GAS is real until the item is right infront of you

23 Likes

Monomachine absolutely 100% needs a midi keyboard permanently connected to it, the more octaves the better.

(For me anyway. SOPHIE didn’t…)

2 Likes

Same GAS problem here. Right now I’m close on pulling the trigger on a black Octatrack. Will it really be the device I was looking for? Or is it just an old overpriced toy for unproductive fanboys? I really don’t know. :cold_sweat:

Hey don’t personally attack me like that. Lol. You’re right. Maybe I’ll just sell all my gear & just play the didgeridoo

1 Like

No need to be productive just have fun. That’s what it’s about for me.

4 Likes

I had this GAS issue with the Digitone, then I got one and I just couldn’t get into it. That was partially due to having only just picked up a Digitakt and my bank balance was reeling from the shock of both Digis. It was also due to the apparent complexity of the engine, though I’m confident that one day (probably very soon) I will have another and will get on with it better.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up. It’s all good knowledge to know. and also just made me think if I’m not enjoying the gear I have now what makes me think I’ll enjoy the next piece of gear.

1 Like

Some good words here, I think this analysis is super relevant on a collective level also.

I should thank everyone for the free therapy session

3 Likes

well, that’s how our brain produces dopamine.

there’s neither easy nor even known way to change it.

3 Likes

So true…

I totally get you and the feeling you have, I think sometimes (many times) we over build something iconic in our head and then when we really get it it doesn’t live up to the expectations we’ve overbuilt. I did this with a Jupiter 6 (back when they were $1500 NOT $5500 today). Believe it or not, when I got one, I didn’t transform into alan wilder or trent reznor and I really didn’t find it to be better than more modern analog gear I own (or even some VA stuff)…its oscillators were un stable, one was completely out of tune and needed to be replaced and I quickly found out there was a lot of pulling out a tuner to make sure this is in tune and adjusting it. I was far more in love with the concept of owning it, looking at it and telling friends I own one that I was with actually using it. I sold it shortly after getting it.

A current example - I am nearly as happy with my Moog Subsequent 25 as I was with my moog Voyager. Was the Voyager better? Yes - I miss the dual filters in particular. Do I like the vst control and paraphony in addition to the filter and distortion settings on the Subsequent 25 - you bet - Is it good math to capture over 90% of the sound for 25% of the price in a modern, low maintenance form factor you bet!

I hope this helps!

4 Likes

I was similar w digitone, it is great but I had the sounds in other synths and found myself using it more as an effects processor and sequencer on the go and not the internal synths…wish they’d come out with an anatone - would be an incredible VA platform.

hope you can pardon my glumness BUT

this happens to me on an almost constant basis, with occasional periods of relief. i’ve found it usually corresponds with the level of stress i’m under in other areas of life, like my brain gets especially starved for dopamine and needs to cope by researching gear.

it’s a pretty horrible cycle and eats up an enormous amount of time and i can’t tell you how much money i’ve wasted buying this-is-finally-the-holy-grail gear pieces that i’ve been obsessed with the idea of having, only to barely use it at all and then sell it at a loss. there’s a lot of lighthearted and self-deprecating humor around GAS, which is great cause it is funny most of the time, but the truth for me is that i hate having it and wish i could maintain a healthy relationship with gear. things would probably be less toxic if i had just a BIT more money to spare because a lot of this comes from having to account for budgetary limitations instead of just getting the thing that would fulfill the production-related need i have. but maybe not…

17 Likes

This is exactly what I go through. I’m here if ya ever need to talk about it because it’s a sincere problem sometimes for me.

It’s one thing as a hobby but sometimes it’s a disgusting obsession that wears me out.
I’ve been reading about preventative measures and how to reason with myself when I get like that.
It is definitely just tied into my mental health as you mentioned. I guess it’s better than drinking or doing drugs but it definitely still is bothersome at sometimes.

4 Likes

I have found I was better off when I realized:

a) some self control
b) that purchasing things doesn’t give meaning to my existence
c) that happiness comes from accomplishments

These are music making tools and they don’t improve my life by virtue of the fact they sit upon my desk nor can I blame them for my failure to do anything noteworthy with them. The manufacturers aren’t the problem, neither is capitalism.

7 Likes

Americans, please for the love of God stop this.

https://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw

But for real, in my case the GAS cycle is mostly an excuse to not make music “until I have this thing” then once it arrives you realise you just need to make music, until the next toy comes into view and you realise that this NEW new thing is the thing that you need to make music. The cycle continues

4 Likes

The first 48 hours of ownership are critical. Do not play the factory patches.

2 Likes

funny part to me is OP is after an A4 now. a machine that I owned and basically felt the same as they did about the MnM: it’s bland, boring, I don’t like the control layout, etc… but the online content sounds great! “you have to really dig into it to get the most out of it” everyone says. same that us MnM owners are saying to OP now…

1 Like

And its true. You can create totally complex sounds with those 4 layers. There is so much to explore on the A4. Still not boring after years of playing with it. I will experiment with it as filter for my percussion sounds soon.

1 Like