Free Ambient Album featuring Analog Keys

Hi everyone I just finished the album Ive been working on for a few months now… it features Analog Keys quite heavily, along with some VST pads here and there. The AK is the real star though…

https://invisible-acropolis.bandcamp.com/releases

4 Likes

Just heard this on Facebook and this is absolutely brilliant man! I do not understand why nobody commented on this yet… Anyway, care to share some more information on this??

I am really interested on how you mixed this and what you used for it… Especially the low end is so good… Definitely not the Low End that I can get from my Analog 4…

Perhaps it’s time for me to trade the A4 for an AK :wink:

Keep up the good work man!

facebook? wtf… lol i posted it there a while ago then deactivated my account again :laughing: (i fucking hate facebook)

are you friends with Marley Carrol or something? hes a buddy of mine, we worked at the same place for a while… i guess he shared it around? dunno

yeh so the bass was definitely the AK all the way, but i also ran it thru an “aphex aural exciter 104 with big bottom” … its an old analog exciter - thats the secret sauce there

the bass was already deep and subby, but in a mix/mastering situation where you want to match up with all the “finished” tracks out there in the wild, i felt like it could use a bump - especially after the final mixes were compressed and run thru the limiter, etc.

btw - i made a kickdrum sound with the AK, ran it thru the exciter (using extreme settings) and got the kind of results ive been searching for since i cant remember, years and years of searching… those super low kicks with the sharp analog transient laser-like blip - took less than a minute to dial it in, it was like the heavens opened up and angels were singing LOL… heres a sample of it i loaded into the OT for later:

https://www.elektronauts.com:/uploads/default/original/2X/4/4567e9cd590a1fd7d08f907e223c953173af1cd3.wav

2 Likes

Amazing stuff, congrats on the release

Often wondered about those old exciters

Do you run the mix through them?

Sounds 3D your mix or maybe it’s the analog 4 space reverb

Thanks a lot for the information… No man, you are on the front page of the Elektron Facebook Page so I suppose they’ve posted it :wink:

I already had the feeling that there would be more going on besides the already nice bottom end on the Analog Keys itself… Thanks for sharing your secret man… Damn… I need one of those!!

Cheers

thanks for the kind words, guys :sparkling_heart:

no no - that Aphex isnt very good on a total mix in my experience… of course Ive got one of the old grey and purple models - the new ones may have a better analysis engine, so it may work better… but i only ran the bass thru it in this situation… BUT - it must be said that for the aphex to shine, you need to start with something that has plenty of “substance” to it… and the AK does that easily - for example ive run other things thru it and they sound like garbage

as far as the 3d-ness… thats always been my goal with sound design, having that big tangible space feeling, like it fills the room… lots of ideas go into it: nice reverb like you mention, also having low low sounds contrast with high high sounds and lots of reverb contrasting with almost no reverb - probably the most important thing is having sounds that pan around a lot, so the stereo field gets a real workout

I’ve only heard the first 4 minutes of Trismegistus and it’s fucking awesome!.

What a nice sounds and arrangement!.

Congrats man! :wink:

Downloading, I like a bit of Ambient, especially on the headphones when I’m out and about pretending to be in a music video.

I look forward to the experience

Like this a lot. This is certainly my cup of tea. Inspires me to use the a4 more.

nice work! What VST did you use for pads?

Enjoyed this, a bit of augmented reality brought to my walk around the city yesterday.
Strange thing was, I didn’t even notice it had finished when it did, such as it wove into the general experience and wove out again, but definitely not “wallpaper music” as my Dad once said of some ambient.

A[quote=“insect, post:10, topic:28120, full:true”]
nice work! What VST did you use for pads?
[/quote]

some pads were from the AK, some were from Kontakt and Reaktor…