Flex machine can't keep changed pitch

when i try to change pitch on a flex machine sound, it quickly goes where i want, but immediately goes back to zero (standard pitch) after that. am I missing a setting?

also. how do i change what notes the trigs send when playing samples with the chromatic keyboard?

In chromatic mode you can move the octave of the trig keys up or down by pressing function+left or right.
Not sure why your pitch would revert to zero. Perhaps you have plocked the pitch to zero on the trigs?

what would that mean? started fresh project and just recorded straight after that. should I try to film it?

In grid recording mode find a step of the pattern that’s playing where the pitch is reverted. Hold down that trig with the playback page showing, does it show pitch as 0 with grey graphics? If so it is locked to 0 pitch.

If not maybe some more info or a video would help…

If you record/play notes using chromatic mode, it actually locks the pitch parameter to each recorded trig. The only way to tune it this way is by setting RATE to the non-timestretch option (so it re-pitches instead), but in this case it can only tune down, and it’s not very precise.
Chromatic mode is such a hack; I wish it had a way to pitch samples even two octaves up/down, the current limit is frustrating.

1 Like

To expand a little, the pitch parameter affects the default pitch of trigs placed on the sequencer but is overridden by parameter locks. When you live record in chromatic mode, the OT places trigs with pitch parameter locks on the sequencer. When you adjust the pitch value after live recording, you won’t hear a difference because the chromatic pitch locks are overriding the knob value…
If you simply enter trigs in grid recording mode without locks on pitch, the pitch parameter will affect these trigs…

1 Like

thanks both for great answers.

but so, is there technically a difference between adding or recording a “note” or is it just the machine making a difference.

i’m not sure i understood, they are being saved in different ways pitches in rec and pitches in grid?

have been hard studying OctaT for a month now. helluva machine, stubborn and fun. what’s the latest things you have found?

Sorry, sometimes trying to explain the OT can lead to more confusion :wink:…
The pitches aren’t being saved in different ways, pitches for certain trigs on the sequencer are saved as a parameter lock on pitch, the pitch is “locked” to that trig on whatever step its on.
When you live record in chromatic mode, the machine enters these “locks” on pitch for you.
The manual way without live recording is to put a trig on the sequencer, hold it down, and change the pitch knob value, you will see the pitch knob value become grey which means you locked it…
If a pitch is not locked, the pitch will be where the knob is set…
This is the same for all parameters, the knob sets the value for any trigs that don’t have locks on that parameter. Locks override where the knob is set…
There is no difference between live recording and entering trigs on the sequencer besides the fact that live recording enters parameter locks for you, instead of manually doing it as said above…
After a while this all makes sense a lot more, it’s just confusing at first and it becomes much easier once you get it…

My next experiments are going to involve custom lfo’s on pitch of audio loops, with values calculated to play a scale, and something to do with looping midi from the midi sequencer back into the OT, and using midi features to automate more stuff…

1 Like

awesome it all makes perfect sense now!

are you familiar with the pickup machines. i have been crying over the boss rc-50 looper, (because in short: it’s stupid). i haven’t quite understood how to make rec and play sync with any given bar. (beat 1, every bar). it’s like it goes with the master scale so if it’s 64 steps it takes up to four bars to enter play or overdub mode.

you know these machines?

ps: a really old recording of that looper setup

i’m fully understanding the OT is a machine to follow not to make do things you want, but will try to get close to this. (and i actually mean that in a good way!)

1 Like

hmm, I can’t watch the video at the moment, but have you checked out Cuckoo’s Octatrack looper tutorial? I had a Boss RC-20 for a few years and it looks like the OT would easily cover all of the features.

[quote=“nilsemil, post:7, topic:38420, full:true”]what’s the latest things you have found?
[/quote]
I’ve been taking on the OT one step at a time, but it’s found its way into most of my setups. My latest experiments have been with sampling/resampling; I spent three hours the other night sequencing my nord lead with it, and then sampling the sequence and chopping it up on the fly, with the track recorders constantly recording and rewriting the loop so any tweaks on the nord would be reflected in the chopped audio. It made me realise that I don’t really need my KP3+ anymore.
And then yesterday I played around with using a track recorder to grab a loop from the master track, then playing it back chopped up in another pattern, using LFO on the RATE parameter to get an effect similar to the pitch slides in Autechre’s track Stop Look Listen.
The OT is looking to be one of the most inspiring instruments I’ve ever purchased, along with the nord lead I bought recently (which is so good that I want to buy a nord rack 2/3/4 as well).

2 Likes

i couldnt get my pickup machines to sync with the internally sampled track. any guess on why?

sounds cool the things you described.

just a small one. the other day the LEDs for c and d blinked one after the other. what could that be?

thanks for great answers

oh, for me, things really started happening when i panned and cued tracks out on four different output jacks into my (allen&heath qu16) mixer and added filters and reverb there, thus getting more insert fx slots freed up.

plus pretty cool when occasional leaks from stereo (ab or cd) reverbs leaked into the “keep all bass” channels

How are you wanting to use the pickup machines? Would it work for you to have the OT sequencer running and then have the pickup record and playback quantized so when you hit record it starts at the next bar or so? Or are you trying to record the pickup first and then sync the sequencer to it? I have experience with the former…
The blinking recorder lights means you cued the inputs, cue+AB or CD will send those inputs directly to cue outputs, repeat button combo to uncue…

Didn’t read the whole thread but for Pickups, in Recording Setup 2, I use PLEN setting for QREC and QPLAY to keep in sync with project tempo.
I had RC50, RC300, RC505, so maybe I can help…

(A nice thing with Chromatic Mode is to hold FN in order to record Trigless Trigs : it modify the pitch without triggering sample again.)

Awesome, it seems im getting the hang of it!

May i ask one more thing, i couldnt sample the internal SRC3 in stereo, it seems it got to be only mono.
is that how its supposed to be?

Sezare, awesome, thats so good to know. Have you used midi foot pedals for the OT also?

Scr3 record things in stereo.
Pickups overdub doesn’t work if Ot is midi sync slave.

Yep. I have and tried a Roland Fc 200, it will be plugged in my future home studio. Now I usually experiment stuff with my Taktile 49 keyboard, that can send same midi messages.
I sold my Rc 505 to focus on Ot.
Sometimes I think I’d need a 2nd Octatrack as a dedicated looper. :content:

yeah two could prob be useful.

ok problem:

i want master track to run on 64 steps but i want to be able to start rec or play on each “bar” i.e 1 , 17, 33 or 49

that’s not possible right?

ok everything seems to fall in place now

just set the qrec qplay to 16 etc

well, that was simpler than expected.

2 Likes

So Sezare, maybe i should put this in a separate thread but still,

what have you learned with controlling the octatrack “as rc50” with floor pedals?

can i use a regular note keyboard or do they have to send cc?