Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

QuPac stand for live performances.

The Allen & Heath Qu Pac mixer provides up to 32 channels, taking amazingly little space on the desk. However, one “drawback” of the QuPac is the position, with the front panel being vertical. A&H deliver with the QuPac rack mounts and it turns out that these can be used to build a stand. This requires a 18 (or 20) mm thick plank of wood, at least 898 mm long and at least 175mm wide. The two side pieces to which the rack mount is fixed measure 274x175 mm. The two triangles are cut from a 175x175mm square. Because the Qu Pac is hollow, one can connect the two ear pieces with a small stick (the remainder of the purchased wood). This means that no screwing is involved to put the sides on and off. The picture illustrates the construction.

5 Likes

Looks very professional, now i need some stand too, i orderd the mixer today.

There is some ikea furniture which works for racks aswell, probably your stand may be making more sense.

I had again a look on your graph, the “booth” is something like the personal monitor? Where one, would connect active boxes for themselfs?

Did you buy some bundled cable for this ? Not sure about the exact expression for it, something like “Kabelpeitsche”?

1 Like

The PA, big system is connected to the “Main LR” XLR outs. In DJing I have a monitor next to me, that is where the expression “booth” comes from. I should change that word. I am not sure what you mean with “bundle”. As usual, even though I thought I have plenty, I had to order tons of cables and, also as usual, did not always get it right and had to order even more cables :slight_smile: I ordered a XLR LED lamp with the QuPac.

For the stand, the design and first version was mine but when it came to the “stick” that holds it together, I asked my neighbor, who is a carpenter, for help. I gave him some money and it my amateur job now looks professional … I can ask him, if you want, whether he can build you one - you are from Hamburg?

I have a look how it turns out, once i placed it on my desk, that would be very kind - i am from Frankfurt /Düsseldorf, so quiet a distance to Hamburg. But i would of course pay for DHL etc. ( I normally sit in front of the machines, but it maybe wiser to get into a standing position.) As i sit all day due to my IT job.

Damm i cant´t wait till evening, so i could start to play around with it.

What is the meaning of this PAFL ? It sounds louder /better when its turned on, but i dont know what it actually means. It seems it switches between pre and after fader listening ?

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/mixer/pfl.html

Pre fader listen. But PAFL ?

Pre/After Fader Listen

This allows you to hear a particular channel via the headphone output. You can bind a softkey to clearing any PAFL selected channels so that you can hear the final mix.

It’s essentially a solo button, but only via the headphone out.

2 Likes

Thinking analogue though - anyone got suggestions for 32 channel analogue desks?

1 Like

Also - are we saying that effects such as compressors are causing latency on the A&H QU mixers?

There is the ZED R16 , ok - not 32 channel, but an analogue desk with recording.

I cant notice any latency with the compressor. (It also has latency compensation i.e. channel delay if you want to have it.)

Hi Purusha, where my father works there are carpentiers and I asked one of them to do a stand for the Q32. I took measures and later I painted the stand the carpentier made. Now I’m doing a kind of table with mdf and wood and I’ll put wheels for having a bit of movement. My intention is to have all the stuff around me for playing everything at a hand. I’m showing some pictures:

I think Olafs guide, saved me several days ! I cant thank you not enough for your guide. Following your tutorial, then a lot of things got clearer.

Soft Key´s, for instant recording ! Wooot

2 Likes

That’s a delay on one channel to compensate for latency on others - yes?

Yes, you could set off several mili seconds.

Here’s a quick lil’ mock up of how I have mine setup.

I used the softkeys for mutes and choosing between listening to my gear or listening to what’s in my DAW. So I’ll record with the gear softkey chosen and then to monitor from the computer, I’ll choose the daw softkey (USB Stream is selected for all).

For the Qu-Control, I’ve just done one screen where I can quickly/easily control all my volume levels. I’ll probably add some more Qu-Control screens when I’ve figured out things I wanna control immediately.

Ah, and I also have the mix out going to the Kaleidoloop to record all inputs for quick lil’ samples of what’s happening to play back (primarily for transitions).

Also, other than using a mute group to mute all channels, I haven’t found a use for groups or matrices.

Do you use the internal FX units ? I thought about a page for FX controls, but delay time etc is not setable via this control screen? (Did not try it yet- some more work to do.)

Yeah, I configured to use the internal effects on just the kaleidoloop (primarily the reverb). Other than playing around with them, I haven’t applied them to any other inputs/outputs.

They sound quite ok, but nothing to spectacular about it, not sure if i did try all the relevant parameters. Any hints are welcome.

I can’t praise enough my Midas Venice F32. If you have the space take the 32ch…I for example am using about 16 tracks for audio in, others are mainly for returns and stuff…Keep in mind that if you want to use VSTs on Send buttons on the console, everyone eats one FW channel. Since I looove analog/hybrid gear with analogue approach & workflow, this beast is m.a.g.i.c.

I can’t praise enough my Midas Venice F32. If you have the space take the 32ch…I for example am using about 16 tracks for audio in, others are mainly for returns and stuff…Keep in mind that if you want to use VSTs on Send buttons on the console, everyone eats one FW channel. Since I looove analog/hybrid gear with analogue approach & workflow, this beast is m.a.g.i.c. [/quote]
Wow, nice big console.

The main reason I chose the Qu-Pac was size, and that yeah, I don’t use faders much. If I had more space (and cash) I probably would have opted for a typical mixing console.

I will try it with this routing, probably adding the low tom to an extra port aswell, as i use it quiete a bit - i currently miss a cable with splitting to do so.

The main reason i have choosen the Qu Pac was because of the integrated recording feature. I hope it turns out well, so i just can just do finishing touches in the DAW, without to much hassle.

Ideally it would provide also Hifi Sound for an live act.

Honestly - i turned this thing on now with everything connected - i hear sounds from the Analog 4 - which i did not hear before, i almoast had the impression its a different synth. I had to double check the kit twice - unbelivable. I could also raise the volume of the AR - more than as i could going into the Octatrack. (And i didnt start to EQ anything yet.) I wasnt aware the the A4 produced so crazy low frequencys, i had to roll them of.
There is no EQ for the OT in isnt it ?

The NI Komplete 6 which i used before is complete rubbish compared to this.

The Octatrack inputs seem to degrade the signal quiete a bit, i did an ok gain staging, and its usable - but no where near as briliant as without the OT inserted. Its a somewhat tradeoff, i think i can configure scenes, where the AR is straight, and some where the OT processes the AR.

Also the real time analysis of the signal is fantastic , you can more or less instantaneous see what is done with the signal.