Gear to be CV/gate sequenced by AF/AK

Oh man - get yourself some nice Euro Osc’s - a little case and a few choice osc’s will run you a grand but you can do it for half that if you wanted. The A4 plays with them very well - they become PART of the A4.

make noise dpo, Make Noise Dpo, MAKE NOISE DPO, MAKE NOISE DPO

1 Like

This baby should do the trick - buy it before Xmas then ask your loved ones to fill in the gaps with tastefully selected “stocking fillers” :+1:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/pittsburgh-modular-system-10-1-plus-semi/556299-01/

wow, no mention of the sub37 yet? cost doesn’t seem to be a limiting factor looking at all the other mentions…and if that is the case, the sub37 is an amazing addition…I run mine through my A4…and sequence it via CV quite often

I second…or was it third or fourth…the Minitaur, my minitaur has pretty much always been a companion hooked up to my A4…it’s a beast and there is no way I would let that thing go :slight_smile:

I’d have to agree with previous posts about the Minitaur. It is amazing and it seems like any setting you have it at is usable. I sold my Minitaur in order to fund purchase of the a4 and no regrets on that but I have wanted to get the Minitaur back ever since. However, I sort of impulse bought the SE Boomstar 5089 instead. What I will say comparing the two is that while the Minitaur has the upper hand in terms of immediate usability the Boomstar (wow I dislike that name) is way deeper in terms of sound design and sound incredible for bass, synth, and leads once you have it dialed in… Minitaur is limited in terms of sound design and lead duties (due to the limited scale) but is cheaper.

great work compiling the list Baddcr! props

Another +1 for Minitaur here.

Not to bitch & whine, but you might want to list the modular options under a clear header to make sure people understand that they’ll need a case & a power supply & a busboard in addition to the stuff you’re linking to. :slight_smile:

Unless I’m missing something, Pulse 2 only does CV out. You can’t trigger via CV. I’ve just bought an Octatrack and a large reason was so I could trigger my MIDI only gear including the Pulse 2.

For the record I trigger my Moog Slim Phatty from the A4 via CV. Just been discontinued but plenty of them around still.

Cheers

Ian

hi ! i use my A4 with mutable instruments anushri and it’s fantastic !!! never sell my anushri for this !! and my A4 too !! :wink: i have a ciat lonbarde plumbutter 2 on the way and i want testing my A4 with it, if it’s good with the A4 i come back here for saying this !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not to mention that a lot of the listed modular options are just oscillators and not complete voices. To get a full voice (with Osc/Env/VCF/VCA) it would only make sense to include modules like the Cwejman VM-1, Pittsburgh Block, etc.

honestly with the a4 make noise dpo and make noise filter is all you will need, amazing combo
use the a4 and bring it in as a 5 voice

Not to mention that a lot of the listed modular options are just oscillators and not complete voices. To get a full voice (with Osc/Env/VCF/VCA) it would only make sense to include modules like the Cwejman VM-1, Pittsburgh Block, etc.[/quote]
Depends. The A4 provides 4 CV outputs that can be used for modulation, so even when you use one CV output for gate and one CV output for pitch, you still have one you can use as an envelope generator and one as a LFO.

On top of that, you can easily route both an LFO (or two) and an ENV and p-locking to the same CV output, so you can make the modulation as flexible or crazy as you want.

This means you can create a full fifth voice with only an oscillator module and a filter module assuming the filter has a buil-in VCA (a lot, like the MI Ripples for example, do).

But if you get a more complex oscillator module, you don’t even necessarily need a filter to get something interesting going.

Or you can get a simple oscillator and a nice waveshaper (Dixie II & µFold II for example).

The nice thing, and also for most people the point of, modular is that you can create any voice architecture you want instead of the standard pre-configured east-coast subtractive OSC/VCF/ENV/VCA structure.

sherman filterbank2 is really nice. tbh, using it like a chromatic synth is easier with midi, but it works so well with the analog4’s sound.

for going in so it’s more like 3.5+8 :slight_smile: , dx100 can be setup to drone and breath control can be made to work with cv. pitch and mod wheel are easy to hack too.

nord modular. you can use it just like a nord drum w/ less ins to trigger sounds. oth, it also has expression and sustain ins and you can also set it up to vary the sounds in different ways easier in some ways to get pitched stuff going. the knobs could be hacked for cv in too, i haven’t had the need yet.

ps favorite euro is switches to change with the a4 cv where the a4 cv goes and what audio goes in, trigger delays, sample/holds + multiples too. it’s like sound locks for cv, so you get more than a 5th voice. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind the name, the boomstar synths are awesome, however, they are pricey…in the respect that if I want the Moog style filter…for the money I might as well buy a Moog…out of the boomstar line I would be looking at one of the other models…I mean if I had the money I would take the whole line…but you know what I mean.

The main reason I havn’t hit the Euro yet is the cost of a case and power supply. Do you know of any cheaper options ?

Same here. I’m UK based and the options are limited. Shipping cases from the US is prohibitively expensive, due to shipping costs and import duties and VAT and PO handling fees !

If transportability isn’t important to you, then I reckon the best value case is Doepfer’s LC9 – just over 200 quid from Thomanns (inc. free shipping) for 3 rows of 84hp. And with a coat of varnish/paint, they look okay.

There’s also the LC3 and LC6 if you don’t want the ‘temptation’ of 3 empty rows. :wink:

Intresting subject :slight_smile: Im really interested in getting a “fifth” voice to my analog four. Im interested in Doepfer Dark Energy 2 with a dark time and Moog MInitaur. So My question is…IF i would get both how would i connect them ? I have a AR also…so i was thinking like This…cv to minitaur, MIDI to dark time to dark energy. But all the sound? Something like This maybe…A/4 to AR…minitaur to A/4…and then? Im interested in modular but its quite deep water for me so i think i stick to easier options for the moment.

Is there any good digital synth options along the lines of let’s say a Sid station? Something cheap and nasty to compliment the AR. I was thinking building a small modular setup for that. The WMD gamma wave looks tasty. Maybe there’s a self contained synth that can do the trick?

I’d highly recommend starting a small modular setup for this.
Keep in mind that digital doesn’t necessarily means that it will sound “cheap and nasty”. If you’re into the chiptune sound, then you might want to look at the Mutable Instruments Edges. If you want something digital that sounds smooth, but interesting and different then you should look at the Mutable Instruments Tides. If you want something more “all round” that adds a lot of different timbres to your A4, then look at the Mutable Instruments Braids.
Can you tell that I like the Mutable Instruments modules?
Also, the SID is actually not digital; it’s a fully analogue synth voice on a chip. :slight_smile: