First elektron machine in 2019

Hello people.
I know that some topics like this around the forum already exist, but it’s 2019 already and I am under the decision of buying of the first machine for patient learning step by step and maybe then will explore to next one elektron hardware gear.

My goal is to get a fun, to learn new stuff and of course to create some electronic music.
Everything what I have is my laptop, PO-33, Korg NanoKey 2 and couple of musical instruments as acoustic guitar, couple of jew harps and ukulele.

Here is my first steps in music creation.

I am really new to laptopless streams but I want to try it.
How do you think what is the best to start with?

Digitakt is a great balance of features, ease of use, and fun. Can’t go wrong with this one.

6 Likes

I’m not wise in this matter yet, but from those few tunes on SoundCloud and a few months research, my thoughts came straight to Digitakt too

2 Likes

Difficult to reply without budget and what do you know already and what you would like to be able to make. Beat Making and Drum Design, Synth Sound Design, Sampling, Looper, all in one contender … :stuck_out_tongue: so many options …

Do you want a simple device ? or are you ready to fulfill a certain learning curve ?

1 Like

I think that the max budget for now is the price of new OT MK2. But is it not too hard to begin with it?
I really like to play with synth abilities, samples and play all this in some pattern chains, but my experience is too weak to answer what I really want now.
This is new world for me, but I am filling huge interest in all this stuff.
I have one simple device as PO-33 =))) so want something more for now.

1 Like

digitakt.
it’s great.

leave OT for later imo.

3 Likes

It 's easy to use the OT2 the way you will use a digitakt. Then, there is so much more to it… I’d go for the OT ( although i have both and love them both )

1 Like

My buddy’s first Elektron was an Octatrack, he said learning it wasn’t so bad, and I can see it too. But that really depends where you’re at in life. Having a good general knowledge of synthesis/sound design always helps because you’ll be interacting with filters and FX and such. To me the hardest part of the OT is literally recording sounds into it. If you load up some samples from your computer then you’ll be cruising pretty quickly–relatively speaking.

If your experience is too weak to answer what you really want right now, then why do you need anything at all? I don’t mean that rudely, it’s a sincere question I’d ask myself.

If all you have is a PO33 and you want to explore the world of synthesis, the Octatrack is not for you. If you want to load up samples, and play with them, the Octatrack COULD be for you, but the Digitakt might suffice. If you want to make melodies/chord progressions, neither of those are for you and I would check out the Analog Four…Or maybe any decent poly synth, really.

What makes you want an Elektron in particular?

3 Likes

This, if your only gear is a pocket operator octatrack will likely put you off, it’s not that it’s so hard to learn, it’s just the deep end feature wise. Get a digitakt and get your head round the basics first. Good luck

3 Likes

First I would suggest to decide, whether you would like to go more sample based or synth based.

If you play the instruments on your list well, I would recommed, get yourself a nice mic, if you not have already, and go with the OT.

The learning curve of the OT isn’t as steep, as some think it is. If you don’t shy away to read the manual, you will have much fun. Just identify, which of the features is the most interesting and start from there … feature by feature.

The OT can be used as a drum machine, a sample mangling device, but also as a recorder and looper. Each of the eight audio tracks can be used differently. Each audio track has two FX slots, which can be many different things: filter, EQ, delay, reverb. You may have some tracks dedicated to be your electronic drum machine, some to have melodic content, some to have audio-FX, you name it. With it’s four inputs and outputs a wide range of applications is possible.

BTW the OT was my first Elektron instrument … I never regretted it … and I never missed that the OT does not support Overbridge :wink:

Where the OT is more of a Jack-of-many-trades (not all, but many) the Digitakt seems more dedicated for rhythmic stuff and with less audio-mangling capabilities. Just compare the specs.

For me, all roads lead to the OT, but I started on the Digitakt and am kinda glad I did. Bought my Digitakt new and sold it for $20-$30 less than I paid for it, months later. Solid value, that box. These days I have an OTmkii and an A4mkii. Very happy

2 Likes

Digitakt if you want a one-shot sampler. (eg for drums or sample based rhythms).

Digitone or Analog 4 (Mk1 used should cost the same as a digitakt or digitone new) if you want to mess about with synthesis! Digitone is an FM synth (like eg Native Instruments FM8) whereas the Analog 4 is an analog subtractive synth.

I own the Digitakt and the Analog 4 (and an Octatrack Mk2). Love them all three. Digitakt is easiest and most immediate, I use it as drummachine. Analog 4 is phenomenally flexible, it’s 4 mono synths in one or a 4-voice polysynth and in combination with the sequencer it’s a really great synth & groovebox. The Octatrack is a one-of-a-kind sampler / sample mangler / looper / effects box, nothing else out there like it. It is complex but not complicated one you understand its internal logic. however its use cases are so flexible that it can be difficult to decide how/for what to use it. So unless you are certain you want to work with samples and bring the time and discipline to learn the Octatrack from the get go, I’d also recommend you one of the other three to start with.

If you bought an Octatrack you might not need another piece of gear for a really long time. Maybe ever.

3 Likes

As you have a computer I would go Digitakt + Digitone : You will have synth abilities and samples for roughly the price of the OT. Overbridge or Not, but to me it’s a nice option to get when dealing next with track construction (and especially if you not have a sync box, multi-input sound card etc…) You will have midi sequencing for other device as well as sampling it. You will be able to Layering easily - Resample etc…

And learn every concept before to (eventually) want to save bucks for bigger box. The problem with all the other is when you know what you’re doing you will want OT + AR + A4 because it just make sense like that (if you keep yourself in the elektron ecosystem which make sense too for a lot of reasons)

4 Likes

Don’t forget to start with Syntorial :

2 Likes

This is VERY true …

just as in my case … after getting my head around the OT, I followed exactly this chain. AR to free OT tracks from beeing the major drum tracks and to have those great analogue sounds too, AK to get the melodic stuff … well and DN last but not least to have this exciting FM machine :wink:

1 Like

Even more when you add the Digitone you get back that sinewave for a sub-osc, Analog Heat comes handy for all sort of routing, or just Process the Analog Four to the other box so it gets mixed better… When you start to think things like that - I guess you bought everything or closely than everything :crazy_face: :cold_face:

AK is way better for further programming playability… Love it

1 Like

Indeed, I’m considering to get the AH since it came out … seems to me … it’s time to bite the bullet :wink:

1 Like

In the beginning I wanted to get OP-1 to inspire me, but the price looks not very nice now. And for this money I can get much more I think. Then I started to google like OP-1 vs anything and found this forum. Also I tried online version of digitakt and it looks like I enjoyed playing with mute states and patterns also. And now I am here to ask you an advice ))

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing it!

1 Like