First things to do with the Octatrack 2023

Power up.

2 Likes

And the best advice i can give ever… Fresh out of the box, one size fits all.
Super flexible, lasting and fun for the whole family.

:partying_face:

1 Like

your initial plan sounds very good. You will love how easy it is to assign samples.

But also try to understand as one of the first things how the project and files structure works. It will help you so much. It’s different form every other elektron machine , but it makes a lot of sense.

Second important thing: Please don’t try to learn everything the OT can do. Because it can do A LOT of things and you might get lost if you try to learn everything it can do.

2 Likes
  1. FORGET WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW

2. Have fun

It took me a week or 2 to unlearn expectations i had formed from being familiar with other Elektron devices.

2 Likes

Sorry for of topic, btw there are similar ones to search…

I just want 1 MKII, will probably sell my MKI too.
Fun fact : I received a new MKII 3 days ago. Realized 1 knob was faulty, VERY hard to turn at a specific position. Return for repair or definitive ? I was sad, thinking I may keep MKI, or just use Digitakt ! :scream:
The day after, in the morning, I had an OT MKII snd hand sail warning : a black one, not too far, decent price ! (I saw another one more expensive than new !)
Deal done; 500€ saved !

Good memory ! The mouse eaten one was replaced by a different knob, and the others are on my DT, who’s not happy !
(The headphones knob is normal. See how I sanded knobs pushing them all the time ! Apparently not needed with MKIIs ! :+1:)

Have to, tomorrow. Too tired for 3, I had to drive a bit for my MKII quest ! Will try my new baby, second hand but in a better condition that the new one !
Return after OTRIO mission…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Pretty happy with what I learned in one day. I pretty much wanted to see if I can replace the Digitakt with the OT (which I am not sure of yet), but it looks promising. Now I can use the OT pretty much as quickly as the DT, except the UI is less visual (filters etc.)

I made this small dark ambient beat jam thing as a test to see if this device was what I was looking for (stereo sampling + all the other goodness) and yes I couldn’t do this on the Digitakt so I am happy.

Learning to set up record trigs, thru tracks, sampling my Syntakt in and making a loop out of a synth was definitely one of the highlights of yestreday too, so much possibilities that I couldn’t do with only a digitakt. Thanks for everyone recommending practicing live sampling asap.

5 Likes

A simple but very efficient trick, that suits dark ambient : record MAIN, pitch it up, add reverb, and you get complex textures in a minute. This imply (delayed) feedback, so it is better to lower the pitched track before.

With a new project or similar settings, 1 bar loop :

T7 Lower Level
Disable Timestretch
T7 recorder, a trig on step 1, SRC3 = MAIN, RLEN=16
T7 FLEX, Recording 07 slot, a 2 trigs on step 1 and 9, pitch +12, add reverb, long decay, HP to mid position (MIX mode for full wet)
T7 Level : increase to taste

(The recording is played after a pattern loop. If you want you can use more rec trigs and Flex trigs, the have to correspond)

1 Like

Recording MAIN with a pickup track can be very fun for feedback tricks, but just remember to apply a little low cut on that track with the filter base, otherwise sub frequencies build up and distort everything.

4 Likes

I remember you saying you could not imagine what to do with 2 OT. I am glad you’ve found a solution with this “Three-Body Problem” loophole :robot:

1 Like

@Shredrr, FTFY ! No crossfader though…

4 Likes

I really want to hear what you can do with 3 Octatracks!

Worse with 3 ! Not inspired. Headache since I woke up. Just for the recording…

Done. Just played the demo !
Had to return a MKII, so I guess I’ll never do anything interesting with 3 OTs…

4 Likes

phahaha. And in black as well. uuuuh! I thought more of stacking those huge LEGO’s to allow cables to pass below machines. Since i discovered how durable the blocs are I did not buy any new frame for my gear. And they hang out well between the machines when they have to travel, kinda bufferzone because they also fit on top of Octatrack encoders.

2 Likes

I think I’d be overloaded with 3. I’ve given some though to the idea is 2, which I think could be amazing, but I might already have some cognitive overload like that!

1 Like

Don’t read the manual, in fact don’t open it at all.
If you have other Elektron machines forget everything you know except the sequencer.
Try to immediately understand the structure of SETs, Projects and Parts.
Clear all presets and load your own samples or quick sample anything you want.
Understand these first things, have fun and an infinite world will open up to you.

p.s. At first you will hate it, but after that I guarantee you will never be able to do without it. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Been with my life recently.
I need to forget. But 3 OTs doesn’t help. After trying my (first) OT MKII, I even thought about keeping Digitakt instead of Octatrack ! :rofl:

4 Likes
  1. Watch tutorials online
  2. Read manual
  3. Create beats and load samples
  4. Sample your voice and make beats
  5. Have fun!

it is the most challenging of the Elektron boxes to master but Rytm can get quite deep as well now.

1 Like

If you have any MIDI controllers lying around I definitely recommend plugging them into the OT and setting them up to control things like track levels, recorders, filters, or for chromatic or slice triggering on a particular track.

The MIDI implementation for the OT is pretty comprehensive and really allows you add a lot more immediate hands on controls. I think I have at least 5 different devices routed into mine via a Midihub.

2 Likes