Frustrating old reviews on things improved vastly through updates

The Torso T1 has this issue. There were some major OS updates that added a ton of features, but it’s been a couple of years since the most popular reviews of it were done, so unless you’re really paying attention you’d miss those features.

We’re also talking major updates, like double the track lengths, per-step editing, Midi CC control per track, live Midi effects tracks and incoming Midi manipulation, and some other stuff, that really change what it can do.

1 Like

Good idea for a thread.

Makes me think of people trapped by something that they did or even something that happened to them in the past, and being denied opportunity for life.

For companies and products, how about ROLI ?

Once upon a time the Rise keyboard was a revolutionary game changer. The company made some decisions common for startups, and got in a financial bind, and could not support their product.

Now they have gotten beyond the financial problem, and are manufacturing an improved Rise 2.

It’s up to everyone to make their own decisions, but there is an enormous stigma now for them.

See some of the comments in the Rise thread for instance.

4 Likes

Polyend the company in general.

4 Likes

I think it is worth pointing out the opposite is also kind of true on forums, plenty of synths have outstanding bugs that can be a deal breaker for some while others use it in a way where the bugs dont come up, and generally the people who use it in a way where the bugs dont come up are the ones who keep using it and stay active talking about it. If someone asks if it is still buggy the response is always something like “I never run into any bugs”.

1 Like

The issue you describe here probably applies to almost every firmware updatable device on the market. If a developer is good at creating regular patches then that glut of first release videos that YouTube pushes at you can be very misleading.
This is why I love forums like Elektronauts to get the latest spin on what’s lush and what’s slush.

I experienced this recently with reviews of Isla Instruments S2400. Even tried searching “S2400 review 2023” and got next to nothing covering the new features added or the bugs squashed etc. Still looks awesome tho.

I get this even with equipment I own. I’ll be searching for something and find a comment that X cannot be done, and I thought it could… well, it was added in an update. (Lot of that with Elektron boxes.) Or I look at a Sound on Sound review of something, and it’s only about the initial release (sometimes they mention it’s a pre-production model!).

That’s just something to be aware of. I’d rather have the information and make sure to double-check it, than be working in a relative vacuum.

1 Like

So many online reviews seem to be “parroting” of a popular comment on the internet.
On one hand you could be reading the comment because there is some truth in it,
on the other
comments are just a fashionable thing to blurt out.

Many times I have asked a question about the gear someone is complaining about, and the response was, “I don’t have one, I just heard it somewhere.”

So if I really want some piece of gear I’d rather find out for myself instead of trusting comments.

A lot of peoples opinions about gear is formed in two weeks or less.
People who seem to revel in gas, and YouTube “influencers”

2 Likes

If you’re talking about comments on youtube videos or on modwiggler, then fair enough. At the other extreme, Loopop (for one) does thorough, accurate, reviews which are correct at point of publishing … but inevitably, they age, to the point that they’re misleading. I guess you have in mind something between those two extremes.

1 Like

I’m definitely not saying all YouTubers
There’s a few who do excellent and through reviews.
Loopop for example seems to really get a grasp on most of the features and how they work.
He has a solid understanding of music gear.

Still though, I wonder how different someone like that would review a product they’ve had for years. It’s just not going to get hits like the most bran new thing will.

Threads such as the “A4 the most incredible…” is much more revealing than anyone’s review based on weeks.

My takeaway point is so many opinions are formed from the current fad, which is tainted somewhat

1 Like

Digitakt midi was a fu@&#% mess when it launched , conveniently avoided on the initial sonic state presentation and other interviews.

Worked out fine eventually and subsequent similar hardware releases ( digitone / Syntakt ) haven’t had the same issues.

General Magazine reviews … I don’t trust them - I get a general sense of the device but they’re usually a bit optimistic

Pioneer devices - based on experience and anecdotal comments on forums - once they release the device it seems unlikely to get fixed or any longer term support - see as1 and sp16 sampler and dj1000 , squid

The OT is a fine example people parroting what someone else said.
“The FX are bad”
“It’s too complicated”
“It’s too vanilla”
“it’s too old”
“It doesn’t do _______”

I find none of those to be true, and many probably formed from a lack of experience or willingness to learn.
Quite possibly mistakes or misunderstandings.
But most importantly, “parroting”

1 Like

Oxi One. As thorough and as honest as Loopop’s reviews typically are, the one of a very early Oxi didn’t really help, maybe with the exception that it created quite some visibility of a previously almost unknown device.

1 Like

How about products people skip because of their name. Or its color, or lack of the current styling, or other things that have no affect on the sound.

I think of the Timetosser from Alter Audio ( thread ). People can’t let go of a regional language usage, and dismiss this product out of hand. And yet it’s an interesting and fairly unique product, with many uses, especially now, with the Eurorack version that can do the same live performance rhythmic musical shuffling to both CV signals, and audio.

Sonicware Smpltrek, Akai Force are two which I avoided due to mostly critical reviews on earlier firmwares, both are great now IMHO. I guess YouTubers don’t get much views from revisiting gear after initial release, though to be fair some do make follow up videos.

1 Like

2 Likes

I would love to see more of that.
Maybe as time goes on that will become a thing.
Currently it seems fashionable to think gear is old after a few years.
Certainly there will be another vintage revival

3 Likes

The S2800 + MC-50 combo is very affordable these days! I know which I’d rather have tho…

1 Like