Gasing on the prophet rev2

Going through the manual is pretty exciting! I’m suprised that I would loose the Audio In (from the Mopho) and also the secondary Sub Osc that I find on the Mopho.

But I love how they keep on going with sysex through midi, no fancy software needed keeping it really simple and Love the fact that you can import different tuning patterns for the keys. Apart from that it seems pretty straight forward with the usual DSI mod matrix that I am used to on the Mopho. There are a few more mods though which is welcomed.

How are you guys using the 4 track 16 beat sequencer? I am not too sure how that can be used really.

1 Like

The motion sequencer is cool for lots of aspects of sound design. Great for slow evolution in pads or really eccentric chaos. You can program notes in there of course, but it shines with parameter sequencing. I do find it a bit tedious to program so I don’t use it too much. But a great tool to have nevertheless.

And yes….only one sub osc…but stacked patches make for two.

Synth is amazing. Total powerhouse and great value for it all.

I had the Prophet Rev 2 16 voice for a while. I feel its real strength is modulating those lfo’s. Perhaps i should have spent more time with it but like most things i offered it up to the GASeus synth god. Now its in the cloud somewhere and im still here flipping through the catalogue. :tired_face:

1 Like

Yeah, exactly my thought that even after 2 notes being played, the second sub osc isn’t that much missing. It’s important on the Mopho as it expands its voice quite a lot, but for a poly I don’t think it will matter much.

Nice I can see how the motion sequencer can be used on a masive drone type of sound. I read that there is a software tool which helps also using that sequencer, although I’m no fond of using a computer to setup my synth.

For sure, this is the major part of sound design on the Mopho, so I’m pretty happy to see that it’s very similar on the Prophet. I like the mopho so much and I’m glad to see that the prophet feels like a great evolution from the Mopho. Like moving from the DT to the OT somehow :smiley:

2 Likes

I have the mopho x4 which does have the sub osc on all 4 voices (and feedback, which is also missing on the rev2 I think). It makes the X4 work as both a aggressive mono and a 4 voice poly. You could consider this one if one pops up for cheap, I personally love it.

If you want more voices, knobs and a bigger keybed the rev2 is a no brainer though… From what I understand the lack of sub osc/feedback make it a bit less aggressive sounding, and better suited for poly sounds.

Yeah I see that the audio is, or the feedback is not on the Prophet, which I was a little pouting about. I do consider the x4, which is pretty much the same price as the mopho at the moment, from what I see on the used market place. But yeah the keybed is a big attraction for me as I am now taking lessons on the piano with a full keyboard and I really feel the limitation of a smaller keyboard. I’m also trying to sell my Medusa at higher price as it seems to be missing in the used market so that I can trade it in for a cheap Prophet rev2 (which I’ve seen being sold at 1200$)… Anyway I got a few more pedal as well to sell, so we’ll see how it goes. I feel like holding on to my Mopho until I have the Prophet in hand, I’m so attached to it!!

1 Like

This is a huge selling feature of the rev 2 in my view. It has such a great keybed. It is hands down the best controller I have in my studio because of this. While this wasn’t much if a concern to me when I bought it, it has proven super versatile.

1 Like

The keybed is amazing! Probably the best feeling keyboard that I’ve owned. (I’m sure anything that uses the same bed will feel just as good, but that combined with the solid build of the rest of the synth makes the full thing feel amazing. The only thing I wish it had was poly-AT. Even with mono-AT though it’s an extremely expressive synth. It sounds incredibly good too.

I was surprised to read that it was only mono AT but, I have to admit I wouldn’t really know how to use a poly AT - I mean I can see how it could work with independent not receiving different AT message, but yeah my brain doesn’t really know how it would be used or how it would sound… so for now I prefer no to even think about it!