Food and Drink and Electronic gear dont mix well together

A Korg synth of mine was not so lucky years ago…some unsteady joker (band member) with a pint of coke at a gig. It never recovered. A part from suplphuric acid it’s up there with the worst things you can poor onto electronics!. You were lucky with the Moog:-)

2 Likes

at home i have separate little folding table for all that stuff.

I keep my drinks in the next room and use an extensive network of super-straws

7 Likes

LOL. I’ll bring the beer!

1 Like

Hahaha, tears down my face at this exchange, the way it blew up suddenly just like a real fight, gentlemen I salute you!

7 Likes

ok not beer but once i was invided to play in a nightclub … thought it was a hip thing but it turned out to be a strip club (at least during evening) and because we were just starting, most of the strip club stuff were still around. So after we started after like 30 min a fight between one guy who looked like a pimp and a skinny dude started on the bar and basically the poor guy landed on my turntables, where i tried to push him back so he didnt totally crush the players. Still the needle was trash :smiley: luckily the only time i was confronted with something like that while playing :smiley:

3 Likes

I think the real battle should be between day mode and night mode loyalists :grin:

5 Likes

My Virus TI2 had candle wax all over it. I don’t know what trance god the previous owner was trying to summon, but I imagine some kind of incantation circle with the TI2 in the middle…

I managed to haggle the price down a lot thanks to it (he forgot to mention it in the ad and it didn’t show in the pictures). Turns out the wax dried before it could really do any damage. It remained very shiny in a few spots though.

1 Like

I spilled literally an entire pint of water into the key-bed of my Minilogue. It was late and I was reaching for something and didn’t see the glass.
Standing by the kitchen sink pouring the entire pint of water back out of the synth was a pretty surreal experience.

I let it dry out for a week or so but the key-bed was now much less responsive (but everything else still worked! :smiley: ).
I sent it back to Korg as it was still under warranty and got it replaced.

I still had all the original packaging (even the internal wrapping that it came with) so I think this played a big part in letting them know I do usually take better care of my synths lol

2 Likes

Broke one of those round IKEA spherical lamps over my DN, shattered on million small pieces, scratched badly the faceplate and some knobs and buttons, sent it to Sweden HQ for a repair which I got for free!

2 Likes

I spilled a small amount of black coffee on my CMstorm mechanical keyboard recently.
As there was no cream or sugar, clean up was a breeze.
HOWEVER…
I was horrified by the grime and particulate waste I found under the keys when I removed them to dry it off.
Overall, I’m glad I got in there to clean it out.
Happy Accidents are my thing lately…
I always like keep some canned air around. Should probably get a soft paintbrush for cleaning too…

1 Like

I had a tascam 424 killed by an entire 40oz of malt liquor spilling into it while on. I was able to fix the mixer section but it never recorded again.
Not exactly food, but kinda; someone once threw up over the edge of a loft right into my drum set. Cleaning that was awful. I took the whole kit apart down to nuts and bolts (after letting it dry), I even took the bearings in the double kick pedals apart and press fit them back together after cleaning inside. Awful. I’m just thankful I wasn’t sitting at it at the time.
I’ve had gear catch fire, get rained on while playing, a rat die inside of a speaker cab, a fire extinguisher sprayed into a couple of pieces, you name it, but food and drinks (and vomit) are the worst to deal with.

6 Likes

I have no idea what I was doing, but I just straight up poured beer all over my Op-Z while hosting an open mic night and caught it on camera. I posted it somewhere on elektronauts; I’ll try to find it.

I think I just forgot I was holding a beer and tried to do some button combo that was not a good idea with a beer in hand.

The Op-Z is fine. I just had to take it apart and wipe it out and lube one of the knobs.

found it:

boring jam warning.

2 Likes

I killed a wireless Apple keyboard with a glass of Chianti. Well, it was the headstock of a guitar that did it really…although I was operating said guitar at the time.

As an annoying aside the iMac in question won’t recognise any other Apple Bluetooth keyboard either. It’s as if it’s still looking for the original (ruined) keyboard.

Sounds like the electronic version of the phantom limb syndrome … :rofl:

4 Likes

I think it’s a known Apple bug. It’s infuriating tho! :see_no_evil:

Not music gear but I spilt a full glass of orange squash through the keys of my 48k ZX Spectrum+ as a kid.

Unplugged it and took it to a friend’s dad who worked in computers. He disassembled it, washed the PCB off in his sink (with washing up liquid), told us to let it dry and screw it back together. Fun fact he pointed out to us, Sinclair used to use half-good reject 16-bit chips because they were cheaper than fully functional 8-bit ones. You could see where they only wired half the processor to the PCB.

After that it lasted another five years or so, until I fried it by using a PSU with the wrong polarity (smoke came up between the keys).

1 Like

I can’t say I’ve spilt anything. I have a separate table for drinks…

Oh wait I did spill some coffee on my digital piano one time. That’s probably why I had to end up getting it repaired a couple months ago (though the coffee spill was like a year ago?)

When I was a teen a had opened up this EHX Big Muff Deluxe fuzz pedal from the 80’s and left it on my bedroom floor before I went to bed. While I was in bed I reached over to turn my stereo off and knocked a cup full of paint water into this pedal. Somehow it still works 10 years later!

1 Like

Ahahah I remember one of my first gig; completely drunken because we had to wait so long before our turn; I dropped a full pint of beer on my laptop! Aaaaah those good old days.