Field recorders

I habe the original H1 and am pretty satisfied with it. Granted, I don’t need the best audio quality and can live with a few noises. But overall, it was a great investment. I always have it in my bag and also used it to record voices which turned out quite well.

If you are looking for something that takes “audi-snapshots”, you can’t really go wrong with it for that price.

As far as I heard the Olympus devices aren´t as good for music, because of too many unnatural high-frequencies and missing bass, though the build quality e.g. of the LS-5 and LS-11 is much better than a Zoom H2.
Here´s a nice site for extensive tests of field recorders,
unfortunately only in german:
http://www.audiotranskription.de/

the winner of the “music-test 2013” is Zoom the H2N
http://www.audiotranskription.de/content/musiktest-2013

another Tascam DR-40 user here.

I actually use mine to record all my studio stuff now too, as I’m a live to stereo jam kinda guy…just import the final WAV into Pro Tools.

you can rarely go wrong with Tascam - it’s not glamourous or flashy, but it tends to work. I’ve been using their stuff right from the original portastudios …through to DA-30 DATs & DA-88 multitrack DTRS…analogue & digital desks…always does a job IMHO.

1 Like

Well if there’s one thing I trust it’s a German product review :slight_smile:

I’ll probably try and go hunting for deals on the Zoom tomorrow.

i think the zoom r8 , r16, or r24 are pretty cool because you can go about making stuff with what you record on the device itself. i had an h4n, but i ended up with lots of files to sort and i’m pretty lazy ( so it didn’t happen :wink: ) . it is helpful to get started right away even if i don’t finish it…

got an r24. the built in mics (probably) aren’t aren’t as nice, but they sound good enough to me, plus you can plug other stuff in and mic placement is half the fun for me. funnily enough, i record from my phone plugged into it a lot because it has low handling noise and pretty good directionality. if i was going to get one over again i’d get the r8, i think.

The R24 doubles as a nice set-up mixer or summing mixer. Have never used it as an audio interface as have a Scarlett 18i20

Any reason why I should get the Tascam DR100 over the DR40? Better build quality is all I could find?

Proud user of the venerable Zoom H2 here. Nowadays I’m sure there’s plenty of really good alternatives, but I really enjoyed the simplicity of it. And it sounded good too.

H2n user here as well.

The sound when touching the case is pretty annoying, other than that, no complaints.

Found the H2N for a good price in a local shop and grabbed it. Sounds good, but as vardagligheten said touching the device carries over to the recording so it should be avoided.

Even works as a mic for my computer, though it’s a bit too good at picking up sounds to be a good fit for that :slight_smile:

I use the Zoom H4n but with remote controller and Rycote windshield kit. This combined with Sennheiser HD 26 Pro headphones.

The sound quality is really fantastic!

Another very happy DR-40 user here as well. My first one was stolen. I happily purchased another one to replace it. Get yourself a little micro pelican 1040 case to go with it and there is just enough room to fit a USB cable in there too.

Another vote here for the DR-40; only thing on these is to make sure to use balanced mics if you use it’s Pre-Amp, otherwise you will get this weird helicopter noise during quite passages,

Hi all,
Have all my inputs taken on my MOTU.
Would like to know what you recommend to record my mixes straight from my mixing desk: field recorder would be an option as this could also serve other purposes.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks in advance,
V

Edit: have a mini-jack Rec Out (-12dB), a pair of stereo outs available to connect to it.

zoom h4n

4 Likes

@kite_splash Thanks
Why this one in particular?

great audio quality, excellent build quality, battery and outlet powered. headphone monitor, 2x 1/4 inch or xlr inputs, built in mics (that sound great). sd card storage, ability to listen back and edit waveforms directly on device. multiple formats of audio to choose from when recording. it also double as an audio interface when plugged into your computer. oh and you can pick them up pretty cheap these days

1 Like

@kite_splash
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re quite welcome :^ )

1 Like

I also have a H4n.
While the audio is really good, there are a few things I find annoying:

• it’s big and heavy. You can’t put it in your pocket, and it’s easily spotted
  • it takes some time loading, like its scanning the whole card, before every launch. With a 32GB SD card it used to take me 30s every launch. I thus took a 4GB SD card. Stil, annoying.
  • power supply is not included. Could be cool to have one when recording e.g. sessions with gear.
  • it’s only one stereo in (I thought the 4 would make it possible to record 2 stereo simultaneously, alas you have to get the bigger thing for this).

All above advantages are true, I thought it would be a good thing to ponder it.
Definitely not what you would expect in 2020, IMHO.

2 Likes