Five 'desert island' albums

Mc cartney is brilliant on abbey road, not only because of his songwriting and putting together the medley on side b, but also or especially for his bass playing. His basslines shift come together, something, I want you and others as well to another level. It’s a pure joy listening to this album while only concentrating on the bass.
Lead guitars by harrison are also brilliant. Abbey road might no feature the best individual beatles songs but is has the nicest flow and synergy of the instruments of all their records imo

1 Like

Fully agree

1 Like

He sure does. His work on “The Downtown Lights” and “Headlights On The Parade” on Hats is incredibly emotive. Both albums are magical really and both genuinely do leave me with a sense of pride that they came out of Scotland.

3 Likes

Completely agree. I’m going to dedicate a full week to parsing through un familiar selections from lists that otherwise resonate with me.

2 Likes

Some time ago I asked for Spotifyplayllists of recommended music.
Feel free to ad songs to my shared playlist!!
I would be happy.

(I really love Kate tempest. But in this case she is only a placeholder as one cannot share empty lists)

1 Like

Ok let me try :slight_smile:

Younger Brother - Vaccine
New Model Army - Thunder and Consolation
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
Senser - Stacked Up
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

1 Like

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Love that album

1 Like

Decided to take a punt on So. Obviously knew Sledgehammer (a classic!) but the rest of the album was a mystery to me.

Two listens in and I nearly gave up on it but it’s now been the only record I’ve played in the car for the past week or so. Really enjoying this one and glad I gave it a chance.

2 Likes

Good stuff - it’s well worth watching the BBC documentary on this in the Classic Albums series - it was an album of obsession and Lanois’ insights into Gabriel are fascinating - they actually locked him in a studio room at one point to force him to do something iirc, rather than procrastinate options and so on

Gabriel’s worked with and was passionate about many great artists - coincidentally a huge fan of ‘A walk across the rooftops’ too

I can still recall with crystal clarity the day I took the vinyl home on the bus from HMV Renfield St, scanning all the track credits for who was using what instrument, I love albums with that level of detail

This is one of my favourite tracks, esp percussives, sorta defined the blueprint of what I find loveliest about drum sounds …

edit: @J0n35y a little snippet of the doc using the same track coincidentally

2 Likes

I’ll check all that out. Love the small details about the instruments too.

This morning was an ear opener too. Was diving my kids to my parents and they started arguing (again). So I drowned them out by ramming the volume up (great parenting). But in doing so, I started to notice loads of production “flourishes” you just doing hear in a car stereo. So definitely putting “So” on the hi-fi this weekend to listen through.

1 Like

In case anyone else is discovering Peter Gabriel’s 80’s output, definitely worth checking out “Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ” as it has many of the same qualities as “So” (and more besides – the track credits are immense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passion_(Peter_Gabriel_album)).

3 Likes

yeah - a far more interesting album imho more textural, still very high on production values but more innovative like his earlier work whilst being relentlessly catchy and engaging

off the top of my head…

1 Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup
2 Air - The Virgin Suicides Soundtrack
3 John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays the Blues
4 JDilla - 3 Beat Tapes
5. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

2 Likes

Tough one this, I have exactly the same problem with people on facebook sending me nominations to do my top 10 of all time requests, a nice problem to have!

1. Joy Division - Substance
  2. LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression
  3. Sasha & John Digweed - Northern Exposure
  4. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
  5. Trentemøller - The Last Resort

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

re my lengthy cop-out post above, I decided the best way is to avoid having to chose my 5 favourites, I simply can’t do it … so, I have made it easier by electing to chose five albums (indeed five artists) from my shortlist which are not mentioned above - each fitting enough to be in the top five, but there are too many seminal albums/artists for me to narrow it down …

so five is actually six even after restricting the selection to albums/artists not mentioned above, it’s six or it’d be nothing, sorry - I couldn’t make the call between Suburbs and Soul Mining for the 5th spot

Anyway, in chronological/exposure order ( Wilco : Sky Blue Sky is the only one requiring a name/title and I’ve already mentioned The Suburbs) … 6 massive albums for me in different ways, all perfect from the opening moment to the last

2 Likes

didn’t know that - sounds amazing, whereas the older stuff is clearly lo-fi - he’s basically channeling and easing my darkest thoughts - I need him, life without Bill would be so different; glad that he’s started a family though, so we’ll see if he still has his darker leaning and drive in due course … I hope so, it’s been a few years

and any track that’s mentioned or drops in High Fidelity must worth checking out, along with Edinburgh’s finest

Sweet Treat probably shades it over River Guard for me along with the ‘singles’ from the album

2 Likes

Marcia Blaine’s School For Girls - Halfway Into The Woods
El-P - Fantastic Damage
FSOL - Dead Cities
Vladislav Delay - Whistleblower
Rumpistol - Dynamo

Interesting lists, I was just wondering that I didnt read anything from classical or modern composers. Doesnt anybody listen to them, or are they ruled out?

Well here are my five cents:

The The - Soul Mining
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Refused - The Shape of Punk to come
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Dmitri Shostakovich - The Complete Symphonies

and if you think the last one is like cheating, Ill take Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity instead. Ill miss you, James Brown …

3 Likes

yeah, box set is a bit of a cheat. re: Gas, I could choose Narkopop and still be satisfied. I imagine some might find it dull, but it’s been on heavy rotation lately

as for Autechre, that’s a touch choice. Instead of the EPs box, i’d probably choose Draft 7.3 (gahhh)

1 Like

Nice to see some the the love on here, a huge influence!

1 Like