Full modular or several semi-modulars?

So, I couldn’t find a topic about this specific query and I’d like the advice of people who love and use various forms of modular gear. Caveat: I’ve never owned a skiff and a bunch of modules, but I have owned 0-Coast(s), Strega, Subharmonicon, SQ-1, etc, and I really loved patching things together to expand their possibilities and sounds. Now what I loved about semi-modulars is that you get a bunch of functionality (albeit watered down from separate modules) in a relatively small space and the limitations of such devices bread creativity in ways that the endlessness of a modular system may not present because you can always add this, that, and the other. Take 0-Coast, for example, you get so much more for your money if you think about all the uses it can serve compared to a single module of the same price. Or, as is on my prospective buy list, Pulsar-23 gives a tremendous amount of utility compared to much bigger modular systems. So, basically, my question is, should I gather a bunch of semi-modulars or just go full modular? As for some background, I recently had to sell everything and am now starting over because of finding a better job and clearing my debts. I’m in no rush as I’m moving countries in three months, so plenty of time to decide on the next path. What do those who have used both think about such things? Would a Make Noise Shared System make more sense than the things I’ve mentioned above? Or something from Erica Synths? Or even the Tiptop Buchla modules?

2 Likes

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t bother with eurorack at all.

I have a Pittsburgh SV1. Standalone. And it is brilliant.

The problem with eurorack, is that it becomes limited bt either space money or both, and then essentially becomes… “semi” modular, in that it reaches a point at which it has limits.

Again, just my take on it. Id go with semi modular. Or, if you’re happy with software, VCV / mirack solves the whole issue… plus PATCH MEMORY!

Of course I wouldnt say no to a real life modulat set up. But financially and practically- I’m good with virtual.

7 Likes

‘Modular’ and ‘semi-modular’ are formats, not instruments. What do you actually want to do?

7 Likes

Knowing what I know now (Eurorack user since 2014), I’d say start semi-modular, and then use modular as a supplement. Modular excels are CV control. There are some cool oscillators and filters but most of that stuff will be cheaper and easier to use as parts of an instrument.

OR, if you go full modular, save yourself a lot of headaches and start with a single manufacturer system.

4 Likes

Good question. What I love about patching various semi-modulars together is that if, say I change the envelope on one of them that is producing a bass sound then it also (through patching, StackCables) it also affects another semi-modular. I think, as it’s my only experience before, having distinct sources is good for keeping track of what is doing what, but maybe I would soon get used to manipulating a modular skiff in the same way. I guess, my main question is whether it’s a waste of time/money getting many discrete semi-modulars working together rather than getting a skiff of whatever size and building something from there over time. As for the kind of sounds I go for, it’s minimal rhythms, lots of noisy texture, and chord progressions. Here’s an example:

100% agree on single manufacturer system.

Been in Euro since 2015. I have 12Uish of modules that I haven’t changed for about 4 years.

I originally got into it because it reminded me of programming and I’m better at writing software than playing keyboard/writing music.

These days, it’s a Swiss army chainsaw for tracks, either being a crazy bass voice, an ambient machine, a sample farm – but 99% of the time it’s an enormous drum machine with insane depth.

I think the biggest lesson (for me) with going modular was that it’s (for me) more about a way of working (the process) as opposed to a way to get cool sounds. There are a lot of awesome modules and really cool marketing, but to a certain extent most of the sounds you get can be found via software, fixed architecture synths, pedals, etc. I guess that’s not a helpful statement though, in theory none of us need gear and computers work fine.

I’m rambling a bit. I guess I’d say if you’re interested in electricity and like building larger abstractions out of small building blocks, it’s very fun and interesting, beyond just making music. It can be meditative to patch and explore, like noodling on a piano or guitar can be. Your mind tends to wander. I love using the modular in this way as well.

If you’re just trying to break up the process a bit and experiment, I think the 0-coast and stuff like it is an awesome way to dip your toe in. With that said, large modular systems are a huge time suck and every module you add has an exponential complexity effect on the rest of the system. It can definitely get in the way of making music, if that’s your main goal. Haven’t even touched on the GAS cycle with modular which is breakneck.

I’ll wrap it up because I’m still rambling – it’s very fun, and what you get out of it, like most things, depend largely on your expectations and what you put into it.

3 Likes

I have a full blown modular system, and I prefer that to semi-modular any day. While still “modular”, the instruments you used to own still had a specific identity for its overall function. With eurorack, you can create more of your own identity with what you ultimately put together, and there are a lot of great options in both the digital and analog realm. It is a lot more expensive to go down that route, but there are so many more options.

2 Likes

Excellent answer. This bit stuck out to me…

I do like noodling but I’m very focused on trying to make tracks once I know what I’m doing with any bit of gear. This is what makes me think the several semi-modular route might be better for my process (after all they don’t all have to be used all at once) but I’ve always been curious about the Make Noise Shared System as a be all and end all, dream setup. Hence the original query for those who have done both. Thanks for your ramblings! :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

You’ve just downloaded VCV right? So… build the make noise shared system… and see how you get on with it. :slight_smile:

(Not sure if make noise stuff comes with the free download, might be something you have to pay for)

3 Likes

As stated above, I’d highly recommend single manufacturer. If I could do it all again I’d only buy Doepfer stuff or get a MN shared system or something.

It will eliminate the whole curve (IMO) of buying things and figuring out this module probably wasn’t what you needed, it was something else. This goes on for a while depending on how interested you are in electricity (IMO) as understanding of that layer really opened my mind on how you can patch things.

5 Likes

It seems there are hacks/workarounds/emulations of the Make Noise staples but not the full modules on VCV :frowning:

My sense from watching your work over the past year or so is that (1) you respond well to limitations with your equipment (2) you don’t have a lot of money. I think you should stick to semi-modulars (though Pulsar-23 is pretty expensive in this category). The new Cre8audio East Beast and West Pest look very promising, and there should be more coming from Pittsburgh Audio at a somewhat higher price point but with more functionality. Full modular is expensive. If you go that route, I think you should do the research and piece together what you can on the used market, rather than go for something like a Shared System.

4 Likes

Another thought. Is it possible with a Make Noise Shared System (or equivalent single-manufacturer system) to produce discrete parts? I.e., send the bass part out to this input on a soundcard, drums to this one, lead to that one, etc etc? This is very easy in semi-modular land because each one has an output.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the read and sanity check! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as you have a mixer/preamp with enough headroom and/or VCAs this is no problem. Think you need +24dBu of headroom for ‘typical’ audio rate modular signals? Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

1 Like

If full modular is an option, I think you’ll get more mileage out of that route than multiple semi-modulars, if only for the flexibility you’ll have to swap things out and keep evolving your instrument. (Though of course it’s probably the more costly route.)

I started with a Shared System and I feel like it was a great way to dive in because there’s no way I could’ve put together a system that cohesive/complete on my own when I was just getting started. That said, part of the fun of modular is making it your own, so there’s definitely merit to getting a case and slowly filling it with what interests you most.

3 Likes

You need a mixer that can handle Eurorack level, or something to bring those signals down to line level. But yes, it can be done.

2 Likes

The Make Noise shared system has a sequencer/touch plate, an analog complex oscillator, some modulation sources, some effects, and a tape style granular machine (Morphagene). The Morphagene alone is over $500 new, and that may be something you decide you don’t need. Those are the things you need to think about when you purchase eurorack gear. It’s way too easy to buy all the cool modules! VCV would be a great way to see if you like the workflow.

1 Like

Definitely. Another option, if something like Morphagene appeals is to semi-modular and then get a 4ms pod for a few choice extra modules.

1 Like

I’m in the midst of selling off my Euro. I was primarily interested in noise, drones, and noisy drones, and the Lyra-8 and Syntrx Mk1 cover that territory very very well.

It was easy to sell popular modules like Hertz Donut Mk1, Maths and the DRM-110. It has been far harder to sell Doepfer modules. Surprisingly, my Plague Bearers remain unsold. They were a hot commodity when I bought them, but I guess people have moved on. Worth considering when you think of the lifetime total cost of ownership of your gear.

A fully modular system can be more flexible than a handful of semi-modules, but you need to ensure you have plenty of VCAs, Mixers, and other utilities to make everything work. This gets expensive quickly, not just in terms of dollars, but also studio space. I could very easily spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new modular system. But what’s the point if the Lyra & Syntrx satisfy (me)?

I’m currently living out of hotels while I find a new residence. My Lyra is unpacked on the couch, while my euro modules are packed safely in the back of my car. My patch cables are in a moving truck somewhere between SF and Chicago, and my case sold a few days before I departed the Bay Area. My current hotel room is roughly the size of a large studio apartment - there is room for my partner, our luggage, most of my boxed up studio with room left over to open up the Lyra or Syntrx.

I could see adding the MakeNoise SS or one of the big Erica system, possibly both. I suspect they would be easier to sell as a unit, should I decide to, and far better synth designers than me put them together, so that is appealing.

I don’t know what you should do, just wanted to share that it is possible to enjoy a modular system and then move back to something less modular. It all depends on what you want to accomplish: can you get the sounds and functionality out of a preexisting discrete synth like me? If so, great! If not, euro is right there, ready to drain your bank account. :rofl:

5 Likes