Gas rescue mission - analog mono synth edition

You can have it new and someone else will be mighty happy about the B-Stock / open box discount.

There’s really nothing wrong with this as long as it doesn’t become a scheme.

2 Likes

They do!!! :wink:

Well, but that’s the problem: i.e. there’s no way you could convince me that retailers aren’t abusing their stock thusly. Even in-store, I’ve had to fiercely defend the return of what is clearly an open-box or used item, or flat-out refuse to purchase it on the spot. I’ve literally taken to writing down serial numbers when I request that they order a new unit, and insist on seeing the purchase history on their computer inventory before I put my money down. The struggle is real.

But I digress, before a verbal riot ensues here. :wink:

Besides which, there’s already a thread for venting about this.

Cheers!

I’ve been mucking around with the Pro3 a few times and I begged the shop to take my Subsequent37 as a trade every time.
The most obvious and polarising difference is the filter. But the Pro3 still does everything you need for bass and nastiness. By comparison my Subsequent37 is a one trick pony, and needs external reverb or chorus to expand on its otherwise rawness.

If that’s the case, and you do want to keep it simple, and save a lot of money, there’s the DSI/Pioneer AS-1 :wink:

2 Likes

When I buy locally, if the factory seal is broken I politely decline or request more discount and examine contents before leaving. When I call a local store to check inventory I also ask if it’s factory sealed. When I buy online I only buy from places with no questions asked return policies.

I ordered a Pro 3!

I feel good about it, and appreciate everyones input.

I did a decent amount of research, and decided I just need to take the plunge and see if it’s right for me, and my music. I’ll give an update in a few weeks, after it arrives.

Edit - It arrives next Wednesday the 12th, so that was a nice surprise!

4 Likes

Isn’t receiving an item that’s potentially open box (but otherwise new) a direct consequence of a no-questions returns policy?

It seems like we as consumers can’t really expect to be able to return it ‘cos I opened it and realised I didn’t like the colour’ (or whatever), while not being willing to accept the flipside of that deal. Otherwise, we’re just asking the store to take a hit reselling it as b-stock. The logical outcome of that is they raise prices or start charging a restocking fee.

(I say this as someone who loves the ‘try after you buy’ reality of distance selling regulations, but I know it’s not sustainable if it becomes a continual loss for shops.)

I think you underestimate how much these things get marked up. If the retailer is giving you 15% off, then there is still enough room for the seller to get his commission and for the business to make some money. B stock is just part of the game and I bet they still make money