Fors Opal users thread

Ah, I see. Thank you so much!

Hi everyone,

Probably a stupid question but I can’t seem to find the “right” answer.
I love messing with Fors Opal, but also Dot, Lux, box etc.

My question is: how do you guys manage your devices to make the sounds evolve in a track etc.?
Only with automation? I remember making a full track with Opal devices with only automation but it was a very intense experience (and I’m used to trackers, if that’s saying something).

So I was wondering if, apart from keeping one midi track where you have all your Fors sequencers sequencing your Fors devices and working only with automation lanes in the arrangement view you guys did otherwise ?

For example: I have a drum rack with 3 Lux instances, and 3 dot midi devices sequencing it on the same track. So I have a nice pattern with a kick, a snare and a hat, all made with Lux and sequenced with dot, right?
Well now, if I want to make the sequence evolve in a track, I don’t have any other choice than automating the Dot pattern density, lux pitch etc. ? There has to be a better way I’m sure! Like for example recording midi to another track and then copying each Lux device into a new rack? @_@

Not very good with Ableton yet but I’m a quick learner!
Thanks a lot for your help :wink:

I think Ableton lets you expand a drum rack, which puts each drum on its own track. Good for tweaking each part after you get then patterns down.

Thanks. Yes it does but the issue is that the midi is not written in the pattern as it is sequenced via dot, which is an euclidian sequencing fors device. So it’s not really what I’m looking for I don’t know if I’m very clear hehe

I really dig the Fors M4L devices…

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to import them into C74s RNBO and port them to become a real VST?

Not everything works in RNBO currently, I can’t help but think if it could have been done he would have done it! If it worked in RNBO could be put on a hardware Pi with knobs!

2 Likes

Could you not record the midi down and then split the drum rack with the recorded midi.

2 Likes

Yes that’s precisely what I’d love to do but I can’t seem to do it.

Here’s what I do: on my midi track (which is called “Experimentati” on the screenshot) I have this chain: Fors Dot, then a drum rack containing 2 Lux devices and an FX for each.

When I arm the track and record, it doesn’t record the midi from the Dot device. I probably need to do something but I am pretty new to Ableton so I’m a bit confused!

A bit rusty but it will probably something like-

Create new midi track and set its source to the track you wish to record

So on the new track, you’d look for ‘Experimental’ in the drop down menu for ‘midi from’

Or something like that.

1 Like

Hmm, it kinda looks like track 3 is set up this way.
Have you tried to record the midi data here?

You may need to record arm both tracks 3 and 4.

Apologies if this isn’t entirely accurate. As I said, I’m a bit rusty and also eating breakfast away from my computer!

1 Like

In fact track 3 is set up like that because I did exactly what you suggest and recorded the midi from track 4 on track 3. The issue is that because my devices are on track 4 and not track 3 I cannot then expand the drum rack to individual midi tracks with the associated devices!
So I have to record midi from T4 on T3 and then create another instrument rack where I copy and paster T4’s instruments, then expand the rack to indiviudal tracks. It takes a loooong time :slight_smile:

That’s not really how RNBO works, in terms of simply porting a Max patch into RNBO. It is its own language, just as Gen~/Gen is, so everything would need to be largely re-written. Plus there’s licensing considerations (costs) when using RNBO commercially. I believe Ess has addressed this a few times

1 Like

Again I apologise for stabbing in the dark a bit but when I’ve done something kinda similar, using an arpeggiator and recording the midi output to another track, I just dragged the new midi clip over to the original track with the devices on it and turned off the arpeggiator.
This allowed the new midi clip to play just the devices

1 Like

That and the adaptation to RNBO… I hadn’t thought about that at all. Thx for reminding.

1 Like

I’m not sure I 100% follow you process. I set it up like follows:

Dot -> Drum rack, and drum rack set to in.

Then I record into Drum rack track, then switch Drum rack to auto and we have:

The finally pull out the individual tracks:

This is a little slow process, and I don’t like having the mini separate, so recently I’ve been using Audio Routes (Article: Audio Routes: A new system for multi-channel routing in Ableton Live | Cycling '74), which allows allows you route channels from racks.

4 Likes

Please don’t apologize for helping I really appreciate!
That’s already a great improvment from my workflow for sure!

2 Likes

Thanks for your help and sharing your process. I think that’s actually way better than what I tried to do. The answer is in fact to just have the DOT in a different track like you do.

My idea was to record the midi generated by Dot on the same track, so I can then export each individual instrument with its associated midi on separate tracks, like shown in this video below.

In the video the guy starts with a drum rack which already contains midi in it so he just has to export each track from the drum rack.

1 Like

Tried it, works fantastic!!
Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

This one is really nice:

9 Likes
11 Likes