Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Anyone using audiorack expansions with their Qu-Pac?

1 Like

like this one ?

I bought a similar stand for it, so i could top it on my Octatrack. I bought it from the local super market for 10€. It looks very stylish, as its red, complimenting all the black machines.

Actually it had two stories height, but i just build it with one level, that was enough.

1 Like

I place mine on top of my 4U rack. Works well that way for me, though it’d be nice to have a study case for it to make carrying it out of the studio more easily, but I don’t play out, so it’s good the way it is.

1 Like

I like having the metering and spectrum direct in front of me, thats a very cool feature - immedeatly see whats wrong. I still wonder if the low frequency´s in red are wrong, or if thats the way to go. If high frequencys gets red - its unpleasant when i turn up the volume. Is there any recommendation for techno bass level ? I normally went to - 10 / -12 db RMS in Abelton Live.

Can someone describe the quality of the effects some more? How does the reverb compare to Elektron’s reverb, or Eventide’s reverb? Is the compressor preferable to the RYTM’s compressor?

What about the new Elektron Mixer ?

:wink:

8 tracks seems rather limited for a mixer. You could use all the tracks with just the RYTM. There would have to be some interesting goodies for this mixer to make sense.

The effects are pretty stellar for a mixer. I would say the reverb is the best effect of the bunch and could hang with an Eventide Space, but it probably won’t have the number of algorithms that the Space is capable of.

The EQ and compressor are very capable and I would say they’re similar to what you’d find in Logic.

Hey Sternenlicht,

How does the Novation circuit fit into your setup ?

Are you using it purely for sequencing ?

Talking about the fx section I miss a pitch shifter. I haven’t found any similar in the mixer. The delays are good enough and the reverbs sound nice. I tend to use them on send / return way.
Compression is good too, and the noise gate is perfect for noisy machines such as the electribe emx

Is there a way of automating levels and effects within the mixer with it synced via Midi, or is there a way to automate them via Midi?

I don’t know. I’m using it just with machines, not yet for DAW purposes .

Nevermind, I glossed over the manual a bit. I was hoping there was some way I could control the Qu Pac’s parameters using a Monomachine. No dice I think; still really want one though,

I really like the novation circuit, i programmed custome patches in the editor, i think its powerfull sounding, and the sequencer is also very good, i.e. it utilizes scales like push. Its like having a small hardware push, with sound. Currently it can only send on midi channel 1,2 and 10 for drums.
I find it very usefull as additional filler for drums, allthough the drums sound synthetic, and only 64 drum sounds are available, they can be tuned quiete flexible with the macro controls. Its a very immedeate device - one problem of the circuit is that when you switch sessions, (like kits on the A4) you can hear it switching, when some FX are running with the synth aswell, but if you use it with other gear like the elektrons, i add some sequence (make it louder, turn the filter up or so.) then when it has added its thing, i turn the filter down, and switch the session, then turn it up again, the rest of the hardware playing continously. For me its a keeper - i have not tried to sequence the A4 with the circuit, but will do it soon, and report back, as having minor, major, lydian, mixelodian scales at a finger tip is very handy to have, for me better as i am not a profficient keyboard player. (Well i will learn it soon i think , its usefull skill to have.)

The compressor on the Qu Pac is in my ears very punchy, and can come down to 300 Âľs for the attack, and can act as limiter aswell. Its not as good as the limiter from Fab Filter, but its very usable, and might educate you to be better at mixing, instead cranking vst FX, (which i am guilty off.)
Compared to the analog compressor in the RYTM it does not provide as much character, but its very usable for clean sounding compression.

The gated reverb can be used as a little cleaner version of the dark reverb in the octatrack. I find it very good sounding.
For the delay i did not find so much use, yet - probably to add some more high frequencys to the mix, as it does not have beat detection, you need to calculate the bpm time, and set the ms for timing. Its doable, but i can just see it as additional FX to supply some general atmosphere for the mix, not as DJ FX unit.

It probably does not have soo many FX in comparsion to the Behringer X18, but the recording feature is very very cool. Also the touchscreen, the routing, the realtime analysis etc … i am very very happy with the qu pac.

how is the fx tail getting recorded? is it just glued to every track? or is it a dedicated fx track?

Some cheaper digital mixers do have onboard fx but aint capable to record it.

It’s possible to do send / return so the return channel is recorded as it is. Reverbs and delays remain after you 've pressed stop on the main machine.
Even you can EQ the return channel to give a proper mixing for the effect. In case of a reverb I tend to apply a cut to the lower frequencies so you have more space for kicks and basses.

1 Like

Regarding "can you do … ", one suggestion is to download the User Manual from the Allen & Heath website. I found reading the manual very helpful to figure out what can be done.

I can’t praise enough my Midas Venice F32. If you have the space take the 32ch…I for example am using about 16 tracks for audio in, others are mainly for returns and stuff…Keep in mind that if you want to use VSTs on Send buttons on the console, everyone eats one FW channel. Since I looove analog/hybrid gear with analogue approach & workflow, this beast is m.a.g.i.c. [/quote]
Ah yeah - my local gear shop recommended that desk.
Not sure I will have the space though. :confused:

Can somone enlighten me with the compressor /limiter on the master ? Do you you use it, or some external compressor ? What are your settings ? I did more or less an extreme test, and got some cutted sinus curves on my bass, when i checked the file after the recording.

Well, i did turn everything down a bit, and it does good recordings - ok and i do know that i should not crank everything up and expect a good mix, how do you approach level control and maximise loudness ?

No, I don’t use the comp on the master, but I have a stereo compressor (RMS755) that I use on my master bus. As for the settings, it really depends on the track, but often with a radio of 2:1.
I try and get the loudness similar to released tracks, but I also try not to squish all of the dynamics out of a track, if I can help it.