First analog synth A4 (beginner)

Hello ive got my first Analog synth A4 . I need some begginer tips (any videos would be great) ofc im reading manual 2 but im making techno / industrial techno and i need some lessons for sound desgin for that . Link any videos if u can please.
My setup is : Maschine mk3 , analog four and octatrack . Main mixer is octatrack

Check youtube, there’s a lot of great tutorials there.

1 Like

To learn a little bit about the A4 :

4 Likes

Just type “cuckoo Analog Four” into YouTube.

3 Likes

It’s a deep synth and definitely not the most instantly rewarding so try not to be discouraged if it takes a little time before you get sounds as exciting as what you’ve heard on records but if you stick at it, it can make some truly out of this world stuff…

I recommend just following a bunch of tutorials on the A4 and subtractive synthesis in general via Youtube and once you’ve got a decent grasp of the unit and form of synthesis, try and just let your curiosity / imagination guide you in your experimentation. I try and start each new patch with a really out the box idea and try and coax it into something that sounds good and over time, I really gain appreciation for how well thought out a synth the A4 is with all it’s features and interesting ways to combine them.

2 Likes

When I first got my A4 I bought the Mac Pro Video A4 tutorial. That was incredibly helpful for me. It is such a well done tutorial.

1 Like

All these A4 threads are really making my GAS throb…

2 Likes

You’re telling me… It’s funny how after a decade of ”the init sound is just bad, innit?” (whereas the Digitone has been that sexy Youtube/Instagram synth since its release, and yeah I know they’re not comparable) the A4 is gaining momentum! Or so it seems judging by recent posts in this thread and a couple of others. :grinning:

Like you, I had the mk1 not that long ago but I only sold it to fund a Perfourmer (which is currently sitting in its box). Not in a hurry to get the A4 back but I’m pretty sure it’s my next purchase.

4 Likes

As for beginner tips on A4 sound design, this thread and video probably fits the bill.

6 Likes

…first lesseon…make sure u got the latest os running and download all free sound pax from the website…especially all the drum and percussive stuff…

the very best starting point for whatever u wanna discover sonically…

in particular, that pac created by skinnerbox is something that will suit all UR personal gusto needs… :wink:

enjoy ur analog journey…

1 Like

just to add onto this…learn the sound pool to spice up your perc/drum tracks. also use clever FX sends to make hihats sound fuller and not eat up a whole track for 16th notes.

This is what I used to get started with the a4

Once you do a couple patches you’ll get an understanding of how things work

Edit: removed link because it looked suspect

1 Like

i cant download link is bad :frowning:

Link is working fine. The point(problem) is that you must disable your adblockers.

1 Like

Above link is a spammy pirate link, use this instead: https://www.synthesizer-cookbook.com

2 Likes

I didn’t even try the link.

Just Google “welsh synth cookbook pdf” and you should be able to find it

1 Like