FM-ish examples

Thanks Simon those are excellent examples!
Looking forward to some instructions indeed, I’ve tried quite a lot of settings but having a hard time getting cleaner sounds like yours.

1 Like

Would love to see the recipes for these!!!

Would love to see more sound recipes in general, a lot more fun then uploading Sysex files…

really nice! love the “pads”

A small soundpack or some suggestions for how to set stuff up would be very welcome. It might also be an idea to add a small section to the manual on how to use this new feature effectively.

would also love to see “Cuckoo`s Analog Four FM Mega Tutorial” :slight_smile:

I guess its not that complicated in reality…but a few words of guidance would be helpful to get started with the FM.

Amazing! Really great sounds.
Like others have said, a short how these were made vid and patches sysex would be appreciated.

:slight_smile:

Well, FM IS complicated in its principle : if the ratio between the carrier and modulating signal is not kept constant, you don’t have the same sounds for each note.
This is what the last evolution brought : now you can craft a sound and play with it on the whole chromatic scale.

Finding the sweet spots requires some experiment and/or light maths, most of the time (well, except on some synths like OP-1 :heart: )
The idea is to look for simple ratios for clean sounds.

It’s really interesting to read some documentations on the subject as long as they don’t display formulas :dizzy_face:
Here is the place where I learned : take the time to read all of it !
Tao of FM synthesis

1 Like

Amazing!.

I would learn more about FM Synthesis :frowning:

I will most likely make a tutorial video for this via Elektron soon!
I’ll explain the fundamentals of FM synthesis as well.

FM is the best.
It’s the love of my life.

2 Likes

Referring more to the A4/AK implentation of FM rather than FM Synthesis as a whole. It is probably going to come down to experimentation with the parameters in the end, because the numerical values in the lfo speed (SPD) parameter for example don’t correlate with FM synthesis.

Yes, this is great, Simon!

Sound pack or video would be awesome and enlightening :slight_smile:

Referring more to the A4/AK implentation of FM rather than FM Synthesis as a whole. It is probably going to come down to experimentation with the parameters in the end, because the numerical values in the lfo speed (SPD) parameter for example don’t correlate with FM synthesis.[/quote]
Oops, my bad. Anyway, the link is still something interesting to read :wink:
Now on the A4 indeed, I think we’re left with experimenting.
As you can modulate both filter freq and osc freq at the same time, and much more, even the maths wouldn’t give much info I guess.
Now I saw on the Volca FM demos that there was separate envelopes on the carrier and the modulated oscillators… I haven’t tried this yet.

Yessss! Look forward to it!
:slight_smile:

vote for an FM sound pack here: Synthesis Exhausted?

<3 Sounds great! I’m gonna poke around too. Until now I’ve been a fan of page two of OSC 2, the AM stuff. Happy to see the list of possibilities grow!!

Hi everyone!

there is my FM sounds testing

and jam besed on FM sounds

I’m going to record an example how i make fm- bells, fm-hats etc

An FM sound pack would definitely be cool, so we can tinker and learn from it :slight_smile:

Simon and bionoid, these demos are fantastic !!

Thanks a lot for sharing

not sure how I got there, but after some random tweakings and assigning lfos and envelopes to different parameters i found a kind of fm-ish dark techno sound. All sounds made with A4

https://soundcloud.com/insect-o/fm-friday

https://soundcloud.com/insect-o/fm-friday