Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

That’s a good question… I’ve just sent audio to the octatrack and I can say there’s no latency so the octatrack’s audio outputs where inserted in the mixer and all the channels up and all the sound was on tempo.
For doing external processing such as using pedals or other kind of efects processors would be my own doubt but I don’t have that kind of external gear to try. In a future I wish to have a reverb and a delay from boss possibly. Sorry!

I’ve also got my eye on one of these.

Maybe when the round of redundancies in my day-job is done and dusted…

how is the fx tail getting recorded? is it just glued to every track? or is it a dedicated fx track?

Some cheaper digital mixers do have onboard fx but aint capable to record it.

Here is a video from the Q32. Sorry for the quality recording and my shaking hands. In fact it’s the first video I upload to you tube :dizzy_face:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1YU4XKoOlGd-HRhR2RXjQ

I’ll be investigating more,

regards!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the video deka.

In the recording menu, you can select the inputs to record - could the FX bus be an input ? Or one of the mix buses ?

My ideal mixer would have - 8 FX stereo send-returns + inserts on every channel + 4 band parametric EQ wit q per channel. Direct pre/post EQ switchable outs with the ability to cut them from the main mix. ( but keeping them on the direct-outs ). It would also be a matrix where everything can be mixed with everything . 4 Stereo - groups with EQ - insters and FX -return… and 2 headphone - outs :joy:
ANALOG > 32 Channels :slight_smile:

You are welcome.
I don’t know exactly, so, the multichannel recording is configured per se inside the mixer’s software, maybe with a sync DAW could be possible but I’m not sure.
At this point I’m taking notes while I’m learning functions so my intention is to send an email to the dealer here in Spain in order to ask for some features the mixer should have and / or probably the brand can create in a nearly future. They said that there would be upgrades for the firmware to include some new plugins or whatever they could think is interesting for the final user.

Time based stuff like reverbs and delays work fine even with latency, it’s compressors and filters that cause trouble. My mixer has a latency of about 1.5 milliseconds which is way too small to notice by ear or cause flamming but if I try parallel compression … phaserooni! All the analog mixers I’ve had obviously never had this problem so it never occured to me until I bought a digital mixer…

Time based stuff like reverbs and delays work fine even with latency, it’s compressors and filters that cause trouble. My mixer has a latency of about 1.5 milliseconds which is way too small to notice by ear or cause flamming but if I try parallel compression … phaserooni! All the analog mixers I’ve had obviously never had this problem so it never occured to me until I bought a digital mixer…

I take note. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Long - live analog mixers !!!

I finished with creating a template last night for the green select buttons, softkeys, and qu-control, but when setting the softkeys, there was an option to set one for PAFL clear…what exactly does that do? I read that it’s similar to soloing a channel, but when I PAFL’d a channel, I wasn’t able to solo it. Any idea what the point of PAFL clear is?

I think PAFL button is for listening to throw the headphones output… I’ll have a look just in case…

In case you have not seen it. I have in my notes a section on the Qu Pac mixer and two workflows how I use it.

1 Like

@zfigz: PAFL clear, clears all PAFL (headphone cueing) assignments.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s been helpful. I programmed mine last night, though a bit differently. For instance, I have two softkeys, one for local play (when i’m not using a computer), and daw/usb streaming play (when i’m using my daw).

The rest of my softkeys are mostly for mutes.

Thanks indeed
regards!

The Qu mixers have a noise generator on board (white, pink and band-pass). In the latest version of my notes, I describe how one can feed this into an effect pedal (in my case the Eventide H9) to create risers, sweeps and atmospheric elements. The new H9 SpaceTime algorithm does a nice job and the mixer can therefore also be used to create tension or add some background to the music :slight_smile: Actually, there is not much to describe: Press Setup > Audio > SigGen and then make the assignment of the noise signal generator to the desired mix or group (going into the effect pedal) and that’s it.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:

I add this tip to the thread, it may be doable on the Qu Pac as well: