GAS is real until the item is right infront of you

I’ve been searching for a MnM for awhile now.

Well yesterday I had the opportunity to buy this piece of gear locally at a good price.

I’ve drooled over the videos I could find & the sounds, the fx, the polymode, mono tracks, the weirdness, I loved it all.

Before I jumped in the MnM cult, I researched every youtube video I could find, every song on here that included the MnM, and I REALLY gave my full attention… after an hour of audio, performance, videos, etc, I realized that, that particular piece of gear has no sound suitable for me. I didn’t like the digital weirdness of it anymore at all.

Even with all it’s features & me being a fan of the company, I couldn’t hear anything I liked. The genres it’s geared towards are not particularly my favorite & in my experience trying to make gear go against its own nature isn’t worth the trouble.

It personally feels like I’d get more out of the A4 and/or Digitone for its ability to be less strict with the sequencer. (What I love about the Elektron devices) Somehow my GAS & FOMO was gone & I felt so dumbfounded that I wanted one so bad & now I could care less.

I know I messed up probably. People seem to love it for what it is, I did too at one time. I’ll probably lust it again someday. I should have just bought it. But I’m glad I’ll save the money towards something else I 100% know I will use & love the sound of.

Yesterday was a tough day if anxiousness, regret, and relief.

I hate this hobby sometimes.

Does anyone else have similar stories?

17 Likes

Let a few ones consciously “slip” like that and have gotten increasingly better at replacing the regrets driven by “what ifs” with the pride of being disciplined and making the most of what I have already.

You did a good thing :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I really appreciate this comment! It’s a hard pill to swallow but I feel good today that I didn’t spend the money just because of FOMO & GAS.

4 Likes

Considering the resell value if it was indeed at a good price then I would have bought it and played with it for a while, if it really wasn’t for me it would just be put back up for sale with little to no money lost and the itch thoroughly scratched :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I considered that also but I’d rather not fuel the fire of inflation on the MnM given the prices are already too high for what it is.
The itch has subdued & my lust is back on the Octatrack.

Reselling & shipping is kind of a hassle for me not being a native speaker of the country I’m in right now. Plus I’d probably end up liking it and keeping it for some reason.

4 Likes

I had a similar experience with the MD to be honest.

I’d wanted one since the late ‘00s, and have been researching the hell out of them. I was able to get a good deal on ebay and jumped on it.

I was so excited to get my hands on it, and felt pretty comfortable using it after a week or so, but I wasn’t sure I was crazy about how it sounded.

I still go back and forth and wonder if I should just sell it and het am ARmk2, but those 16 LFOs call me like sirens, and I keep thinking about how deep it is and how great others make it sound.

I may still sell it, or maybe I’ll just keep it for fun and just because…

2 Likes

I didn’t understand how you firstly loved it all watching videos and later didn’t liked the sound. What happened between those two steps?

3 Likes

How long did you play with the Monomachine?

1 Like

Had a similar thing with the MnM. Once I got my hands on one for a demo. I kinda laughed. It seemed like a chiptune instrument in person. Well aware it can go beyond this scope though. But I promptly kept my coin in my pocket and haven’t gas’d again for it since. The A4 on the other hand, well… the gas is real

1 Like

I actually recently got a MD & I have a love hate with it.
I understand what you mean with the sound. I’ve had times already where it’s just… Bland.

I love it enough to go drop it off at the Elektron warehouse today & get new encoders & a +drive installed. I figured I’ll get my money back from it if I want to sell it.

I didn’t like the fact that the MnM is from the same Generation as the MD & will probably sound similar as in the negative aspects.
Also the sequencers are the same & I don’t think the Elektron sequencer is good on the old machines for non drum synthesis. Those two aspects turned me off the MnM yesterday sadly when I really thought about it being in front of me.
I’m an ambient & chill slow idm guy.
The MnM chill factor isn’t shown in any videos or sounds.
The MD does chill idm & ambient percussive stuff. ALSO the md audio in as effects adds that 12bit reduction sound as an effect and makes my synths nice & crunchy. I didn’t even know it could be used as an effect unit. (Amazed)

I was able to acquire one easily.
(Mental health issue of mine probably)

1 Like

Haha right! I really ask myself that question about my experience with the Arturia Polybrute which I wanted since it was announced but after receiving it it just wasn’t for me at all.
The good thing is that you gain the experience and become clear about what you want.
I’d love to use the Monomachine though.

1 Like

I’ve done this with so many ‘holy grail’ synths I have lost count!

1 Like

Didn’t at all. I convinced myself I don’t need it.

The A4 seems more like something I’d love. I love the sound demos of it even though it’s only 4 voices. I’d prefer it over the MnM if I had to pick from what I’ve heard alone.

If it’s somewhat like the Digitone then you can make any genre and style with it so your reason/conclusion is maybe rather hastily made.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m still half asleep (apparently)^^I thought you’ve bought it and realized you didn’t like the sound.
:coffee:

I was convinced for a long time I wanted one then I changed my mind once I logically thought about it’s features & sounds. Hastily changed my mind but that’s how mind changing works sometimes

Good morning

3 Likes

The investment of time and effort required to get anything interesting / exciting / punchy out of the Monomachine is very high, I have to say. Every factory preset sound and pattern sounds weak to me (and the stock wavetables are massively improved by the Immortal Waves pack). And even when you get there it’s not for everyone.

The Digitone is such an instant gratification machine in comparison.

7 Likes