Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Yeah.brought it off eBay.thought I was gonna get scammed, but arrived and seems to work great

1 Like

Hi,

I’m looking into getting a QuPac to use primarily without a DAW. Could someone please confirm if the following workflow is possible/easy to accomplish:

1. Connect instrument to line-input-1 and record to Qu-Drive track-1.
  2. Disconnect instrument from line-input-1
  3. Patch playback of track-1 from Qu-Drive to channel-2
  4. Apply compression, effects etc to channel-2 and record to Qu-Drive track-2.

In short I want to know if I can build up a mix piecemeal, utilising pre-recorded tracks from the Qu-Drive, that can be further effected/re-fined without the original instruments being connected to the mixer.

Thanks in advance

It turns out that it’s not possible to record and playback with Qu-Drive at the same time, so the workflow I described above would not be possible.

1 Like

I think you could be right something like the Zoom LiveTrak L-12 could fulfill my needs. But it doesn’t look like it has the studio quality eq, compressor etc that I desire.

One of the big appeals of the QuPac was having a visual parametric EQ, a quality compressor per channel and being able to use the visual RTA.

The QuPac seems very close to what I need, but unfortunately seems to be somewhat restricted in the multi-tracking aspect.

Thanks for the suggestion @Ray-Ray_Velouria, I think that could work.

So if I understand correctly, my workflow for my contrived example would be:

1. Connect instrument to line-input-1 of QuPac.
  2. Route channel 1 output to multitrack recorder and record to track-1.
  3. Disconnect instrument from QuPac.
  4. Connect track-1 output from multi-track to line-input-1 of QuPac.
  5. Optionally apply compression, effects etc to channel-1 and record to Qu-Drive track-1.

Any suggestions on a good multitrack device that could fit? I guess ideally it would have a similar number of tracks as the QuPac does channels.

Thanks again.

I remember having read something about reading QuDrive tracks while recording other ones…
Are you guys absolutely sure this can’t be done? Got to check this again.

@hereiamhere75 you can perfectly use a delay and send it back into itself. On the Qu24 I have, it’s really easy to handle, and you can use the EQ to filter the feedback…

1 Like

@LyingDalai see the Qu-Drive modes section of the following article:

Multitrack Record + Multitrack Playback, not supported simultaneously.

http://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/201/understanding-qu-drive-and-usb-devices

2 Likes

Oh, I have just figured the manual was not really helping in this regard.
Thx for the link, @b73!

Yes, I have an AR84. You’ll have access to all additional INs/OUTs via the in/out menu under setup.

I use the 3 stereo outputs on the QuPac for my 3 outboard effects. You’ll have to eat up some inputs, but that’s how I go about it.

3 Likes

Yes, you can mute whatever you’d like and route anything pretty much anywhere. I’ll often route multiple effect outputs to a Group which is what I’ll end up recording instead of the single effect outputs.

3 Likes

I am selling my Qu PAC pm me if interested

i am keeping my qupac, but selling my ar84 if you’re in need of more inputs/outputs.

I finally got one after 2 years hunt for a good deal. Once i had it i realized that i should have bought the first time i saw this thread.

2 Likes

those breakout boxes, do they introduce any latency? Might get one or two to save running wires everywhere

i don’t notice latency, but the AR84 does whir a bit. other than that, it’s been a great option for adding additional inputs/outputs.

2 Likes

Whir? it has a fan or something?

yes, has a cooling fan. if it’s close by it’s very noticeable.

1 Like

Yup, xlr to line works fantastic, using my specular tempus this way :slight_smile:

Off topic, the built in effects are not that bad btw…

3 Likes

aye, no issues using the XLR mix outputs. they sound good to my ears, but i’m no expert.

as for the internal fx, i’m quite fond of the reverb.

3 Likes

Are the QuPac fx the same as on the SQ-5? I am not sure I like the fx too much on the SQ-5… But plenty of outputs at my disposal so setting up fx loops is not a problem. Using a line level shifter for going with balanced XLR into unbalanced quarter inch and back.