Feature requests: Internal “re”sampling

We all know the AR can’t sample from it’s external inputs. This might be “by design” because Elektron already offers two boxes that can sample, but it’s more likely because there simply aren’t any A/D convertors in the signal path of the external inputs (the external input only goes through the compressor and then back out again*).

However, all the voices have A/D convertors for the effect sends (which are digital) which will also be used for Overbridge. This means that it should be possible to implement a way to “re”sample the internal voices; either single tracks of the full mix currently playing.

I don’t think I have to describe the ways in which this might come in handy. Let’s just say a lot of users would like to be able to do this instead of having to hook up a computer, use Overbridge to record a single hit or a loop, and then use C6 to dump that recording back to the AR… :wink:

(* The compressor is supposed to be “analogue” according to the marketing materials, but it’s more likely that the signal level measurement as well as the actual processing is done digitally, just as in the FMR RNC)

1 Like

If this is correct, then the Analog Rytm will not be able to function as an audio interface for Overbridge, that is there will be no way to get external audio into the computer through the AR except as it appears at the main outputs. I would like to know if this is the case or not, my last question got no answer.

However, all the voices have A/D convertors for the effect sends (which are digital) which will also be used for Overbridge. This means that it should be possible to implement a way to “re”sample the internal voices; either single tracks of the full mix currently playing.

Sort of. It’s certainly possible, but there’s no way to know exactly how the memory and bandwidth are configured inside the AR. It’s equally possible that the AR is designed to work in half-duplex mode where all bandwidth is allocated to either reading from or writing to sample buffers, which would be a simpler system from a programming point of view. Of course the AR does read samples and write to memory during performance, otherwise delay and reverb effects would not be possible (because they are memory based). But the flash memory of the Plus Drive and the high speed RAM used for the FX are separate systems, so who knows…I like the idea, but it’s also true that this is getting into Octatrack territory.

Great idea. I hope it’s possible and implemented eventually.

So the AR won’t act as an audio interface with Overbridge? Does anyone know!!!

I thought Elektron said that all analog machines will feature this capability…

What’s the amount of time allowed for samples on the one gb +drive?

As mono files I’m guessing it’s about three hours of sample time.

Heyja,

Title says it all :wink: How about Resampling on the Rytm? Do you want it? Or do you think it isnt necessary?

I vote for Resampling on the Rytm!

Now that Elektron finally announced what i knew 2 years ago already :smiling_imp: Hehe, yeah - that MD and MnM are discontinued - i miss this feature from the MD UW even more :slight_smile: I dont know if its technically possible to implement it into the Rytm but if its possible i would love to see Resampling on the Rytm!!!

So what are your opinions?

Cheers
subb

PS: I know that you could semi-“resample” with the help of Overbridge. But this is basically a workaround and you need a computer to do so. I mean the real deal! Nothing less :slight_smile:

I vote: Yes! This is a longed for feature. I don’t believe Elektron designed the AR without the possibility to sample at all.

yes

Want !
:yum:

you mean that now that MD & MNM are discontinued, Elektron would just add these features to the AR? I doubt this will be the case. I condiser it more likely that the new upcoming elektron box will help with this (ie. overbridge compatible mixer/masher/resampler that can dump samps to AR)

1 Like

Eh - I’d prefer regular sampling. It’d make the stereo input on it useful and I’d end up using the thing 10x more.

Anyone know if the hardware is even capable of internal resampling without OB?

1 Like

hmm… hardware-wise, internal resampling might maybe be possible, there’s ADCs for each voice (for FX sends & Overbridge), and also one for the master out (for Overbridge).

Not sure how things are routed internally, maybe there are hardware limitations which prevent digital audio being captured from the ADCs by the main OS / sample RAM. Maybe it can only go straight to the USB or FX DSP.

Could be possible. Still doesn’t mean it will ever happen… would need a major UI update. MIDI sequencing would definitely be possible and nobody is holding their breath for that anymore, correct?

(And sampling from the inputs is definitely no-go, hardware-wise. If they are telling the truth about there being no ADCs at the inputs. They did keep the A4 +drive under wraps for a while…).

but yeah would be great!

1 Like

I’ve suggested this before: Feature requests: Internal “re”sampling

And yeah; I still want it! :slight_smile:

[Moderator’s note: duplicate threads have now been merged.]

2 Likes

havent noticed your thread. new elektronauts - is not so overseeable anymore ^^

But it seems that im not alone with this “wish” :slight_smile: if its even possible is something only Elektron can tell us. But we should push this thread so that it will be noted.

I mean … imagine the possibilities …:yum:

im dreaming now ! :smiley:

Resampling should really be and easy feature to implement and would after my taste make RYTH the king of sampling
also please make some better sofware then C6 and why can’t it take 24bit files when it operates there in overbridge ???
i have a list of ideas but that i would like to talk about with someone from the develop team ?

Also high pass low pass filter on the same page would make it a beast

stille is have a hole record only made from sampels i recod and put into the machine
also to be able to send sound from my RYTM to my A4 would be nice just frag and drop kinda