Finding the SEM-poly of my dreams. What alternatives are there out there?

I really love the sound of the OB-Xa and SEM *-voice, much due to their SVF multimode filters, but in searching for a alternative the market seems a bit scarce? Specifically the ability to morph LPF-Notch-HPF and anywhere in between without stepping is what gets me going. So what hardware synths - digital or analog - does this, that you can think of? The ones I’ve found that seem to do this are the following (updated 19/01/21)

• Sequential Ob-6
  • SE Code/Omega 8
  • Oberheim Xpander
  • Modal 002/008 (?)
  • Alesis ION/micron (?)
  • Arturia Polybrute
  • Moog One
  • Abstrakt Instruments VS-1
  • Roland JD-XA
  • Roland JD-800 (?)
  • ASM Hydrasynth

What am I missing? Are there any cheaper alternatives, and perhaps VAs that have the SEM-filters emulated?

SE Boomstar SEM… two versions
SE modular SEM filter module

1 Like

In addition to the ones you found, I could recommend the DSI Pro2. I love its Filter 2 for exactly the Sem design I love too…seemingly morph between lp,notch,hp. Sounds lovely

4 Likes

But these are mono. :frowning_face: There’s a ton of mono synths with the SEM-filter out there, but when it comes to polys, not so much it seems.

this Four Voice signed by Hans Zimmer for a cool $16k

4 Likes

I believe the Arturia SEM V is a poly SEM.

Arturia origin, with the last firmware 1.4.1 added sem filter (1.4 actually) and it’s amazing. Should be way cheaper than the other synths you mentionned. BUT, you need to fully test it, all the encoders and buttons when buying one.

Wait for Sequential during Namm. They could be launching a newer SEM poly synth with the vintage knob function of the prophet 5/10 rev4

ehhhh… I’d say that’s unlikely. one of their top dev’s comments over at MW and has all but said they’ll introduce the vintage knob algorithm to the “slop” knob on the OB-6 and Prophet 6. but maybe not for a while. plus they just came out with the Prophet 5/10 and aren’t meeting demand for them yet. I doubt you’ll see a new SEM style poly so soon.

3 Likes

I am still hoping Tom comes out with something new. He said in an article a little over a year ago he had something coming out soon. I am sure with covid setbacks and whatnot things got delayed. So I am hopeful he releases something this year, but who knows.

2 Likes

I’ve got the SEM Mk2 and it’s awesome.

1 Like

For Poly though, sounds like you’ll be best going software for now… And saving for an obie!

1 Like

slightly OT, but looks like I wasn’t far off with this prediction:

8 Likes

OMG!!! :yum:

I’m both OT and being pedantic, so apologies, but this line

With the vintage operation, you can dial in some lovely old-school randomness for a more warm, organic, and alive character.

I followed the Prophet 5/10 thread on another forum, and the head dev explained the vintage knob does not introduce randomness (the slop knob on the P6/OB-6 was actually random, which could sometimes sound bad).

The vintage knob/method uses very specific, exact variances between voices, which they got from measuring vintage synths. So they basically have a ‘table’ of variances stored in the firmware, measured on a bunch of different vintage models/components, and based on how far you turn the vintage knob it will select the more or less extreme set of variances.

Edit: I just thought it was interesting, so sharing, not really my intention to correct the article or whatever

4 Likes

it’s worth reading the Nord Wave 2 review in Sound on Sound Magazine :wink:

1 Like

Will do!

I too remember Mr Oberheim talking about having something new on the way, but it’s been a bit quiet since then…

Thanks for the input yall

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, this is exciting. I sure hope so!

(Lookup table is similar to the approach described on http://www.voicecomponentmodeling.com/)

I came across this demo of the OB-6 Filter with Vintage Knob:

6 Likes