Field recorders

@LyingDalai
Thanks for the info.
I really just need a device to rec out from my MODEL1 (either TRS either mini-jack) but thought: why not these from Zoom as they double up as a field recorder.
Any other device I should consider in your opinion?
Thank you :slight_smile:

Zoom H5 is also another option. Similarly spec’ed but has a modular mic system. You can buy different capsules to suite your needs. The standard XY one is great and I’ve heard good things about the shotgun mic capsule.

1 Like

I use Sony’s PCM-D100 - great handheld recorder but not cheap.

2 Likes

The Zooms are good but I would also consider a Tascam DR100mkiii. Reportedly much less handling noise, more reliable battery life/meter, lower noise floor.

2 Likes

Olympus LS-100. I was happy with it, good quality and multi-track. I don’t use it anymore since I use Digitakt as soundcard, so I sell it now. if you are interested, pm me.

1 Like

Another +1 for the H4n. It’s just great. Zoom recorders have great sound quality. Haven’t tried any others, but compared to my studio recordings, they sound just fine! I’m actually looking to get their U-24 for a convenient audio interface to haul along on trips. Midi in/out, IOS compatibility and same preamps as the H5/6. But that one doesnt store audio, so in your case, you’re better off with th H-series! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine broke while doing nothing. Can’t recommend. For me it’s now the most unreliable field recorder I ever owned. Also the power supply is wonky for me. It’s an expensive brick lying around I can’t even sell now due to this.

1 Like

I also have the Tascam DR-100 MKIII and Im very happy with it. Very good audio quality for being a handheld recorder and a great set of features.

1 Like

I also use the H4n. Audio quality is fine, has decent monitoring and an overall solid recorder for the stereo bus. Tried to use a H6 earlier, but the gain knobs drove me absolutely nuts. The H6 has separate gain knobs for the 1/2 inputs and it’s easy to accidentally ump them, and setting a constant gain for L/R channels was a pain. The H4n has a single button-based control over that, can’t accidentally bump that anymore. I’ve specifically bought a used H4n as a master jam recorder.

1 Like

This is precisely why I hate it. I missed so much because of it. Also, holding it by hand will produce a massive plastic noise that will be recorder at high level.
That said, nice sound, easy to use, great price.
Bought a Tascam DR-100 Mk3 which is awesome. Only drawback is that it doesn’t work as an audio interface for computers.

1 Like

I bought a sound devices Mixpre3 a while back for high quality portable. 3 excellent high quality XLR inputs/pre amps. I can choose which mics I want to use and its really solid unit. Runs on battery pack for out and about. Now replaced by mk2. Not the cheapest mind (but cheaper for sound devices). Has stereo/aux input as well.

3 Likes

I have a Yamaha poketrak (w24) which I like. Small, fast, internal + microSD, high resolution, line in or built in xy mic. It also comes with a remote, which is handy for reducing “hand held” noise. Also functions as a tuner & mp3 player both of which I use occasionally

the Sound Devices MixPre’s are fantastic but also have a price tag that reflects that. Certainly worth the money if one can/wants to afford it.

On the cheaper end, the Zoom and Tascam recorders do a good job. Personally I own a Zoom H5 which is nice and works flawlessly. The TASCAM recorders to my ears have a higher noise floor than the Zoom recorders, which is why I went with a Zoom.

1 Like

Picked up a Fostex FR2LE a while back during my brief foray into field recording - paired with a decent mic, the sound quality was excellent for quiet atmospheric type recordings. Not as good as Sound Devices but still very low noise. Unfortunately it was all a bit too big to be carrying around on a day to day basis.

If you’re not specifically looking for a handheld, it could be worth looking at their latest offerings as they’re pretty well specced and quite affordable.

1 Like

Thanks a lot to all for the detailed inputs.
I (maybe) should not have added “field recordings” as this will not be the main purpose. I am looking mainly for a device that I could bounce my mixes to.
As stated I have a spare mini-jack (rec Out -12dB) as well as a spare pair of TRS outputs (mix 2) on the MODEL1.

What‘s the budget you have in mind?

Given your desired use case, you should make sure that the device you get can circumvent its preamps if you’re going line in only. Cheaper/lower tier Zoom and Tascam recorders can’t do that (so your signal will go through the preamps which means your signal will pick up the sound/noise floor of the preamps), the higher tiered ones can.

Avoid Zoom H1N as its input does not support standard line levels. I always have to go down by 18db.

I‘m currently looking for a field recorder that i can use as an external file storage (via sd card). That means it should have good file management and quick and easy prelistening function for samples. Basically just a quick browser with good navigation and auto-preview. Can anyone recommend something? Oh, and price shouldn‘t be too high… Thanks!

@eangman

I’m looking at getting one of these units - some reviews I read reported noise on recordings if headphones were not plugged in during recording. Did u encounter any such noise issues?

Thats nothing i really thought of or noticed. But I can do some testing. Does the problem occur when using the internal microphones or external?