Forever synth or forever guitar?

Hi all,

I just turned 50 and I’m thinking of giving myself a big present–doesn’t have to happen right away (in fact, I’d better see what I owe the gub’ment in federal taxes first!). I’m kinda torn between getting myself a really quality polysynth, a really nice acoustic guitar, or nothing.

A little background: I have several guitars and while I’m hardly a “guitarist,” it’s probably the most relaxing musical activity for me. I don’t perform or record guitar–it’s just for fun. I have a couple of ok acoustics (and a decent Fender American strat), but my best acoustic is a $600 Epiphone Masterbuilt with spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. It’s fine, but sounds best at volume and isn’t very rich in harmonics, etc. I’d really love a Martin 000 or 00-28–several friends have these, and I love the smaller size and richness of the rosewood. Much more suited to quiet strumming and fingerpicking on my couch.

I have lots of synths. I’ve paired down my setup to a good balance, but I have several monos (including a Pro3 as the workhorse and a few more specialized ones like a B2600, Typhon, some modular). I also have a Summit and a few all-digital polys (a Hydra desktop, an old Kawai K5000, a TX7). So I hardly need another poly, but I’ve had my eye on a P5 for a while, or the lower-end choice of the T5. I might keep the Summit or sell it.

Which would you do? Anything I might not have considered? I’ve looked into Udo, Polybrute, etc. and am not super drawn to any. I’m similarly just not moved by Taylors and Gibsons, but I suppose that could be unfounded bias. The theme here is “classic, simple, timeless,” whichever way I go.

The idea here is for a fun exercise in good humor–I’m sure there are arguments for why I should just get better at the gear I own, observe NGNY, favor tiny obscure boutique makers, be less consumerist, etc., but pointing any of that out wouldn’t be much fun for me, as much as it might be for you… :laughing:

3 Likes

I think this thread can speak for itself:

Lots of other cool polys out there, but the TI series still qualifies as a Forever Poly in 2022. I just traded my TI2 kbd for a TI1 desktop last year and couldn’t be happier.

Edit: between the P5 and T5, I’m not sure what I’d pick. But from a cost perspective, any synth amortized over 10 years is pretty cheap, and you probably have at least 10-20 years, maybe a lot more if you are in good shape, of jamming left in you.

2 Likes

“Classic, simple, timeless” sounds like a P5 to me. The sound, the minimalist panel, the build quality, all of that to me seems like it makes it an instrument you’d be able to play for a long time and continue getting enjoyment. I don’t own a P5 so maybe I shouldn’t recommend it but… I mean come on, it’s a P5.

That said, a nice Martin acoustic could be just the ticket. I’m similar to you in that I play my guitars to relax; I have a Taylor acoustic that I got like 20 years ago and has a crack in the body, but I still play it every day and love the feeling. I can imagine if that was a really nice guitar, with a quality feel and sparkling sound, that would make those meditative sessions a lot better.

6 Likes

Ive just done this very thing. UDO Super 6 for my 40th. Feels only right celebrating it with a piece of gear Ill never part with.

1 Like

Prophet 5 is the one polysynth that still pulls at me. If you feel a similar pull, I’m guessing it will bring you years of happiness.

The Take 5 as a lower-cost substitute may or may not work for you. It’s not as similar to the P5 as peeps tend to think, but that might not matter if you’re not picky about certain things.

I once dreamed of a forever guitar. As my guitar collection started to grow, I found that I liked playing a Strat for Strat sounds, a Tele for Tele sounds, etc. instead of one guitar that could emulate others. I also decided I’m not really an acoustic guitarist, although I’ll bust out the cheap Breedlove nylon string when my fingers need a break from steel strings.

2 Likes

The Prophet 10 keyboard. The last synth you’ll ever need.

1 Like

I’d trade the Epiphone in for a Martin and be done with it.

5 Likes

I believe in fate and timing. Your asking this question just as one of the greatest synths is about to be re-released this April. I think you’ve exhausted all avenues. Time to treat yourself to the all new Buchla Music Easel. Well i am :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What about a lovely Spanish/classical guitar for playing on the couch? Something a bit different to what you have currently?Mellower than steel-string acoustics but also percussive and great for finger picking styles.

6 Likes

For me, my Seagull Entourage Rustic is my favourite guitar. Bought it off my part-time wage while working as a student. Had it about 15 years, will never part. Still sounds sweet as ever. Sweeter, even.

As for the synth, I’m thinking it’s the Virus B. I dunno, I could upgrade to a TI2, and maybe I will one day. But if I do it’ll only be because I have the spare cash and inclination to try it out - I’ve never run into any DSP limitations with the B. It sounds gorgeous and is fun to program.

2 Likes

I am never getting rid of my Prophet-5 Rev 3.2. It is my favorite analog polysynth - and that is saying something. I have (and have had) brasher, more flexible, and more feature-rich polysynths, but the P5 stands the test of time. Classy and classic.

Other instruments that will never go anywhere? Moog Model 10, Haken Continuum, and VCS3.

4 Likes

sweat no more, go big, do both in one go … not my advert

:wink:

5 Likes

First of all, congrats on the big 5 and 0! I think that definitely calls for something special! The Prophet 5/10 keyboard version would fit the bill but so would a nice Martin guitar. Can’t go wrong with either I think.

1 Like

yep. fits all three of these to a T. and you gotta get the keyboard version for sure. truly a synth I look at and think “you’re never going anywhere.”

2 Likes

I once had a Roland GR-303 guitar. Gave it away. One of the worst gear decisions I ever made. Even if I never connected it to to a vintage Roland guitar synth ever again, the neck and overall quality was just so good.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Honestly, if I didn’t already have digital covered, I might do that. Might still someday if one comes up near me.

Honestly, that may be where my heart is.

Nice one–congrats! I was looking at the Udo before I got my Summit, but it wasn’t released yet and I got impatient…

I know–and that’s my worry. I’ve settled in the past on other gear and regretted it. Still, people here do love the T5!

I’ve thought about that: if I’m gonna drop serious cash, why not go all in?

That may be the decision.

I do want a Buchla! But I may wait for more TipTop modules to come out and buy them with my work research budget.

Interesting–I haven’t played much nylon, but I should consider it.

So one thing I’m a little concerned about is whether the Rev 4 will actually be serviceable in 10 years, or if I almost wouldn’t be better off looking for a Rev 3 in decent shape, since maybe parts will be available on a classic synth for longer? Also have some concerns about current Sequential QA. Scot, you would know about this…

Thank you!!!

4 Likes

Presents from my girlfriend (she’s not too bad and a bit of a keeper) - Taylor Koa acoustic for 30th, really nice American Strat for 40th, OP-Z for 50th… (we borrowed a friend’s sea kayaks and went around the islands in Thailand bivvying on the beaches randomly, so the OP-Z was for sticking in the canoe and playing in the hammock on random islands that we stopped at to sleep on)
From what you’ve written - go for a guitar ! (I like the OP-Z but find the guitars to be more emotionally resonant and definitely feel like I will die with them in my arms, whereas the OP-Z will just die…). Maybe a smaller finger picker (the Martin OM is gorgeous - I built a Martin OM mahogany and love it - finished it with oil and wax but have played some other nice OMs and prefer them to the 000s…)

4 Likes

Forever young.

2 Likes

Living in a sand pit, life is a short trip…

1 Like

That’s a good question. I would have asked the same thing about a Rev 2 or 3 thirty years ago, though. All those then-newfangled oscillator and filter chips seemed a dangerous proposition compared to discrete components. It’s always a bit of a crap shoot.

I have little experience with the current Sequential gear. When the Prophet-08 came out, I got one in and accidentally dropped it from chest height onto a concrete floor. It dusted itself off, lifted an eyebrow in my direction and then performed like a pro.

3 Likes