Five 12 Vector Sequencer

I mean, do you not have any midi instruments?

sure. 3 elektrons, a mother32 and a op1. and of course tons of midi instruments on my laptop.
the elektrons have their own sequencer though. But Iā€˜m still dreaming of a central sequencer.
asking myself if the vector might be great with a multitimbral synth and a drumsampler e.g. or even as sequencer for vsts or ipad synths.
I donā€˜t want to build a eurorack again, thatā€˜s big enough to make the vector and its expander worth it. lots of money :upside_down_face:
but i loved numerology and this is basicall the hardware version

but it could also be cool with two semimodulars and something like the alm squid salmpleā€¦

1 Like

I think it makes a lot of sense Unifono. Iā€™ve been looking at it for that.

Playing hypothetical here. Put the Five 12 Vector or another Eurorack locked sequencer (a Westlicht Performer?) in a powered skiff by itself or maybe with one other thing that might logically go with it (a Befaco VCMC?) run these together through some sort of midi processor (a Blokas Midihub) and then put that with a sequencerless synth (the Hydrasynth in my case which has both midi and CV input/output). Iā€™ve also got other sequencerless synths (DFAM, Neutron) that could play with this.

I really like the Five 12 Vectorā€™s interface layout and the way it handles random and generative midi.

(OK the DFAM has a sequencer of sorts ā€“ eight steps that can run into the stratosphere in tempo rate ā€“ fun to run this out to other things too.)

1 Like

yeah me too. pretty genius.
It might be even cool vsts on my laptop.
I realize that the part I donā€™t like so much when working on my laptop is not necessarily the sound generation but the composingā€¦ hence a ā€˜sequencingā€™ outside the laptop but having the sounds all in the laptop could be nice.
push, launchpad etc didnā€™t really convince me. This sequencer looks special thoughā€¦
I was asking me the same thing regarding the cirklon, since people say itā€™s only worth it if you own a lot of midi hardware. But how about midi software?

you could put them in the moog or behringer 3 tier and fill the third row with the vector and add some little helper :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The sky is the limit ! If you pick good separate parts (like the Five 12 Vector) the result is a multiple of that when you put those pieces together.

2 Likes

This!!!
I figured out how to use ARP on OT and that pushed the purchase of Rene for some time for meā€¦

2 Likes

This is a very cool Sequencer. I like that you see each note for every Step.

You are using it with a TRS to MIDI Adapter?

Itā€™s straight DIN MIDI.

1 Like

Where is it?

http://www.five12.com/

1 Like

Hehā€¦ They sell an expander for the sequencer, complete with DIN MIDI out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After hemming and hawing for over a year (but after over 4 years of using Five12ā€™s Numerology VST), I finally got a Vector. There are a couple of small rough edges left but itā€™s incredibly powerful and is definitely my favorite sequencer out of the ones Iā€™ve tried (RS7000, Octatrack, Pyramid, Metropolis, Erica Black for a couple weeks, and Cirklon for a week).

Iā€™m using it with an Expert Sleepers FH-2 + FHX expander (MIDI/CV interface module) and just driving everything with MIDI: four Euro voices, Digitone, and Peak. I use one track as a master modulation source over other tracks, where the master trackā€™s pitch and subsequencer2 are sent out the pitch and velocity analog outputs and patched into Mod1 and Mod2.

Between that and the 2 subsequencers + chance operations per track, thereā€™s more than enough intertrack modulation here to build more intricate sequences from simple elements.

The Launchpad integration is also great and totally worth it (IMO) for the price of a Mini Mk3. Itā€™s great to have the overview of parts, presets, scenes, mutes, etc. available on a grid to complement the more focused encoder-based editing on the module.

Strong recommend!

I still use my Octatrackā€™s MIDI sequencer to p-lock MIDI CC messages (which get converted to CV through the FH2), by the way. They work well together and have complementary interfaces. (Elektron is way better for setting multiple parameters per step.)

5 Likes

Omg, Iā€™ve had most hardware sequencers and mod sequencers and for some reason never really looked into the Vector but I just read the manual and watched a lot of videos and ordered a lightly used one.

I have rarely seen so much functionality built into a sequencer. It literally does most everything I can imagine wanting a mod sequencer to do. Then I read it added arps and unquantised recording and that was the last straw.

So excited to try it out.

3 Likes