Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Yes, I don’t have mine in front of me, but go to setup I believe and then there’s an option to change up what you record via qu-drive or USB.

1 Like

Sure! mine is set like the following:
CH1-16 corresponds to physical mono inputs 1-16; CH17-32 is Stereo Inputs and Effect Returns… works flawlessly :grinning:
32 channel streaming is for DAW only though.

2 Likes

Is the case while recording onto USB stick?

You can record 18 tracks to the USB stick at once in Multitrack recording mode.

These 18 tracks can be made up of any combination of these channels:

CH01 to CH32,
ST1,ST2,ST3 L or R,
FX1,FX2,FX3,FX4 Return L or R,
Grp1 to Grp8
Mix 1 to 4 (these are the mono mix outs)
Mix 5 to 10 L or R
LR Pre L or R (LR being the Main Outs)
LR L or R
L+R Pre
L+R
MTX 1 to 4 L or R (Matrix Outs)
PAFL L or R.

It’s an incredible bit of kit. Highly recommended. (EDIT: even if it is only 18 tracks of multitrack recording to USB stick and not 24 as I stupidly posted earlier)

3 Likes

Just to mention it: i tryed to record the third stereo in which is the one with the small mini connector in the front of the mixer - it actually is generating noise when recording. I didnt check if its actually recorded but it was so annyoing that i couldnt finish the take. I went to the A&H forums, and they confirmed its a bug in the current OS of the mixer.

So i did not use the third stereo in and moved the synth to ports on the back. I did not further troubleshoot it , maybe it works if streamed over usb, if i run out of ports i give it another shot.

Since when?

The manual says, and my QuPac allows for only 18 to USB stick.

2 Likes

Ach, you’re right. I shouldn’t post while drinking. Christmas or otherwise.

Multitrack recording to USB is 18 tracks.

2 Likes

Darn, I had my fingers crossed for an increased USB recording track count via mysterious firmware update.

Thanks for nothing, Santa

:wink:

1 Like

Do you regularly find yourself wanting to record more than 18 tracks? That’s a busy session!

1 Like

Not at the same time, but if you like to record external stereo FX 16 channels are not soo much. RYTM takes 8 channels , A4 at least 2. 10 channels. Octatrack 2 - 4 channels. (cue out.) 12 channels now add external FX return channels stereo, again 2 ports … One more synth, and thats it. Well it somehow stops your gas untill you add more channels to your mixer. (Or record sub groups, or stream via USB.)

1 Like

Where do I change the settings on the Qu PAC?

I can confirm the ST3 records fine over USB to the DAW

3 Likes

Do you bring the Qu Pac for live gigs ? Or what do you use then?`I think its a bit heavy. (Ok, i might be lazy.)

No.

I use a Vestax dj mixer live, running stereo outputs from my Elektrons and Looper into it.
And the stereo aux send feeding the looper.

I prefer DJ mixers live for ergonomics.

3 Likes

Go to Setup, I/O Patch, USB Audio - First 18 channels are Qu-Drive Multitrack.

If you don’t want to change these because you have them set up for USB streaming, I would save the scene, make the changes, save a new scene - that way you can flip between recording to DAW or USB stick. (Unless someone knows an easier method?)

1 Like

OK that’s like the X fader transition trick in the octatrack setup, the looper is synced via midi capturing the last 4 bars? And you then bring in new elements via the mixer, lowering the volume of the looper and eq? Cool idea, and no loss of audio quality.

1 Like

No, the scenes are definitely the way to handle this!

1 Like

Could you guys who own a qu-pac post some things that you’ve recorded through one? Most of the examples I find aren’t electronic music examples, and they seem…thin?

and if you want know which Elektron instruments were used for each track, go here: Adam Jay - Maxia Zeta Album (out now!)

6 Likes

Thanks Adam. Sounds great (as always).

1 Like