Frustrations with the envelope on the Analog Rytm

Can someone help me understand why it makes sense for the AR amp envelope to not be retriggered by a new trigger??

My understanding is that other envelopes on all other elektron devices work in this way.

Why would they make the AR differently? What is the benefit?

I still don’t really understand how the attack and hold times interact? And why doesn’t the attack work if hold is set to auto?

It all just seems so unnecessarily complicated for no benefit.

2 Likes

I don’t know the reason but it’s just the way it works on rytm, the most important part to understand is if you want attack you need to make sure that the previous trig envelope closes before the next trig, it’s not just hold but decay as well, and if you use hold=AUTO then trig length also should be taken into consideration.

usually what I do to make sure that the envelope closes is to make a significant attack, like >20 and listen to it, when you hear the proper attack you know that the previous trig’s envelope closed, then you can adjust the attack back to desired value.

again, no idea why it’s like that but it’s just how it works.

3 Likes

That’s not too bad for making a static pattern, but stops working if you want to modulate or change the attack/decay live.

If you increase the delay too much all of a sudden you’ve messed up the attack of the next note.

It all seems very weird?

pretty much yes

personally I don’t really notice that anymore, it’s just a thing I got used to with the many quirks of the rytm and it really doesn’t bother me, and honestly after 1.70 it even bothers me less because before 1.70 it would click as hell regardless of the attack (and on choke tracks as well), so things are much better now in that regard.

what you can do to mitigate things is perhaps bind the attack/decay to velocity mod, or if you’re using a perf you can do the same, if one goes up the other goes down, something like that, other then that you might wanna open a ticket to support…

couple more ideas:

• filter - creating attack with filter can be useful in certain scenarios
  • lfo - trig/one mode and create the attack with it, guaranteed attack on every trig :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Yep this always bugged me too. And on a drum machine where repeating envelopes might make the most sense, ha.

I’ve learned to live with it too, or waste an LFO if there’s a sound I really want a consistent attack on.

I can also agree that my main reason for wanting the attack retrigger was to rid of clicks that are no longer as prevalent. So big win for 1.7

1 Like

yeah some things in rytm are real eyebrow raisers, especially compared to other elektrons, but it is what it is and I’m just happy the loudest clicks in the universe stopped after 1.70 lol

6 Likes

One thing to maybe think about or use is that the SAMPLE will not restart if the trig has the sample-trig turned off, so the amp envelope can be used to control the amp of the sample in a way that is kinda-sorta-independent of the synth-trigged sound.

Try this: put a long sample on top of a rim-shot synth, then lay down a regular trig followed by several trigs that have SMP turned off on the TRIG page. The sample keeps playing even though the rimshot is retriggered. Then use the AMP envelope to control the level of the level of the long sample, keeping in mind that once the decay is done the amp envelope will re-start.

This is probably obvious to anyone who has used their Rytm for more than a month–but it was new to me today. Fun stuff, this machine, even with all it’s really odd design choices.

4 Likes

Oh wow, that is kind of nuts actually. I’ve had a Rytm for maybe 1.5 cumulative years over time and never thought to try this.

Right? This opens things up quite a bit. You can do a cool rhythmic tremelo effect on pads or whatnot, have a pad doing weird filtersweeps over the top of a RS that’s only occasionally retrigging the filter env, for example.

But I’m still annoyed we can’t retrigger the amp env. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I actually reported this as a bug several times, but eventually avantronica explained it that it’s not a bug but intended behavior… if you use this with single cycle waveforms (like I did to layer say a saw on top of something) and you use LOOP on it won’t stop.

1 Like

A good video about this topic.

2 Likes