Five 'desert island' albums

While many merzbow and jandek releases are in my cd collection, I just couldn’t see getting stuck listening to only that for an extended stay on an island.

1 Like

Right! Geez! That would be a scary man to get stuck on an island with! I’d be immediately focusing on building defensive measures, because that person is fixing to kill me for food…

1 Like

On hindsight I’d also have to have a Waits album in there. I’d go with Frank’s Wild Years probably

2 Likes

I was torn between Bill Evans and Coltrane’s Vanguard recordings, I went with Coltrane but could just as easily went with BE. Scott LaFaro just kills it on those sets.

2 Likes

afx - analord (all of em)
stars of the lid - and the refinement of their decline.
sonic youth - nurse.
aphex - drugkqzsss.
squarepusher - all his old singles (big loada, venus 17, Port rhombus, vic acid, carwreck remix, scratch yer head remix etc).

man that carwreck remix still blows my mind.

3 Likes

Oh man! Excellent choice! Such a beautiful album!

6 Likes

Idk, I think geogaddi nails what that LP is about, reoccurring patterns in nature and how man fits in with them. As they say the devil is in the details…

1 Like

If this Bootleg 6 ever gets old I think I would slide Coltrane Vanguard in its place. For now, 6 gets the nod solely based on how much of the genre it offers (in addition to the overheated crowd).

Yes tho LeFaro is unprecedented there. I go back to it often for advice.

as a bass player, Scott LaFaro is my go-to for inspiration. I cannot play like that. Holy buckets. It’ll be a few more years of studying the transcriptions I have for that cd-set before I’m even close.

I think these albums would keep me from getting bored on a desert island…

Beatles - Revolver
Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku
Scientist & Prince Jammy - Strike Back!
Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
Madvillain - Madvillainy

4 Likes

El-P: Fantastic Damage
B.O.L.T. Warhead: The Reenforcement
Caribou: Swim
Rubberoom: Architechnology
Miles Davis: Get up with it

2 Likes

Fantastic Damage by El-P is an incredible album. That track with Vast Aire from Cann Ox is a monster !!!

You’re literally the first person I’ve ever met on the net that knows RUBBEROOM. I got the Architechnology LP on vinyl as well and i was stoked when i heard it for the first time back in then. The song called “Acid” still gives me shivers. Great Album and great taste dude!!!

Don’t know, you might know them already but they were pretty underground and i came across them at the same time i discovered Rubberoom. Check out the album “SunnmoonSekt” by “Tha Slumplordz”. I think you might like it.

1 Like

almost included “madvillainy” on my list. and Del the Funky Homosapien “Both Sides of the Brain.”

2 Likes

Whoa! “Both Sides Of The Brain” > “I Wish My Brother George Was Here”?!

1 Like

It was incredibly hard to do only five albums. It basically boiled down to what I listen to the most over an extended period of time. I couldn’t even narrow down any hip-hop releases to include to many good ones to choose from.

1 Like

Fan Dam is my eternal favourite, I was/am a big Co Flow fan, but could not have been prepared for the Def Jux kick-off. And yeah man, Rubberoom i suppose was one of those things - could have been a well known period classic, but seems to be forgotten. Ive seen one vinyl copy in my life and its the one i have! I will check out tha slumplordz, its an unknown to me. I recommend you warhead - Norwegian 1991 to rival the best of britcore!

This was tough but I reckon I might take these and be quite happy:

1. Neu! 75 - Neu
  2. Endtroducing - DJ Shadow
  3. California - Mr Bungle
  4. Heaven or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
  5. Bladerunner - Vangelis

:ocean: :parasol_on_ground: :palm_tree:

3 Likes

In no particular order and this can change daily :slight_smile:

• Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis
  • Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
  • Simeon Ten Holt - Canto Ostinato
  • Autechre - Confield
  • Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
6 Likes

yes, definitely. if i hear “mr dobalina” one more time i’ll flip over sideways.

it’s not a great track and for some reason Del plays it EVERY FRIGGIN show.

that was, like, '92! he’s had so many better tracks since then.

and don’t prank me with an embedded link! i’ll be wary of any links going forward. =)

2 Likes

Oh wow! I’m listening to “If You Must” after so long. I remember playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 with my brother- PS1- and loving this song.

Ah…memories…

It’s great! Give it another listen!

www.google.com

1 Like