Finding the SEM-poly of my dreams. What alternatives are there out there?

Great article, thanks!

I suppose a good enough mod matrix with just about any poly would be able to emulate “vintage” or irrational behaviour/the vintage knob.

However, what synths are missing? Bring em on! Must be others that have the/a MMF?!

Hydrasynth? That has a state-variable filter I believe.

I’m suprised the Modal Cobalt8 doesn’t actually, thought that would have been included.

Also, someone mentioned the Sequential Pro2 - it is sort of mono, but does do 4-voices of paraphony through a shared filter. Depends how polyphonic you need.

OB6 is the one though, unless something new pops up this week.

Thanks, was thinking of hydra before but forgot to look into it. Also the msb synth pro might be a contender come to think of it. I know the Ambika also have a SEM-ish filter as an option but can’t really find any info about it and how it works (I get the feeling it’s just two serial hp/bp/lp filters).

Yea, if the cobalt had one I’d buy it instantly but having limited space it wouldn’t make sense getting one, which is a shame because it seems like a great synth :frowning:

I’m really looking for a poly with 6-8+ voices, although the SEM-filter could very well work/sound great for a paraphonic synth.

Wish someone made a poly like peak/summit with filter cartridges, like the SE Omega/code. With a good mod matrix I think it’d be all I need in terms of polys (famous last words). Was thinking of buying a code 8 second hand but the price is still way out there, and it’s racked. AND I believe each filter cartridge/set of cartridges is around 1000€ :cold_face:

Edit: the MFB Synth Pro isn’t a SVF sadly, but I found out the PolyBrute sports a Steiner-Parker filter where you can morph between lp/bp/hp but having quickly researched sounds on YT I was once again let down :(. Perhaps it was the demos but it didn’t seem to do that ASMRish ear-tickling cotton-filtering.

1 Like

I can recommend the ob6
The filter was one of the reasons i’ve looked at that synht.
Was very hesitating to buy it.
Price vs specs
But that sound, the interface
The first time I heard it blew my mind and there was no hesitating anymore so I bought it.
And in combination with my Dt or Dn or MnM
I can link any of the cc parameters of the ob6 to those LFOs and it works great :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This sounds amazing. Very much like a hardware synth. It’s cpu intensive but worth it. Was a bargain in the BF sales.

1 Like

Watch till the end…

5 Likes

This isn’t helpful. I’m trying not to gas here. I am trying to forget. What am I doing now you ask? Oh just checking for SEMs for sale. Thank you kindly sir

2 Likes

If you haven’t yet, check out an OB-6. I’ve had mine for years and still love it. They basically dropped in the SEM oscillators and filters and made it polyphonic.

I was just going to post this video here. Looks like no one else had watched to the end yet!
Maybe it needs a thread of it’s own?

5 Likes

:cool:

Incredible plot twist :fire:

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

Wait, they’re doing both this and ob8? Still, hardware guyzzzzzss

Tom Oberheim site updated: https://www.tomoberheim.com/

looks like a TVS Pro Special Edition will be released this year as well.

3 Likes

gogogogogo Sequential Circuits!

1 Like