Five 12 Vector Sequencer

Why the hell is nobody mentioning this great sequencer https://youtu.be/Xj89AJPs-iA
I am using his software sequencer Numerology for years again and again and think that the idea of a standalone sequencer for something about 700 bucks is great.
James, the developer and his work needs more love and attention :slight_smile:
Is anyone here with experiences with the hardware vector sequencer?
I would love to hear some real world info about it.
Espacially as a new version 1.4 was released.
http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=3775

4 Likes

had the pleasure to test it in a music store nearby and it is extremly intuitive and fast for composing and variations.
there’s also some really great videos out there:

price tag is, as with all contemporary sequencers, kind of nuts though (esp. for its expander-module that is necessary for more I/O options), but it’s definitely a strong competitor for the Cirklon imo.

5 Likes

I used it when all I had was a low end Mac laptop. Neglected it after I started buying hardware workstations and synths.

James is a class dude.

1 Like

Wow totally missed this. Not looked into it fully but based on the Numerology linage I’m very interested. I think I’ve saw this before but never connected it in my mind with Numerology.

2 Likes

Been pondering getting this for my eurorack for quite some time. For now I’ve been using my OT for sequencing the rack, which doesn’t exactly suck :slight_smile:

Kinda torn between the Vector and Frap Tools USTA at the moment. I also have a Qu-Bit Bloom in my rack, when is a super fun module

I’ve been considering this guy for a good while too; but I’ve recently gotten the Westlicht performer which covers a lot of the same ground (and was way cheaper due to getting lucky with eBay)

I’ve never used the software version, but I love the layout of the module and the midi implementation seems great. I’d want the expander which adds more to what is already a substantial price tho and it’s a lot of hp , so maybe I’m better off just sticking with the performer…

1 Like

Yeah, I think whilst some things are similar to numerology- it’s quite different.
James told me at last (?) superbooth that he was considering some kind of ‘hook up’ between this and numerology - I think ability for numerology to load vector projects iirc
But not there yet - but it’s only him, so has his plate full and many ideas :wink:

I did consider too, but a lot of hp and I think you really need the expander ( which is another $300?) - so gets pretty $

But for sure a unique sequencer … and James is extending continuously, so it’s still on my radar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool sequencer. I have been watching it for a while. May have to grab one eventually.

Btw PeakaeMusic uses one, and has a video on it

1 Like

I will copy/paste what i wrote in another topic:

I am very satisfied with the vector sequencer.

The main reason I bought it is for the random possibilities. You can really have a complex pattern just with 8 steps.

One trick I love to do, for exemple, is to add randoms jumps inside the pattern, it allows to make generative melodies pretty easly.

There is also subs sequences that can modify you main sequence. They can transpose, change the direction of the main sequence and other stuff.

It is also playable in live. I think it is obvious on the NAMM video.

There are still things that need to be improved. The impossibility of recording notes played in live, there is juste a step by step mode. Maybe it will change with the support of the launchpad.

Also you can controle 3 midi CC in a pattern but no other CV apart from pitch, gate and velocity.

In the end, I highly recommand it!

2 Likes

I’ve been praying for years of a windows version of numerology

2 Likes

Westlicht performer is excellent - plus open source. I modded it with relative ease to add more random modes (see thread on muffs).

2 Likes

I do not like it ! At all ! Because it has put Numerology developpement to a dead stop ! Jim has only two arms unfortunately ! Die vector seq, die !
Humourous post, flag responsibly. :wink:

4 Likes

The Performer is also compatible with most
Launchpads too, which apparently adds all sorts of new deeper ways of controlling the sequencer. I have push/ableton live and other controllers but I may get the new launch pad just for this feature. I’m becoming more and more gassed at the capability of it, it’s almost the same as the five12 vector in most respects.

I may look at numerology software and see how I gel with it, and if i ever end up having the money for five12+add on then I’ll buy it.

1 Like

Ah wow that’s great, I’ll find the thread. I’m new to it and have been studying the existing manual but would love to chat to get some tips and tricks, and also try out alt firmware and so on if that’s an option?

I recently plumped for Vector (after Hermod and Nerdseq) and love its interface, generative and chance features, ease of use, everything about it.

5 Likes

The fact that it has 2 midi out ports is pretty amazing – I am using mine as a sequencer for both modular and MIDI gear, and that’s super fun (especially nice to use the mod inputs for the MIDI tracks, and you can get 3 lanes of MIDI CC as well). If you’re into DIY you can make an mBrane (mini mutable Yarns) for fairly cheap and have a fairly flexible MIDI->CV/Gate expander instead of purchasing the official one.

3 Likes

got the vector on my setup, I’m having fun with it reminds me like a cirklon little brother jejejeje. I recommend

3 Likes
6 Likes

how much sense would the vector seq make in a midi environment outside of eurorack context ? it seems to have several midi outputs including midi over usb.