Feedback loop ideas thread

Don’t be! :slight_smile:
Good stuff.

1 Like

Excellent. This thread may have just saved me a few hundred $ I was thinking of spending on a synth :hugs:

I have a 4 voices synth for you :
INABCD Jacks sampling challenge :loopy:

3 Likes

I was actually the first (I think) to post a track to that challenge!
Maybe I’ll try again now I’ve had the OT a bit longer, but the input jacks are reduntant…

1 Like

The second and the last you mean? :smile:
Thanks again, I forgot !

CUE feedback with comb filters, recording ABCD for noise, nothing plugged, no samples, one bar pattern moving crossfader.

10 Likes

I think the OT comb filters are fast becoming my favourite instrument :yum:

1 Like

Looks like I gotta get more acquainted with the comb filters :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is 3 minutes out of 2+ hours of letting my OT do the internal feedback thing. Thanks for the prompt to explore this, it can go to some pretty weird places.

and another minute I quite liked

3 Likes

Are their any delay+reverb+distortion feedback loop tricks you can do on the OT? Like when you self feedback a delay+reverb in the send and return on a mixer? I need to know…

Yeah definitely ! I used it on 2nd post example.

2 Likes

Great, thanks! I might have tried this before when I seen the other thread, but will have to attempt again!

Hah, great!
I have a (experimental music) gig coming up in December and still looking for ways to make the OT “do more” than “just” its usual shenanigans…

this might make it into my set in some way :slight_smile:

With nothing plugged, the trickiest thing is to engage feedback with control. I found something efficient : have a track recording input ABCD with max mixer gain.

With incoming signal, or a sample, the easiest is CUE recording, with CUE sends, or any track (except T8 set to Master).

1 Like

I find a little bit of crossfader sliding and random transcoder action usually gets something to happen. I kind of like the anticipation. Although it could be a bit nervy in a live setting- you know those gigs where people are asking ‘have they started?’

2 Likes

Has anyone experimented with adding external mixers, effects units, or modular into the equation of the feedback loop of the Octatrack? Was thinking about doing this, might be interesting… Or should I just stick with standalone feedback Octa with samples…?

I’ve been playing with your method this afternoon… Splendid results! But oooooh my poor ears haha.

Good results with a neighbor with SRR and delay modulated with crossfader (SRR stronger and stronger, delay time going from wide to super fast…).

Now, a stupid question, but: what is creating the sound in your setup? It’s not like the filter res is so high that it pings with whatever noise there is internally…

Feedback of a track recording itself IIRC!
(Microtiming needed).

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, I know, I’ve replicated it! I mean from a “scientific” point of view: why does the act of setting up a track recording itself create sound? How did you think about putting a filter and a reverb here? Why?

Dunno. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
But it’s a fact, common to different gear.

Experimentation. :content:
I previously noticed that filter could change feedback tuning. Delay or reverb allows you to increase feedback.

To prove that OT can do audio synthesis!

3 Likes