Gasing on the prophet rev2

I play the mopho keys and the medusa. Thinking to move to a bigger keybed polysynth. I really love the mopho and upgrading to the mopho key x4 although not an expensive update feel not too exciting. As of now is the prophet rev2 a good bang for the buck? Seems like buying a used 8 voices, then later upgrading would be a decent upgrade path and would probably trade in the mopho key + medusa for it.

Sorry for your GAS…

2 Likes

Didn’t you get one of these? I thought I saw your name floating around some rev2 discussion.

1 Like

No, I got an OB-6 in the end.
But as wonderful as it sounds, I’ve been eyeing the Rev2 for ages.
My choice would be the 16 voices modules I guess…

What are your favourite types of sounds you get from ob-6

I can’t say I have favorites. It’s basically pretty hard to dial something ugly to my ears.
But basically I love soft tones for arps or pads.

who shoot the ob-6 is a lot more expensive… can’t believe the rev2 16 voices is so cheap

I remembered preset 007 from when I had it. One of the nicest presets I’ve heard.

1 Like

Exactly. I think it’s really an awesome Poly.
My favorite feature being that you can stack 2 patches, creating very complex sounds…

yeah or split the keys in 2 synth - or have a synth for percussion playing while playing on top… seems to have so many possibilities…

1 Like

I have the Rev2 8 voice. It’s great.
Honestly, I don’t even use it that much these days, but when I do, I’m always like “oh, yeah, I remember you”

It’s one of those things that’s just always predictably good. I don’t have to wonder about the quality of what I’m doing besides the patch I’m going for. You know, sometimes your ears play tricks on you, or you’re under the weather, or you might just be so wrapped up in programming or whatever that you lose objectivity. I like having tools where the quality is unquestionable, that way I can just focus on parts and playing.

Also, I use to own the Tetra. The sound is the same family. But the experience is totally different. I’d bet it’s the same with the Mopho.

1 Like

I always have GAS for a Prophet. I don’t even play the keys but I want a Prophet keyboard. It’s Thom Yorke’s fault.

1 Like

I received my rev2 a month ago.

It sounds so good, and with almost no menu diving it’s very immediate. The FX are not amazing but then they are serviceable and patches don’t need to hide behind them.

Although the stack function is class, I tend to use split all the time, and have them split by midi channel - one is sequenced by my torso T1 and the other of by my digitone / keyboard.

this :point_up_2: is a really good example of how subtle and warm the rev2 can sound

2 Likes

Is Thom Yorke using a prophet???

Yeah the tetra is pretty close to the mopho - and I am still in aw with how simple and complex the mopho is at the same time. But I’m learning to use my whole range of keys these days, and it feels so different to play on a 2.5 octave monophonic compared to a full key poly.

Hard to tell if being sarcastic on the interwebz…

3 Likes

I always feel like I have to try to make it sound subtle and warm like this though. It’s almost like it characteristically wants to be more up front and aggressive. Like it always wants to be a featured part. IMO, the “analog warmth” of the Rev2 is more a product of the top end just being really nice, so that no matter how hard you push it, it never sounds harsh or cheap.
By contrast, I think the Peak is a “warmer” synth, characteristically. It always seems to sound more soft and warm and round in the bottom end.

I just feel like this is worth mentioning because “warmth” seems to mean different things to different ears.

My Rev2 is underused at the moment. If you’re in London, contact me about borrowing it.

It’s great. Feature-wise it’s more powerful and wider-ranging than all the more expensive Sequentials. More notes, more modulation, more layers, more MIDI options. It sounds great: basses are meaty and aggressive, pads swirl and evolve, it’ll do dissonant bells and chimes, weird bubbly noises (my favourite), thick drones, leads that can be gentle or searing. It has a lot of options and I find it takes time to dial in really coherent sounds, but the effort is worth it. From listening to Youtube demos, it doesn’t do chewy, syrupy fizz as well as the OB-6 or the P5. But it gets very close. You basically need P6 AND an OB-6 to cover the same range as a Rev2 (but for the money you get their magic fairy dust on top).

4 Likes

No sarcasm! I am just discovering him as a solo artist and definitely has no idea what instrument he plays!

1 Like

well if it is anything similar to the mopho as they are both dsi with the same filter and osc, I hear you. These sound machine really command attention and pierce trough a mix.