Gear for layering samples

One of my most successful approaches to drums is to layer samples to create interesting sounds. I used Ableton live in the past and now I’m looking for a hardware approach to do similar with a straightforward workflow. What samplers do you use for sample layering?

2 Likes

Digitakt and then resample is pretty ok now it has EQ
guess any MPC will work well too.

1 Like

Korg ESX 1, resampling. I don’t own this anymore, but it was my first sampler.
Octatrack, same.
TR8S, layering samples with synthesis. (Not really a sampler, but makes cools sounds, with sample layers)

MPC. Four layers per drum hit and then you can flatten a pad and start again. :smiley:

3 Likes

Octatrack works very well for this as you can use play and record trigs to easily sync stuff up just right and resample. A good selection of effects and LFO capabilities for shaping the sound too. You can use the CUE as a mixbus separate from the main outputs so you can set up a sound in context of the rest of the track and resample straight away.

SP-404MK2 will be good for this too, just a bit of a different workflow.

1 Like

…the rytm…synth layered with samples…
samples layered with samples?..any other hw sampler…

4 Likes

Korg Drumlogue, 2x 32bit, 48khz sample slots together with the analog kick and sometimes the HT and LT… Tuning the samples on a Drumlogue is grazy…

SP-404MKII can do this well! I use the pad link feature to try out different samples together and resample as needed.

MPC also had a nice sample layering feature!

1 Like

Yeah good one, too.

1 Like

What can you do to those 4 layers? Individual eq etc. of each sample?

1 Like

Drums? D16 Punchbox is interesting for that as it layers but uses specific parts for things such as the click, top end, other part, and then the main body. There’s a few fx in there too. It also exports to a wav too.

From the top of my head: Volume, offset, sample start, pan, velocity layering (at which velocity it triggers.

1 Like

Akai MPC has 4 layers per pad but you can also link up to 4 pads if you need more control/effects on each layer. I think that should be enough layering for anyone’s needs.

4 Likes

You can layer 2 samples per sound with Deluge

1 Like

I think from the responses, basically any sampler with layering, haha.

And the M+, by selecting multiple samples to a pad and you can then resample if you wish.

Probably the most straightforward workflow, which I guess is the aim.