[FUNC] SaveProj DT - pattern manager for Digitakt

Yeah it’s painful. Not to stoke GAS but they’re a lot of fun. I think the functionality is largely covered off in the 'takt series though. Anyway, keep up the good work!

1 Like

Going down to 2.35 is an easy fix, I sent you an updated file. I checked it on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, hopefully it works for you too.

1 Like

Oh man! I wish i had linux!

Waiting for windows version for this and the DN one

Please please work on windows versions!

And here’s the promised video of its usage:

4 Likes

Thank you very much! Now it is working good and fast. I somehow still cannot believe how easy and fast it is to change things in the projects…
I have some observations/feedback:

• after one drag two projects, there is no more info on the shortcuts. Maybe it is only me, but as I am dealing with data that i dont want to mess up. I am always afraid of not knowing how to do things. Maybe there can be a button somewhere where you get that info again?

• about shortcuts and my fear of messing up… maybe is better to use something like Ctrl+S, etc instead of only S? I guess you took that decision to make things easier, but sometimes Imight think that I am writing a name, and instead I am removing duplicates or saving.

• I really like that you can put two projects next to each other.

• I was confused when I noticed that “untitled” patterns with data have no name and instead they are lighter. I was thinking that my project was almost empty.

• Very nice detail that in the laptop, you see the modified projects being called “project1 FUNCSaveProj.dtprj” but neither in the program nor in DT you see the FuncSaveProj part

• Most of my samples show a “no name found!” notice. There is no problem when i load it back to DT though. I am not sure but maybe it has something to do with uppercase? I loaded them into the digitakt with transfer and that way it accept names with lowercase (would be nice to have that in FUNCSaveProj too, btw). But maybe the only names that I can see are the one from the “factory” file.

• An “undo” and “redo” function would be nice.

Maybe this is some unsolicited opinion, so you are, of course, in your right to ignore all that :slight_smile: The program is good and user flexibility too.
This is not open-sourced, right? have you thought about opening it?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it is indeed valuable for me! Here are my responses:

• I personally like to work fast, which is why I designed the UI in this way. The screen is refreshed at 60 FPS on the GPU, like a video game. Key shortcuts are on the left side of the keyboard so you can use mouse with your right hand and turbocharge your workflow with your left hand. It’s a total overkill for this type of app, but it was fun for me to implement and feels much nicer than my earlier apps for Analog Four and Digitone. So using S instead of Ctrl+S was an intentional choice. Maybe in the future there can be a settings page, where you can choose your style of keyboard shortcuts.

• Also, with more future functionality I will need a toolbar, and on this toolbar I will put a help button to bring back the information on shortcuts etc.

• To help with the fear of messing up, I made sure that the program doesn’t overwrite any of your files, saving a new one with a FUNCSaveProj suffix, as you noticed.

• The program uses various criteria to determine if an item is empty, and the “emptiness” is then reflected in the item’s color. When a pattern shows up as UNTITLED in Digitakt, it only means that it has no name, but of course it’s not always empty. In order to avoid visual clutter I decided to not display a name at all instead of displaying UNTITLED everywhere. Maybe I could display no-name patterns as UNTITLED if they are not “empty” and leave only the “empty” ones without a name…

• When you see “NO NAME FOUND!” for a sample, that is definitely an issue. I already fixed one such issue for the Windows build, but it doesn’t appear in any of my Linux builds, and I test on samples in both upper and lowercase. Maybe you can send me a minimal .dtprj file that has this issue?

• I might open source it in a distant future, but it’s too early to talk about it. Right now it’s just a minimally useful product and nowhere near projects like elektroid. The source code and build system need much more work before open sourcing, and for now I see my time better spent elsewhere.

2 Likes

I have been waiting for something like this for years. Thank you!

Bought a copy but I run Debian stable (libc 2.36, but the binary is linked to 2.38).
Any chance to get a build for it?

Also wonder how you’re planning to do updates in the future? Of course if you’re into open sourcing then this wouldn’t be a problem.

2 Likes

I sent you a re-linked executable on the email you used for the purchase. You’re asking a good question… Maybe Ko-Fi is not well suited for this, so I will look into alternatives. I wanted to start with something super simple, because if it’s just a dozen guys using the program, I can totally manage with manual emails.

1 Like