Feelings about switching Digitakt for OT

Alright an emotional post…
I swear I am not drunk or on painkillers.

After playing with the digitakt I am feeling comfortable to take the plunge to an OT. The main reason is to use it live as a mixer for a small setup.

Another main reason being that I am worried about chaining devices into the rytm as it has a low level on its inputs, and to mess with the scenes on the OT.

Just wanted to say that having people in this forum makes me feel so much more confident going to the OT. Everyone has been so helpful in the past few years since I started using Elektron gear.

Big thanks!

9 Likes

You won’t regret this decision. I promise. Expect a little time to get into all these new possibilities. But it’s easier if you already have a dedicated purpose for the Octatrack.
I wish you the best. Interesting times to come.

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
I have been super nervous as this is a big purchase for me and the last time I had an OT it was daunting to learn.

However, after a few years with elektron gear I feel determined to get on with it.

And like you said I am going to set up one project exactly how I want it and then keep everything that way for live use.

Then practice my ass off. And repeat.

It’s actually a big day for me tomorrow

• selling my rytm mk1 and uprading to the rytm mk2
  • trading in the digitone or digitakt (not sure which yet) towards the OT mk2

I love using samplers so am tempted to keep the digitakt, but do like the weirdness of the digitone (I use it for pads and atmospheric drones going through a dub delay then reverb pedal). But I think I will use 2 or 3 tracks on the OT going out the Cue outputs to these pedals for this.

So many options! But like you said having a plan is amazing.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

My favorite setup is similar. I have:
Rytm mk2
Octatrack mk1 (someday will upgrade to mk2)
Digitone
A4 mk1 (no real use for upgrade as long as it lasts)
And some other peripheral effects and stuff.

The last months I primarily use these 4 machines as my main sound sources.
And it just feels right. No need for anything else for composing. I digg deeper every day, not much thinking, just doing. It’s pure pleasure.
Of course I had some struggle with learning each machine, often reorganized my setup, had some hard times, but at some point everything just falls in its place. Now I’m totally comfortable with this combination. Sometimes it feels like having Reason on a table.

My workflow was to build up tracks in a daw, but I wasn’t able to do anything live. Now I’m totally into live playing and then make some recordings with minimal postproduction.
It’s weird. As I learned guitar, I hated practicing so much. And now I find myself loving to play and practice (and extend) my tracks mostly every day.

For me personal, OT and Rytm offer enough possibilities for sampling and sample playback.
I never would sell my Digitone. It’s really a big thing to me.

6 Likes

Cool:)
I am undecided about the Digitone.
Might end keeping it as I do like the weird sounds it can make. Reminds me of my childhood sometimes as I am a child of the 80s (ie born in the 70s).

What type of music do you make?

Mine always end up dubby downtempo.

Go for it! OT isn’t as hard as people make it out to be. Just focus on the things you want to do with it and don’t get bogged down in all the things you can do with it.

3 Likes

Hm… It’s always hard to describe my own music as I’m not so good at genres. Maybe Experimental Electronic Something. My current tracks are very smooth and soundscapisch, sometimes strange, less straight but steady.:no_mouth:
You may check out my Soundcloud for further knowledge. We are already following each other😉.

Will do😋

1 Like

I’m in kind of same situation. Had DT since last december, got to feel comfortable with it. And after reading forum and watching some videos I decided to go for OT. Wasn’t sure if I should keep DT or trade it in. With some help from forum decided to keep DT for now, since I don’t have dedicated audio interface, i could use DT to record stuff I’m doing on OT. Also I still really love Digitakt and I think it would be cool to have it around for jams - i think anyone can get its basic functionality really fast. But i’m kind of looking at Digitone at the same time. I reckon that could be my next Elektron box, ater OT.

1 Like

We are really spoiled with so many great options.
I am thinking of downsizing even more actually.

1 Like

I think it’s Elektrons fault - their boxes are just too good :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Octopus is calling you, I don’t believe you have any choice in this matter, although you may think you do. Thankfully you can be assured the wonderful operators of :elot: Helpline here on Elektronauts are here to help you prepare for the rites of passage ceremony with the flex overlords, who are indeed smiling upon you in this auspicious moment, do you feel that slight tingle in your spine?

Although the path may seem arduous, it can begin as a nice stroll by the riverside, no need to get to the peak to quick or you’ll miss all the beautiful scenery along the way. The journey is the prize.

OT can be extremely powerful

But it’s also good with kids

And not to worry because OT features “User-Friendly Sampling Functionality” :wink:

- :elot: Helpline, for all your OTing needs since 2011…

3 Likes

I’m in the exact same spot! Two month with the Digitakt and already dreaming about a OT mk2, I’m just afraid I will lose the immediacy of the DT, it feels so quick and smooth, having both would be ideal but oh well

1 Like

I had both…once I got to know the OT I sold my DT…easy decision for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And then imagine if DT had slicing, live sample mangling/looping, individual fx per track, scenes fader to name few. Do you still think there is choice as @Open_Mike put it?
I’m starting to think that DT was carefully designed gateway drug to OT

I thought overbridge for the digitakt quenched my GAS for an octatrack. That was only for a few weeks though. Thomann had a B-stock OT mkII for a good price so I just went for it and bought it 2 weeks ago. It’s not as intuitive as the DT, but I can already tell that it is a keeper.
I’ve still got about 15 songs I need to record, mix and add vocals to from the DT, so it will stay at least as long as it will take me to finish that. But I already think about replacing the DT with a DN after that to reduce the overlap between OT and DT. Three elektrons would be too much for me.

1 Like

Then it would be an Octatrack. :wink:

My commentary comes from ancient lore and mythology, ya know, stonehenge, Atlantis, the great pyramids and such, I’ve spent years decoding runes. Shall not to be confused with modern cooperate synth conspiracy theories. :smile:

2 Likes

Wow this is nice, how much was the B-Stock OT? Apparently they don’t have any right now, but I’ll keep an eye open!

It was 1065€, basically brand new and has full warranty. This is the first time I paid that much for an instrument, but when you look at everything the OT can do, it is actually a pretty good deal. I had to sell my SP-404 to fund the OT, which was my first sampler from almost 10 years ago. So far, no regrets.

1 Like

I know the feeling, I sold my MPC 2000XL to fund the DT, no regret either! Anyway, that’s good to know, sounds like a great deal, I hope you’re having fun. :slight_smile:

OT would be my biggest purchase too, but it would replace my mixing console, my guitar looper… and my DT probably! So yeah, I don’t know when but one day I will answer the Call of the Octopus, aha.

2 Likes