Field Recorder or other to expand Digitakt

Hey guiz,

i’m looking to get a field recorder or a similar device to pair with my digitakt. Not primarily for recording, but to use it as kind of an external HD with browsing capabilities.

What i want are 3 things:

• Storage for lots of samples of any length and any file format (wav & mp3 of all sample rates & formats plus flac would be nice).
  • Be able to browse & preview these samples in a smooth, quick and intutive way. Ideally, it would include a form of scrubbing, so i can quickly search through long samples and find the nice parts to sample.
  • Small form factor/portability.

Basically my ideal device would be a SP404 with unlimited samples and a good browser. So i was thinking maybe there is a portable recorder that can do the job… Any ideas? At the moment i own a Tascam DR-40, but the browsing on it is horrible and it’s very picky about sample rates etc.

PS: Please don’t say laptop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
PPS: Writing this, the MPC Live comes to mind. But it´s too big and expensive. MPC500 could be an option, but i don´t know about supported filetypes and browsing on that one…

I was thinking about getting a Sound Devices MixPre 3M. Might suit you. But now I record to my OT.

I was and still looking also for a field recorder for lots of experiments not mainly for storage of samples/wav etc so I think with the most basic field recorder would fit your needs but think again! Search and compare because a lot of field recorders today!

I would rather spend a little more to get more supercool stuff on it like for example:
-looping functionality
-setting markers
-speed options!
-nice little screen
-sd card support
-few inputs
-maybe more tracks (like a digital 4 track field rec)
-some come with nice reverb fxs
-etc

Zoom H1n?

I realized that i am stupid. What i am looking for is called smartphone with SD Card, and sits on my desk already :relieved:
At least as far as storage, browsing, etc is concerned. iPad would be nice as well, but i hate having to use itunes for file transfer, and apple’s price for storage is insane, so thats off the table.

1 Like

iPhone/iPad might suit, with the addition of an external microphone, like this for example:

(I have a PCM-D50, which doesn’t meet some of your requirements, and I haven’t tried any of the Rode IOS mics)

Edit: sorry, didn’t see your message about iOS being off the table :slight_smile:

You´re right though about the i-XY. Ipad with mic & lots of fun processing apps + smartphone for external sample storage might be a good combination, and still very portable.

1 Like

https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/voice-recorders/pcm-d10#features_benefits_35607496595930691371079843 I’m waiting for this to drop.

1 Like

Also, some apps support IOS’s “storage” options quite seamlessly, like iCloud Drive and Dropbox and NextCloud and whatever.