m not very fond of man.

I donā€™t like their look. I shun

all people. Faces appear

to graft onto life an un-

ending, horrid veneer.

Something I find in them all

encloses my mind in gloom.

Something that tries to cajole

God only knows whom.

Things are nicer. Theyā€™re not

made out of evil or good

outwardly. And if you prod

into them ā€“ at their root.

Inside of all things ā€“ is dust.

Wood-borer beetles and

brittle mosquito grubs.

Uncomfortable to the hand.

Dust. Flick on the light,

and only dust is revealed.

Even if, to our sight,

things are hermetically sealed.

Soā€¦ I do not like something unrelated to gear. Erich Fromm called people like me ā€œnecrophilous personalitiesā€ (sry for my horible english)

4 Likes

And how about urbanology, really the GAS for the filthy rich

Mycology

11 Likes

Swimming FAST !!!

6 Likes

Vegetable Gardening. Mostly tomatoes and peppers. Also grow zucchini, beans, beets, carrots, greens, eggplants, onionsā€¦

7 Likes

I juggle in the garden where my wife grows vedgetables. Watching vedgetables grow makes me super happy, although snails bring me in a war mode

5 Likes

Why is your name parkinson?

howā€™s that going? iā€™ve never gone beyond 3 (or 4 but thatā€™s two in each hand)

I also never really went beyond 3, that just felt like the most funā€¦ setupā€¦
Feels like chaining these different shapes/patterns is just so much more comfortable with 3 to me

I also prefer 3 balls, endless possibilities and tricks. I slowly start to add 1 ball contact tricks in my patterns, it looks great and feels amazing to do

But after 20+ years of juggling, i wanted to juggle 5 balls, and now flashing 7. But i think it will take 10 y to go 7. 5 and 7 is like 3, but faster and higher

Problem with 7, i need smaller juggling balls, so buying ā€˜gearā€™ again :slight_smile: in our circus space we have small beanbags

Iā€™m really struggling to think of hobbies that donā€™t involve at least some gear. I used to meditate, which is as gear-less as I can imagine. But that was years ago. I like to go running but that requires shoes and shorts etc, though my running shoes are 15 years old and have a hole in the toe so itā€™s not at all expensive for me. I used to swim in the sea when I lived in Malta and Gozo. Walking in the countryside is also a favourite of mine, with no special gear. Iā€™d love to get into wild camping but thereā€™s gear involved there too. I used to write a lot and regularly did that with just a cheap biro and paper, but a laptop is needed for publishing stuff nowadays. Great idea for a topic, tho! Iā€™m looking forward to reading more from everyone else.

6 Likes

Bouldering mats, chalk bags, best fingerboard, how many different pairs of climbing shoes, approach shoes, best artificial holds for the wall at home? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I try to stick to one pair of shoes at a time, I like to be minimal. Always on that hunt for that ā€œperfectā€ boot.

1 Like